Decided To Send My L3 Illumination K40 To Vinhnguyen54

Are these beam shots of the same modified TN31 - and only the batteries are different? There should be no significant change that’s why they look practically the same. :~

A mouseover on the stock and modded TN31 would be nice. :bigsmile:

The K40 I picked up in the recent GB will be going will straight to Vinh without ever even coming to me.

Figured I might as well save myself on shipping.

mine was going to, but i forgot to email Supbeam to let them know... at least now I will be able to take before and after lux readings

thats it. reading too much hype on this got to me. i cant let this one pass me by.
its about time to retire my present thrower (varapower turbo 2 dedomed sst90) anyways.

imma have to get this k40!

Smart man!

I think you will agree that Vinh’s work lives up to all the hype here.

After learning about Vinh’s method I am sorry I doubted you ILF.
His numbers were replicated quite easily by TomE and the reason behind it definitely makes sense.
It looks like the LED is now driven at 10+amps? Or am I reading that wrong…
Either way it is a great mod.
For reference 500kcd = 1,414 meters.

Apology accepted.

It’s all water under the bridge.

I don’t know why i keep clicking on this thread. I already have a vinh TN31.

I know its going to make me buy one of his K40s.

It would be money well spent :slight_smile:

I measured 3.48A at the battery carrier (effective 10.5A), didn't measure the amps at the LED yet, but maybe it's more than 6.5A? 1,700 lumens is wayyy up there, but maybe I'm not getting as good as throw #'s - not sure, suspect my short distance of 4.3m will cause an under reading, but I tried 7.1m and got about the same result. The de-doming looks real clean. Im re-using the stock, big copper star...

vinh - do you have an amp measurement done at the battery carrier?

Picture results agree with what I measured for amps and the light meter. I used KP 3400's and a set of Pana PD's, and results stayed just about the same.

Good to know, thanks

What kind of lux for the Supbeam with XML2 are you guys getting (stock and not de-domed)?

Vinh,

I never made it to the post office today. Son came home early from work due to rain and he brought his boss and friend with them. They said let’s go fishing so we did. We fished most of the time in a downpour and this is what we caught. Brandon’s(my son) boss caught a bass that weighed 5 and 1/2lbs that I told him to throw her back so somebody else could catch her. I just got done cleaning fish. Fish fry is Wed nite. I caught a big portion of those fish.

Wow!! That’s a bunch of fish!!

Thanks Rick.

Here’s Eric with his 5.5lb fish. That’s what I told him it weighed.

so the best batteries i can get for my k40 is the kp3400’s and pana pds?
are they both protected? i think i would rather have them protected for this one.

I still think the KP 3400's are the best protected cells around - great match for these lights, but other quality protected cells should work just as well - probably best to use 3400's because even 3400's won't last too long. The Pana PD's I used were unprotected - I know there are protected versions around, not sure where to get them.

Wow! That was some haul of fish!

Can I suggest Sanyo UR18650FM 2600mAh cells? They suffer less voltage sag at pretty much all levels but is more pronounced at around 2A and higher, which is what this light will demand.
Less voltage sag means the light will run on high (which is probably what you will be using) for longer. On lower levels the KP3400mAh are better but for 2A+ applications the Sanyo 2600mAh all the way!

You could be right about the Sanyo's, but I'm not seeing much of a difference in these lights with different cells - KP's, Pana PD's, Samsung 20Q's all the same output. Because you have a high qual buck driver and a high qual carrier, doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Of course I'm only checking for a minute or 2...