Defiant XML Spotlight - MT-G2 Mod

man, I have a bunch of scavenged CPU heatsinks of all shapes and sizes that you can have - should be able to fit a bunch of them in a box for not much in postage.

There are some benefits to being a compulsive scavenger, although an excess of spare space isn’t one of them :slight_smile:

I do the recycling thing too (obviously, lol) but sometimes you need something outside the dimensions of what can fit in a typical CPU footprint. Being able to pick the fin height & pitch is a bonus.

true, although I have enough heatsinks that I can choose fin pitch and height pretty easily :slight_smile: The ones from old Mac desktops were huge (two hands next to each other), so plenty of meat in them.

Heh, I've even taken old socket A heatsinks and broken off all the fins, machined the nubs flat, and then cut the base to shape where a normal person would just buy some appropriate thickness AL plate. :p

no sure I’d go that far, but I’ve been riding round with some chunks of PII (slot 1?) heatsink on my handlebars for a while now :slight_smile: See post 38. I can’t remember where I got the heatsinks from on the bottom though…

Man mattthemuppet, that is some awesome stuff. Talk about serious heat sinking. You could pump some serious watts through that set up. Especially in moving air. Very cool.

thanks, I’m pretty handy with a dremel now :slight_smile: It copes with 2x XM-L @3A just fine unless it’s hot and I’m climbing, then the driver steps it down to ~ 1/4 of the current until it cools down. Helps me avoid the rocks pretty good too!

With the 3T6 driver, where were you measuring the current draw? At the led or the batteries?

At the LED, with a stock DMM. The DMM has fairly thick leads and can measure up to 20amps. It seems to measure accurately. The current measures close to the rated current on 7135 drivers.

I wish we knew a way to program the MCU on that driver. The memory make is more tolerable.