Difference between Opus BT-C3400 & BT-C3100 v2.1?

Here is my review for the Defective/dangerous JCY-1250 pictured above.

One note. The picture of the SMPS in the ebay ad looks exactly like mine but w/ a different model number. The ad has the model LY1205 and they sent me model JCY-1250! Regardless of that I posted my review because they sent it to me!

TITLE: STAY AWAY FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!

First I will say that the dealer refunded me immediately. Other than that I am not sure how they could sell something that is potentially dangerous as this SMPS.

The item is either defective, is NOT up to specs. or both. Mine got very hot and I knew right away I would be returning it and asking for a refund.

The average Joe does not know any better. I am fortunate to have been on CPF and BLF for Four years where I have learned a lot.

The model in your ad[LY1205] is Different than the model you sent me which was-[JCY-1250]. I would NOT trust the model LY1205 as it looks exactly like the one you sent me and probably has the same parts.

There is a guy on amazon who bought the model I have[JCY-1250] and he mentions it started to smoke when he plugged it in. The guy has a half a brain as he asked to send him another one! A lot of them have the inside made up of used parts and the outside shell is new.

These types of cheap SMPS are potentially dangerous because you never know what your going to get!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT AND GET A TOP TIER SMPS LIKE I EVENTUALLY DID.

A Lite-on 12V/5.5A/66W SMPS. LITEON is a top-tier power supply manufacturer employed by many top-tier PC manufacturers, e.g. if you search on “LITEON oem” on eBay you will see power supplies they made for Acer, Apple, Cisco, Dell, Gateway, HP, IBM, Kodak, Lenovo, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, etc.

It only cost $10.50,for $3 or $4 more you get quality and peace of mind!

Sincerely,

Settimio Camilli

P.S. I COULD NOT SUBMIT IT BY GIVING IT “0” STARS!! I HAD TO GIVE IT 1 STAR IN ORDER FOR IT TO PROCESS!

Hi guys

Here’s what I found from googling:

“ Update
April 14 2016. Now shipping V3.1.
As of today April 18 2015 I expect to start shipping in June.

Changes are:
Discharge-Refresh function will store discharged capacity after each discharge cycle.
Discharge function will store discharged capacity after completion of the discharge cycle.
ADC hardware changes for increased accuracy of measurements.
Improved fan.
Display backlight toggle. Backlight can be set to on or auto-off with the display button.
Those are the significant changes.”

:beer:

Sounds very similar to the changes that came with v.2.2 of the BT-C3100…

Where did you find this? . Can you post a link?

Well they need to change something my opus really under charges. I don’t mind so much its easier on the batteries. But for test most of the time I have to use my xstar vc2 one slot does 4.21 other 4.19 the opus only does 4.13 on all 4 bays according to my DMM. My liito li 202 does 4.21 and 4.16 on its two slots. I still use it constantly daily. But its about 100-150 mah difference on test in real life no noticable difference. And will increase cycle life some. But would be nice if it went a little bit higher.

You can make it charge to 4.2 if you desoldering the J1 bridge on the circuit board ,
Mine was charging to 4.16v (opus was reading 4.2v ) after I desolderd J1 it now charges to 4.21 & reads 4.2v.

“ Update

April 14 2016. Now shipping V3.1.
As of today April 18 2015 I expect to start shipping in June.

Today is May 7,2017! That info. is NOT new!

I exchanged several emails w/ “rdana”. The latest email[2 weeks ago] he was still waiting to hear from Opus regarding the sometimes failing SMPS. For those unfamiliar go back in this thread and you will find plenty of discussion about it.

My first Opus read 4.20V but in reality only charged to 4.14/4.15V when measured by my DMM. Its capacity testing was also more inaccurate than my new one.My new one reads 4.21V and DMM reads 4.18V,good enough for me!No doubt there is variance between these chargers, just in mine and certainly with what others have said.

I prefer my 3100/2.2. From what I heard it will be more accurate than the V3.1

This is an example of how fortunate[lucky] I am w/ my new Opus and its capacity results. My other tests have all been w/in 3% of HKJ’s numbers.

