Dedomed LED Tints Compared: XP-G3, XP-G2, XP-L

Sounds like a emission profile test domed/dedomed XP-G2/XP-G3 is needed. Not that I have time for that soon…

I agree an emission profile test would be nice, but I predict it will not answer our questions. If it actually is not lambertian, and emission to the sides is less, the aspheric light should still perform well with the dedomed XPG3, but I think tests have shown it doesn’t.

FWIW, I measured the angular emission pattern of a domed and dedomed lattice bright LED and got results very close to those for the XPL HD and HI displayed in the datasheet.

I got my XP-G3s…
Yeah they completely suck for intensity, barely get 3/4 of what my XP-G2 can do, and the XP-L HI is still better even with a larger area.

On the plus side, higher efficiency = more lumens and less heat, and the tint looks nice IMO.
Also the die projection is a bit rounder due to the way the phosphor is, not as sharp edges as my XP-G2.

Disappointing, I guess I will have to wait for a new HI led to be released and hopefully that will be as amazing as the XP-L HI was when it got released.

I really like you scientist guys! I am also watching other threads like lux measuring etc… And I really don’t understand half of data but I am trying to follow you.

You’ve been very optimistic with 3/4 of intensity it is more like 1/2 intensity of good “old” XP-G2.
Not to mention that “old” XP-G2 has it’s maximum intensity at only 4A which means that it is the most suitable emitter for single cell FET drivers, and if there are people like myself that are in hunt for highest intensity light in a single cell configuration my advice is to save their money for good old XP-G2(if they are lucky to find them) or wait for better emitter cause XP-G3 sucks. I literary threw them in a trash after testing. Even “new” XP-G2 is far better emitter than XP-G3 but I would also toss them all in a trash but instead that I sent them to Djozz :slight_smile:

Yeah a few of us have been down the disappointing road of de-doming the XP-G3……

The whole surface of the pad was covered, I scraped the stuff off up to the die, tight white hot spot, Lux was never there.

Ditto the rest, the XP-G3 is not a thrower LED, XP-L HI puts it to shame.

They are cheap and easy to find though, so they make great options for swapping into cheap lights. The high CRI options are pretty nice if you don’t mind some tint shift in the spill.

[quote=luminarium iaculator]

If you mean the old R5 and S2-binned XP-G2s from 2012-2013 then this statement is not corrent. They get brighter until about 6A, but this requires a real regulating driver (buck or boost).

If you guys want maximum throw, you should use the Osram Black Flat Gen2. It has a higher surface brightness than any XP-G2, even compared to the old ones at 6A. It requires a regulating driver though because of the high Vf (maximum brightness is reached at 4-4.5A). There are also some other problems to overcome. The central soler pad is not electricly neutral, so one needs to isolate it from the flashlight body. Also, there is a larger variance between the LEDs. One needs to buy multiple LEDs and measure until which current they get brighter. Some can’t take 4A+ and are not as bight. But it’s worth it. Currently the highest known sureface brightness (correct term: luminance).

The next best thing are probably the XP-G2 S3 3D LEDs from intl outdoor because they are from early 2015. They probably have the “medium sized” DIE, not the lage DIE like the newer S4s. The will have around 4000K after de-doming, some people don’t like that,

Another option is a de-domed XP-L W2 at 7A+. It will actually get really close to the XP-G2 (90% of luminance of older XP-G2s).

Osram Black Flat Gen2 Too hardcore for me!! :person_facepalming: Maybe if I was in prison and had time to kill! :+1:

Another option is a de-domed XP-L W2 at 7A+. It will actually get really close to the XP-G2 (90% of luminance of older XP-G2s) Yes most know about the W2, but where to purchase legit W2’s from a trusted seller, that don’t cost an arm and a leg in shipping?

For instance…. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-CREE-XPL-1A-1B-1C-1D-W2-520LM-6500K-SMD-LED-beads-Cree-xlamp-White/1930019_32706500295.html?spm=2114.12010108.0.0.lxvTfH

Are they the Real Deal?

I have contacted this seller in the past , but i haven’t received any reply .

Me too, twice! :wink: NO REPLY…… Hmmmm….

He does have some decent prices, love to know if those XHP70’s are really P2 bin 1A and 1B, and the XHP35 E4 1A &1B’s are real too!
Might have to wait and see if Richard can score some I guess!

