DBC-05 Triple XHP-50.2 Scratch Build !NOW XHP-70.2!

That’s a great looking light Dale :heart_eyes: , I think the XHP50.2 is a great emitter, I like the one I have in my Jaxman M2 and Eagle Eye X7 can’t imagine the output from three :sunglasses:

I've repeatedly failed with swapping springs - the springs fully collapsed is still a problem in the lights I've looked at. Of course you need a light with a tail switch in order to mod it - I got a lot of e-switch lights, many without tail switches, but i still got a bunch of lights with both, or regular clicky lights. Hhmmm. I'm not following it all, but I'll have to take a look at what I got again. I usually get stuck on dims that are critical to maintain, either for ground contact or switch/rubber spacing.

Adding a ring over the driver retaining ring might work well on some e-switch lights, depending on the threaded joint there.

The 20700A's have the thinnest tops I've seen, so a good amt of space has to be made up.

Do away with the switch spring and put a brass or copper button it. Just barely enough to clear the retaining ring. Make sure the spring on the driver is a good thick one and you’re good to go.

I’ve even drilled a small hole in a bit of copper that I was using for the contact, reflowed the end of a wire into the hole so I could still run a through board bypass to eliminate the traces as a weak service point. :wink:

This morning I got busy and fine tuned the battery tube so it seats fully, it now has an o-ring on it. Also reworked the switch assembly for an 18ga through board bypass. When I get cells that will deliver the oomph I’ll be ready for em. :slight_smile:

That is an incredible build! I want one. lol

Awesome Dale!!

Excellent build!! Begging for one…………….

What to you think it would cost?

$300?

$500?

Only the master DB knows that answer

Texas Ace was sort of teasing me about the cost, when you’re spending the time on it for yourself you’re not paying yourself labor rates of course so you tend to look at it in materials cost only. If shop rates came into play then it’d be a ridiculous amount! Which is why, at the very base level of it all, we buy Chinese made lights and US made stuff is cost prohibitive. I’ve got maybe $150-$175 for materials in it, but over 20 hours in the shop what with a couple of mishaps. I know I’m not a machinist and the typical $90 an hour shop rates can’t be applied, but even if only $10 an hour were figured then it’d easily be a $400 light. Sometimes our hobby isn’t very budget oriented.

To be cost effective you have to buy a cnc machine and run it almost 24/7.

Built by hand on a lathe is a whole nother world. :slight_smile:

I think you can buy an automated laser engraver for under $100 and do custom lettering and such to finish off your custom lights Dale. That would be the perfect finishing touch.

Well, not quite 24/7…… It all depends on what you are building. For a one off like Dale has built you have two choices. You can do what he did… and 20 hours isn’t too bad for that light on a manual lathe…. or you can spend the time in CAD / CAM and then feed the resulting code to a CNC. For the first one, you would end up shy of that 20 hours (probably) using a CNC… and you have the code if you want another one. That is where you make the difference. #2 will take much much much bunches less time. Bunches. If Dale wants another one…. ooops. back to square one. I’ve been there. That IS 24/7!

We have cut the time to make our light parts by close to 80% - 90% once designed, and code is in hand. Some parts we have cut that time even a little more. It just depends on the part. We made a bore inspection light for a long time customer last week… We cut the price for him and honestly made more money, even considering the investment. He was shocked and so are we!!! Happily shocked…but shocked. :open_mouth: TL

Just another obvious comment:

Awsome piece of work, Dale !

At some point though, for me, knowing the piece I just made is one of a kind and even IF I spent the time making another it’d be different, that is special and outweighs that there are 10,000 cones of my work out in the wild. Because I customize literally everything, this one-off has more meaning to me. If TL made 1000 of these and I bought one, I’d modify it probably same day so it would be uniquely mine. It’s an addiction I suppose.

The next one may or may not be drawn out in Photoshop first, it may or may not even have a rough sketch drawn on a napkin. Sometimes it’s just fun to start cutting the parts and make everything join together and see where you end up. :smiley:

THE SAME DAY!!! ? Don’t you mean “Hour of arrival” :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes sir, you are correct. I love the one off stuff I still do more than the production work. Lights like you and MRsDNF have just completed pass “Flashlights”. Those are pieces of art. They take a lot of thought and work that is just not understood or realized until you have made one. Pleasurable Torture! Ha! :wink: TL

Beamshots added at end of OP.

Added here for those following…

Haven’t done beamshots in a while, spring has the tree needing some trim work apparently. I’ve done some yardwork this weekend and managed to pinch a nerve in my neck… left shoulder and arm have a fire going on! Getting OLD!

The shoulder damage may of been caused by carrying around a large piece of copper. :wink:
Its funny how nature forces trees to grow and mess up our night shots. I’ll speak to sb and see what he can do about it.
Did you post anywhere what reflector you used?

I got the triple reflector at KaiDomain, 63.7mm x 29.5mm deep.

I see one now that wasn’t there before that’s 65.5mm x 32mm deep, probably would have bought this one had it been there when I ordered. I think I prefer the geometry and design of this one, don’t know how it’d work though.

The way each reflector cup is machined out on the back side would allow a lot of leeway for wires…

I seem to be inheriting the arthritis that crippled my grandmother. I have deteriorating discs from C2-C7 in my neck, both shoulders are giving issues, my right elbow has lost some 18º of range of movement and my hips/back are giving me fits for months and months now. Even my feet show early arthritis in x-rays. Turn 55 this summer, the next decade is gonna be fun it’s looking like. lol

Apparently, using a tree trimmer saw and looking up at a severe angle got the neck going crazy, shutting my left arm down and really really tough to deal with.

Figured out that I could be the first wise guy to say put my name in for the drawing, right?!

Good stuff from the mind and hands of DBC!

55!?..……… I got underwear older than that…………… All kidding aside, from experience, it doesnt get any better for the next 10 ……… try to enjoy what you can while you can and be thankful for just being here (I know that you are) and also know you are not alone if that is any solace.