30Q FT Discharged @1A-They were BRAND NEW when this test was done.

HKJ Discharged @ 1A also=2884mAh.

My Four[4] slot Median is 2881mAh! :+1: Can not get much closer than that!

Yep… just over a year old info. I was just wondering wher he “found” it.

And from what the guy told you …. didn’t he say the discharge mode on the 3400 v3.1 was gonna quit at 3.1V ??

As HKJ & others have said…. this will not give correct capacities. :person_facepalming:

Oh well……. Maybe they will at least include a proper power supply with it. :wink:

I recall reading on some ham radio page — can Gauss comment? — that when switching power supplies fail, it’s ungracefully — they tend to send the full input voltage through the output and fry things, or something. The comparison was recommending finding the older solid state hardware (that is copper wire around iron core, transformers) which is less efficient but less able to fail in a nasty way. Also less electronically noisy, which matters for ham radio users.

I have seen many SMPS fail and they do usual not send out high voltage.
Typically one or more of these problems show up:
Lot of noise on the mains side.
Unstable output voltage (Not high voltage)
No output voltage.
SMPS gets warm, this starts long before it breaks down.
SMPS exploded (Very seldom and it is usual contained inside the supply).

Yes,V3.1 = Discharge starts @ 3.1v instead of 2.8v.

I never realized or thought how expensive this[2.2v] could become!

- 3 X Spare fans-$5

–1 X Lite-on SMPS-$10

–1 X Supernight SMPS-$7

–4 X connector adapters=$5

$27!,$11 more and I get another[$38] Opus from Liiionwholesale!

Make that $20! Jon reimbursed me for the S’Night. :wink:

I did choose to get extra SMPS,extra fans and 3 extra adapters!

That’s not bad—Part of the game we’re playing here—chargers/cells/lights/etc—There’s always something to buy—LOL
I only use my Opus’ about 25% of the time—I have several Xtars among others I alternate

yaa!! It is the only charger I have/had where I have to put money into it to keep it going!

My Fenix ARE-C2[3], Efest LUC V4 and K’Power L2 Work fine w/out any maintenance!!

I use ALL the chargers above equally w/ the exception of the Efest,Mr. efest is in storage and does not make the Top 4 on my Flashlight Laboratory Desk top!

2 X Fenix ARE-C2/1 X KP L2, 1X Opus 3100 2.2!

On the other hand the Opus has more features and I like it! :wink:

Here is part of my “Exciting” Flashlight Laboratory!

The Charging Station section. Included is the “Slab of Steel” which is my own invention and used for the Fenix-ARE-C2 as a Heat sink. Also the famed Lite-on 12V/5.5A/66W SMPS! :+1:

I started propping the back end of my Opus up some—like on a battery case —I feel it lets the air flow freely—maybe the fan will last longer

Ain’t that the truth!!
My willpower sux right now too……… :person_facepalming:
:slight_smile:

I did the same thing when I got mine… it just looked like it “needed” it. :wink:

I thought of that after my promising and patented successful “Slab of Steel” invention!

So,Chops,you reignited my fires. I tried a battery case first,did not like it as it was a bit slippery and not stable enough. Whatever you use, if you put the Opus feet in front of it, you get the teeter totter effect!

In any event. I improvised and found something that works very well. It actually has a little shelf on it and the feet of the Opus grab onto it a bit.

The “Orbtronic Family” enjoy their 451st “cycle” with an elevated and happier Mt. Opus!!!

Ahhh Sundays too much time on our hands ——- Looks good to me

I like it too…. :+1:
:wink:

Thank you gentlemen!

I wanted to find a smaller slab of steel. I couldn’t! I am satisfied for now!

Unless you own a Fenix ARE-C2 you would not know how hot it gets. iirc it had an external temp.[before using slab of steel] of 132F!

This opus never appears hot because it is not hot,anywhere. I guess that is why I held off of doing this.

With that said,any added circulation can not hurt!