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1930019?spm=2114.12010108.100004.2.wKu5vX

I got one batch of 10 from AliExpress that’s legit, have more on the way. Will inform…

I got in a few of these W2 1A's from the same store, but this link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-USA-CREE-Xlamp-led-10W-XP-L-W6-1A-1B-6500K-7000K-LED-Emitter/32573267278.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.JxIxPb. You can see my 2 buys in the transaction history. Dunno, only tried 1 so far and in a cloned build, but dedomed it performed slightly better than a dedomed V6 0D. Now I can't say for sure it's a W2 - can't tell by one LED, and they weren't compared in the same host, so variations, measurements, - probably within the margin of error.

Why the guy has two listings, two prices, for the same LED's -- who knows. Id' lean towards the assumption the cheap one is not real while the more expensive one has a better shot. He's got tons of stuff - probably won't answer on specific LED's cause he doesn't know, or can't understand English that well.

he also has false/fake listings of XPL HI at V5 and V6.

Just remember that the real new XP-L W2 has a smaller flat side, closer to being a true dome…

Yeah, I’m running mine at about 6-6.5A…
Do you have more info on this osram LED?
I need to be able to buy it on a copper star, and I need to know what driver to use for it, if you have any leads that would be appreciated.

Also, I was planning on buying some S4 XP G2s, you’re suggesting that the S3s will be better even though they are lower binned? Do you know if the S3 ones from MTN electronics are the old XP G2s?

Check djozz's test on the OSRAM: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/37633

Thanks!
He said it’s worse than an S4 XP-G2 though :confused:

[quote=The_Driver]

Add old S3 and S4 binned here that were build up to 10 month 2015… That are better emitters than old R5 or S2 ones…

Your Osram is also very poor emitter for single cell FET drivers and therefore they have zero value in my use.

Djozz tested them and they are not as good as old G2 emitters.

P.S.
Not that I would not like to have emitter that will kill old S4 2B (2015 edition) in performance. If someone knows bring them on :slight_smile:

[quote=luminarium iaculator]

The problem here is that you are always making general conclusions for everybody even though you use the LEDs in unregulated single-cell lights. I understand where you a coming from, but when you say that an LED is bad, you are only refering to FET-driven single-cell lights. I don’t like this configuration at all and there will be others like me.

Only regulated lights are in any way comparable (and even with these there are multiple variables).

Here is the most important thread regarding luminance in the German TLF forum from member sma, who is an expert on the subject. He has gone to painstaking effort to measure the Luminance of different LEDs as precisely as possible. He also also included many other light sources for reference. I know it is in German, but that shouldn’t really matter too much. To understand the values just look at the measurement units in the column names which are written in [Brackets]. “Strom” is Current, “Leuchtdichte” means luminance and “ohne Dom” / “kein Dom” mean de-domed. The XP-G2 which he used in this table is an old style XP-G2 R5 from 2012. It reached a maximum of 200cd/mm^2.
Later on he measured an XP-G2 S4 (2015) here and it was actaully not that bad (he only measure at 3A, so one needs to extrapolate the value for higher currents, problem is that we don’t how high this XP-G2 would go).

He has also not yet measured the Osram Black Flat himself, but another member of the forum has done this here. It reached 250cd/mm^2.

My secret tip for single cell FET-driven lights would be to try to find a way to successfully de-dome the Osram Square Gen3 or Nichia 219C (of course the 5700K 70CRI version). These LEDs have a very low Vf and are very efficient. I can’t guarantee anything, but it could work.

The Driver,

Yes I am referring to FET single cell configurations only cause I use such configurations exclusively. And I really mentioned that several times in different threads and themes. And yes they really all suck compared to old XP-G2 S4 2B that disappeared from market. I don’t see problem here… It is mine conclusion… imho and ime :slight_smile:

And I know that there are many scientist and experts here. I respect them, and I read their reviews and talk with them over PM… Theory is important but must be applied in practice.
So when I swapp emitters in mentioned light configuration and put’em on light meter I clearly see without any science analysis that certain emitters suck for certain configuration. So even redneck like myself can tell without any science analysis that that is not it anymore…

So when I talk about things that I tried: 219C no matter if you de dome it or not is also not suitable for single cell fet drivers cause It will draw a hell lot of current so it will die in couple of minutes. Now adding qlite driver(2.8A version) and 4 or 5x AMC7135 current regulators could solve that problem but it will still not be able to equal performance of old G2. Why? Because theory is one thing and practice is another… :slight_smile:

That why Djozz is Good in my eyes because he does theory and practice experiments. So look 219C (almost dedomed) in practice with regulated driver here