DEFT-X ... Wow!

Well not quite two POB. I measured my POB at 530Kcd so two of those would be over a million. Still one on one it is remarkable to see side by side. I think I might need to make a video showing it as it is quite astounding to see.

Interesting part is the Wavien LEDs - will this start some new dome altering experiments?

Will this new light out throw a POB. I would just like to hear your thoughts. I have one and another one coming today. If you have 900,000k, but the POB has 530,000k and about a 5.75” reflector which one would win the throw contest?

Thanks Michael.

Brad

Um…yeah. It humiliates the POB to be honest. Much better throw and way better color rendering. I think the later can be helped by changing out the POB’s bulb to a diff K value but it still won’t change the fact it is getting trounced in the throw department. Here is a picture I just took to show the size difference.

so is this RLT technology basically like a reflector installed backwards in a sense? could be way off, but thats the only way i can figure…

That’s got to be one awesome light Michael. I know how bad a POB is. Heck even a 85watt HID flashlight I have is one awesome thrower at 185KCd. Thanks for the reply. The new one I have coming today has a said to be by the owner a 4200K bulb in it. I’m guessing it’s probably a 4300K instead. I paid $40 shipped for it.

this would be a awesome light to take to glacier point, and then point it at Yosemite valley below, I have been dreaming of a light that can do that. Would i get in trouble? maybe :bigsmile:

Correcting myself... it seems like it's a lens?

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/08/5099409/waviens-rlt-technology-licensed.html

The beam profile looks kind of like the M3LT.

The beam appears even more focused that with a large aspheric lens.

Wish I could afford one of these beasts, it's a shame I can't rent one for a test drive :p

i kind of skimmed through that same article before posting. i didnt really see any talk about what it is exactly, but only what the effects of it is

It is a hemispherical reflector with the top lopped off to allow light to escape. The DEFT-X itself is an aspheric light just like all the DEFTs that came before it.

i was reading” this”:Flashlight Optics - Dome, Dedoming and Throw the other day and i was actually wondering if something like this would work or just hurt the performance.

well done sir

I just have to say… WOW.
To think that this is done by a ordinary man and not a big name company.

I salute you, sir.

So in simplified terms, you could say the idea (obv. not the execution) behind the RLT collar lies somewhere between turbochargers, blowers, and afterburners in the sense that the RLT process redirects light emitted at wide-angles back to the emitter in order to boost flux out the front?

likeaboss, amen to that. Saabluster’s work is real innovation. I’m extremely impressed that he’s accomplishing things in areas typical companies have failed to innovate.

Saab claims the beam has a 1.4 degree divergence.

1.4 degrees.

That’s almost a laser.

Seriously.

In fact, the Spyder 3 Krypton laser has a divergence of 1.5mRad, or 0.86 degrees. Two thirds as much as the DEFT-X. Just a little narrower and it would have the same throw properties as a laser. Even the RLT tech is similar to how a laser works… bounce the light around until it collimates enough.

However, the Krypton is rated at 41km of throw, while the DEFT-X is “only” ~2km. Probably because the Krypton starts out with a 2mm beam and the DEFT-X (presumably) has a minimum beam width of a few cm.

So, it basically is a laser, only wider.

If anyone gets one of these, please be careful… not only could you make people permanently blind by shining it at them, but even just looking at the hotspot could hurt the eyes. At 1m, its hotspot is nine times as intense as direct noon sunlight. Ouch.

Wow! Unbelievable results! Saabluster my most sincere congratulations for achieving such results!

I really really would like to save enough money to own one. I'll try... only future will tell.

Cheers!

I think this is a reasonable explanation.

But, I think even a flashaholic understands that $600.00 for an LED light is a wee bit expensive. I’m not suggesting for a moment that it’s not worth the price, however. If it can live up to the specs it certainly is worth it.

It’s just that it takes a certain leap of faith to put out that much money on a light that is untested. Like you, most of us are not able to spend that kind of money lightly, let alone on a flashlight which is really an unnecessary luxury for most of us.

Another custom light maker has had a few of his lights tested and they have not lived up to his claimed specs, so I think it’s fair for someone to be somewhat skeptical.

Having said that, I tend to rely more on the consensus of opinion among forum members than I do on independent reviews. If it’s glowing, I may even invest in one myself!

I wish you much success with your new light.

Given what I’ve read on BLF and CPF over the past year, and his status as the world record holder for five years, I’m inclined to believe Saabluster’s claims.

However, although I was very tempted, I’m not planning to buy the DEFT-X. While reading through discussion about it and pondering a purchase, a red flag went up in my head… Danger, Will Robinson! I realized that its beam is so intense that I’d probably end up hurting someone with it, or hurting myself, completely by accident. I don’t want that.

I think it’s just too much flashlight for me to handle.

That’s easy! Buy one and ship it to me. I’ll handle it for you. :wink:

Love it!

I want one :slight_smile: Amazing light.