DEFT-X ... Wow!

Legally no, you can't. Really though, there are a number of companies who would be happy to send a laser over to you, and chances are you will have it in 2-3 weeks.

Lasers really have no part and little comparison to an LED flashlight. Your Avg DIY laser diode by design has diversion properties and characteristics LED's are simply incapable of reproducing. Its Apples and Cyanide in comparison.

IE - Catch and Release - Play and Dont have to pay...

Yup, there is no comparing lasers to flashlights, but come on cyanide? We'd both be blind by now if that were true.

Not sure what you mean :p

Check your inbox.

finally got to see the posted pics from the cpf link (probably too late).... is it me or does this light look like it was built using TN30/Supbeam/L3 K40 parts as a host? The head and magnetic switch ring and tailcap/switch looks like it came right off the TN30/K40 (the bod probably is too just de-annodized). But all i can say is WOW!! Time to save up.

He said it was a K40 host…

I think I was blinded by the X-citement and had to wait till my eyes could see....Thanks for the enlightenment texaspyro...

Cyanide can be synthesized from the Apple seed.

Catch and release - The act of buying and selling for the purpose of satisfying your addiction. In the case lumen's, output, or mW. A futile attempt to keep a few bucks in the bank account for the next "i gotta have it" item..

Hmm, I was always under the impression peach pitts would be easier

I do catch & release with lasers... so far not with lights... I'm only biting on those I like a lot.

You guys are funny. It is no laser. Not even close. I intentionally set up the beam shining down my alleyway and walked a hundred or so feet away and then looked back into the beam. Holding my gaze in the beam I started walking towards the light to get an idea of the intensity when used “on” someone. It was all I could do to keep my eyes open and they teared up severely but no apparent damage was incurred. This is not like sunlight which has UV and Infrared that will cause damage. Of course sheer output at even normal visible wavelengths can damage but I do not think the DEFT-X is quite there yet. I’ll see if I can get there on the next generation though OK?

Please for the love of EYES never do this with a laser...

I don't think there are LED's out there yet, that would cause permanent damage, unless you are looking directly at them, from under a foot distance, and suppressing your blink reflex.

The tearing up you experienced has nothing to do with light itself, keeping your eyes open in general, for a while without blinking, will also produce tearing.

Even with lasers, which are significantly more dangerous, there have only been a couple a few incidents where permanent, significant, damage was done.

I'm curious... need to read more about LED's in general, but what is the range, in the visible spectrum that these LED's do emit?

Certainly a light of light bulbs, do emit at below 400nm.

I am very familiar with high powered lasers as I have been working with them to develop a lighting system for future products. I have very good glasses to protect me as well. The lack of serious injuries thus far I suppose has more to do with the respect these lasers are getting from their owners rather than any lack of danger posed by them. :wink:

[quote=infinitusequitas]

Nice Avatar...

Is it entirely Photoshoped? Or just a snip-it from StarWars..

I feel that its a laser with a wider beam then any normal laser product. so purchasing a $600 laser ? :wink:
((the green lasers shoot up to 7 miles at night)).
thats the reason they used the smaller xpg and not the larger xml??? just my thoughts

[quote=infinitusequitas]
I don’t think there are LED’s out there yet, that would cause permanent damage, unless you are looking directly at them, from under a foot distance, and suppressing your blink reflex./quote]

Wanna try that with one of these? 15,000 Lumen Bridgelux C9000 Light Engine

[quote=texaspyro]

Wouldn’t be nearly as intense in the eye as the DEFT-X. Of course we can actually compare at the next DFW GTG. :slight_smile:

@texaspyro - Now that's not exactly a flashlight LED is it? I would still contend it's harmless compared to taking a 1W hit to the eye from a laser.

@DarkSide, nope no photoshop... just lots and lots of light.

It is now… :wink:

This is seriously impressive. Would love to have one for fun, but no way I can afford it, oh well, lol.

Still nowhere near the same as dealing with a laser.

Can't wait to see the handheld flashlight with that LED :D

if it has been mentioned before, excuse my ignorance... but to me, Dr. Kenneth Li must have been inspired somewhat by Tony Stark's Arc Reactor (the big one that was used to power the city in Ironman film). I mean look at the halo-esque toroidal shape of the RLT optic. I don't have a use for the DEFT-X however the technology and design appeals to me enough to want to save for it. If anything, if I do get it, I can lend it to my father for when he goes hunting. For the time being, I'll save up for the TN31mb (i do like a little spill) and sell by stock TN31 (NW). I think this light forum/hobby is meant to have us live on a budget on everything else whilst splurging on lights and batteries. Hope to see more owner beamshots/comparisons in the coming months.