Different Answers,Opinions - What is the Truth based on Scientific Data?

The best laid plans…

Apple designed that feature to be so smart, and unobtrusive to users that for some users, it entirely fails to work. Don’t conform to a regular schedule, or follow a predictable pattern? It’s not smart enough to compensate, won’t engage, and the result is a 100% charge anyway. Opaque, overwrought, and too clever for its own good.

The Battery Health metric is similar. It’s not a simple reporting of the design capacity vs. current estimated full charge capacity, which can be read by some apps; the algorithm includes other factors, but they’re not publicly known. In practical terms, it also fluctuates, as a result of software updates, with new versions sometimes reporting somewhat disparate figures.

And for a company that usually aims to insulate users from technical details that many won’t understand, or misinterpret, presenting that metric as a numerical percentage figure was a big UI failing. That decision has lead to a contingent of OCD users obsessing over ever change, minute or not, in the figure, like the gospel, without comprehending that it is, at best, an estimation, not the result of any sort of repeatable empirical testing one would undertake to gauge the health of a battery.

Something to keep in mind.

As a practical matter, most users aren’t going to worry about squeezing every last drop out of the battery by babying it as a best practice, or compromising the utility of their phones. When they do eventually wear out, the phone is replaced with a new model, or $69 for an Apple battery replacement, with that work covered for 90 days. If something goes wrong, they’ll probably replace the phone with a service unit, which will likely be in better condition than the one being serviced.

good one!!!

Overthinking it

Apple says that it needs to be a common schedule from the same locations. So I interpret that to mean it is basically looking at people that plug it in before they go to sleep and unplug it when they get up. That is a lot of people. The point is that Apple understands that sitting at 100% all night long is not a good thing. I don’t have an apple and never will. Like I said my phone lets me go to roughly 85% every time with one simple setting. And that might vary by 0.03 volts. I believe there are apps that can do that also on Android but probably not on the big apple. I definitely cannot tell when I have 5 gallons of gas left in my vehicle versus 4. That’s not apples fault.

That is a good feature.Could not find it on my phone.Googled to no avail.Maybe call T mobile when I have time…that can be an adventure like any big company contracting work in several foreign countries…bad connection,call center noise and bad pronunciation of the English language. :person_facepalming:

Many people find their phone battery is toast after a year or two.

It’s really that cheap? For a $600 iPhone I could see doing it. For an older iPod Touch 5th gen that’s worth about $65, I’d probably pass it onto someone who can do it themselves.

AFAIK, the 80/30 practice makes solid sense for prolonging battery life. From my personal experience I just don’t care. Only phone I had with a battery that got in my way was an iPhone 7. (Memory going a bit think I did replace a battery in a phone a quite awhile back.) My current strategy is to get a cheap straight Android phone and use it until the technology is obsolete or something quits working.

Even with the iPhone I could live with the crappy battery as I have a lipstick charger that could get me through the day. It was the unintelligible voice call quality that got me to ditch it. Have had my current Nokia for about a year and a half now and I can’t tell any difference in battery life since it was new. Almost never need to charge it during the day unless I forget to put it on the charger at night. My practice is to just plug it in when I go to bed and take it off when I get up. When I forget to do that I might put in on my USB hub on my desk for a while when I am working and that will get me through the day just fine.

Certainly putting your phone on the charger all night every night is not best practice for battery performance. It is my practice as I just want a phone that works when and where I want it to work and that is the easiest way to ensure my phone is always available to me. I expect 3 - 4 years of life out of a phone and my experience (except for the iPhone) is that the phones made in about the past 10 years will perform just fine when charged this way. If my phone cost as much as a Tesla and I expected it to last as long as I expect a car to last you can be sure that I would be doing something like an 80/30 rule.

The intention is good, and the reasoning sound. However, the feature implementation and execution stinks, and for some users, fails to work, even if they do follow a routine.

What it tries to do it work quietly in the background, learning the user’s schedule, and pausing at 80% before doing a top-off to 100% based on when it thinks the user will start their day. In theory, anyway.

But, when it fails to discern a pattern, it doesn’t function at all. And it fails to account for those who may wish to follow best practice, but don’t have consistent usage patterns. There is no simple setting for those users.

Too clever for its own, or the user’s, good.

Out of warranty iPhone battery repairs are $69 for newer models within the last three years, or $49 for older models.

For that, you get a genuine OE battery, replaced by a tech working in an authorized shop, with the work guaranteed for 90 days. If something goes wrong, which is not out of the question with modern devices designed with limited serviceability in mind, they’ll either fix it, or replace it with a refurbished “white box” service unit, which will have a new case, new battery; basically a factory remanufactued phone. The guy at the mall kiosk might be cheaper, but he’s not going to be able to provide the same service, and who knows what kind of battery he will install.

I like this answer. The iPhone6 I use is still doing fine with its original battery. It goes a day and half, sometimes two and then charge it to 100%. I keep it because it has a jack for wired earbuds which I prefer. No need to charge both the phone and earbuds, and I’ve never lost any wired buds. Yeah, low tech, and the phone has a little flashlight on the back (trying to stay relevant to the forum).

I have enjoyed reading all the posts. One thing is obvious to me. I use my phone waaay more than most if not all of you( see my post #20).

My phone is only 4 days old.I charge it at least 2X day…today 3X!!

I am working part time at most,no laptop,no desktop or tablet…lol!

You guys who charge it every 1.5 to 2 days can not be using it that much!

What phone do you have and what do you use it for?

Samsung S20 FE 5G.

I use it for everything! Hence the list of other electronic devices I do not have.

I’ve seen in some high-end laptops that the BIOS and/or userspace software has an option to limit the battery’s max charge level so it’s not constantly sitting at 100. But with that said, my daily-driver 8 year old Thinkpad has spent probably more than 99 of its life plugged in, and its battery is still reporting 100% capacity.

Yep, I’ve had a Xiaomi Redmi 6a for 3 or 4 years, and it easily does a full week on a charge still, and I almost never charge it until the notification LED starts flashing a low battery warning. (Of course I almost never use it, because I personally hate poking at a phone when I could be using a mouse and keyboard on a “real” computer.) It’s a crazy efficient SoC and apparently the MIUI flavor of Android is extremely well optimized for deep sleep and minimizing wakelocks and things like that, which in the grand scheme of things makes a much bigger difference than just battery capacity and its chemistry.

Takes great beam shots.

TN42 CFT90

WT90 SBT90.2

More WT90

Zoomed screen shot.

According to GSMarena:

So 3 charges a day makes no sense unless you are doing something very unusual with it

When a battery loses capacity it still charges to 100% at 4.2V but the available mAh has fallen.
I used to use BatteryBar to test my laptop, not sure if hats still around, though you have to drain the battery by using the laptop to get accurate capacity remaining nubmers

[quote=Bort]

I’m up at 5:30 go to bed around 11. Probably use the phone 5 hours a day. So I guess that is unusual.

Right now it is at 52%.It will last until.mid morning tomorrow .

BTW I am using the 80%/30% Charge , discharge method.That is part of the reason why I’m charging it more. I don’t let it drain to 20 or 10% and charge it to 100% every time. Or any time for that matter.

Gute Nacht.

See anything interesting here? (This conversation motivated me to unplug it for a change, so it's currently discharging.)

upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
native-path: BAT0
vendor: LGC
model: 45N1005
serial: 1430
power supply: yes
has history: yes
has statistics: yes
battery
present: yes
rechargeable: yes
state: discharging