Defiant XML Spotlight - MT-G2 Mod

Illumination Machines have some big reflectors that are easy to mod for the Bridgelux…

Ah, so that's who makes the 80mm reflectors Cutter has listed. Neat.

+1, and with that reflector the C9000 is a monster. So much fun. :smiley:

Nice pic!

Looks like you could cram 2s2p in there. Taking that thing apart will drive you to buy a hobby charger :slight_smile:

Looking foward to beamshots!

Interesting mod! Beamshots please! :beer:

So you got the emitter soldered? How’s the new seeing eye dog working out? 8)

Impressive mod.
Call me a noob, but I can’t find much on the MT-G2?
http://flashlightwiki.com/Brightness_Bins

http://www.cree.com/led-components-and-modules/products/xlamp/arrays-directional/xlamp-mtg2-easywhite

Some real lousy beam shots taken. See first post. Will have to redo.

Looks decent, nice thrower. I guess it takes a really big reflector to make the MT-G2 a thrower. Still has good spill too.
I would like to figure out how to get one of these in an 8” reflector. I have one somewhere…

WOW

that’s aweome! I can’t believe how far it throws…and the beam is still huge.

you just cost me about $80…host, emitter, driver, heatsink, batteries - but I don’t mind…that’s a deal for a beam like that!

Thank you dtheckt. The pictures don’t do it justice. Before you spend your money, please keep in mind there will be challenges making an external heat sink and making a battery port or charger links. There may be better hosts. I don’t know of any for that price though. I already had mine.

Best of luck on your move.

EDIT: I was tired and still waking up when I wrote the above advice. You have way more experience than me building lights and I should have realized the you would be well aware of the challenges with this kind of mod. Please accept my sincere apology.

really neat mod and great to see the MT-G2 getting some more action. Looks like it’s ideal for large reflector lights like this.

How do you charge the batteries? One way of charging them in series would be to put a balance tap in with a female plug glued into a recess somewhere, then make a male>male extension cable and charge the battery with one of those cheap 2S/3S balance chargers ($10 or so from DX, plus wall wart power supply). That way you can leave it in place and balance charge it for longer life :slight_smile: Any space for a 3S battery? That would give you even longer life (less voltage sag, more overhead), if you can fit it in.

Thanks Mattthemuppet. Right now I’m just testing ideas out. I’m most focused on the heat sinking issue right now. For the battery, your idea seems like the best way to go. There is plenty of room in there. Probably could fit 6 cells if one really wanted to.

you’re welcome! I agree, heatsinking is probably the highest priority. I’d imagine that a piece of 0.5x1.5-2in plate poking out the sides and screwed to the back of the pill should be more than enough as I’m guessing that you’re not going to be using this on high full time.

Oh, and one option for the charger

you can get balance charger extensions by the bag load for not very much, I got a 10 pack of 5S ones from them for rebuilding power tool packs for less than the price of a single one off eBay.

Great ideas and I will definitely check out that charger. I have a couple from my RC airplane days, but I think they are LiPo only.

Right now, I’m fabbing the following. No pill. Emitter directly on 3/8” copper round bar. The bar goes through a 1/2” copper pipe that extends out both sides of the host to heat sinks. Should work pretty good, but your idea is the backup plan.

copper pipe would definitely look cool - very steam punk techno. Besides copper always looks good :slight_smile:

I imagine it could. If done be someone with the right skills. The copper will not be visible unless one opens up the light. It is just to conduct the heat to external aluminum heat sinks that will be on the sides of the light. Haven’t found any yet. Probably just use cpu heat sinks, but may make something that wraps around the light.

It ain’t pretty, but it’s just proof of concept. It throws some serious light though. Can light up a big area far away. Going to try to borrow a camera and take some proper beam shots soon. The second iteration on this light is still in progress and is documented at:

Thank you comfy. Looks like a good company.