Different Answers,Opinions - What is the Truth based on Scientific Data?

[quote=Cochise334ever]

At 5 hours a day of usage and 50% juice between charges you should not have to cahrge more than once per day. At over 15 hours at 75% brightness per charge you should get over 7 hours on half the battery. So one charge a day should be fine and you should not even be down to 30% by then.

You could install Accubattey, it would tell you screen on time, power used (screen on) and which apps used it per hour and how much mAh total. Would be interesting to see.

[quote=Bort]

I don’t know what else to say to you. Hey I watch Netflix probably an hour day too maybe I’m using the phone six or seven hours a day I don’t know but that’s just the way that it is

So you are currently at 87% power, it thinks you have 47.52Wh left. Lithium batteries can seem ok but drop suddenly even when not full. I had a hand me down laptop that claimed to have 30% battery remaining, died 5 minutes later, I had to run a full cycle to calibrate it and it was not good.
The voltage=charge % measurements can be off when there are no cycles to calibrate from, the soluton being to run the battery to a low percent, or in some cases to drain it completely for calibration. Most modern cell phones are good in that if you drain down to 20% most can recalibrate off that. Many can go years with no need for full calibration at all.

11.434V at 87% suggests a 3S setup, 54.09Wh at 11.1V nominal is 4873mAh which is not a common size, if they are 2500mAh batteries then you have a 3S2P or 6 x 18650 battery setup.

[quote=Cochise334ever]

Thats what i mean Accubattery would measure and tell you where your power is going and how much screentime you are using per day.
Perhaps you are using it much more than 5 hours, maybe you have the brightness on maximum, maybe there is something running in the background like malware, maybe the cell tower is very far away and the phone is dumping loads of juice to give you service? The cell tower power and the brightness would be hard to measure with accubattery but it can be done if you approach it cleverly.
Maybe you have a defective battery?

If you just unplugged it and its down to 87% then you used an hour of power in a few minutes.
Or the computer took into account capacity loss already and you started with capacity loss?

I believe SB has spoken about this and its settled on his end.

There is also useable capacity. Not sure how that fits in but the device and whatever manages the power certainly can account for huge differences. A couple of examples with different chemistries:

Have an old MBP dual boot. Booted in MacOS it will run it down to 0% there abouts in the OS and also on the LEDs on the side. Booted in mint it will die and leave 30% thereabouts in the battery. Have yet to try to optimize power mgmt as SB has suggested. Recent Mint upgrade comes close to parity with the MacOS save the 30% it still leaves unused but run time much better with one of the version 20 updates.

Have some black Amazon Basics made in Japan that have high IR. Noticeably dimmer on high (may not hold turbo, haven’t used them in a flashlight for years) However, they still hold over 2000 mAh and will deliver that energy — just not at high current flow. Run time and meter indicated ballpark observation style (time and est cur draw) not a graphed recording.

On a completely unrelated note;-) Sometimes it just gets down to the luck of the draw. Still have a couple of the first cells I got off this site. They are made in China Tenergys the BLFr got due to a warehouse fire. Have kept them fully charged for years and were used years ago. Still have low IR and still give about 1800 to 2000 mAh. (Tested them a few months ago.) IIRC, that was all I ever got from them. Maybe 2200 2400 max. I know I never got the 2600 on the label. Way better than any other cell I got around that time. Nearly all junk. Most disposed of except for a couple of ultrafires that have low IR and work OK but only have something ridiculous like 500 mAh on a so called 3000 mAh battery.

I don’t have that many cells and I know I should store them discharged. With my limited cells I would just rather have them full. If degraded not expensive to replace.

lol, this post reminds me of back when I had an iPhone 5 and before I knew how to take of the battery. Back then I would discharge the phone till I saw the red bar. Then I would charge it all the way to 100%! I was doing this for almost 2 years straight. :smiley:
Then one day it wouldn’t hold a charge anymore, ordered the battery from CN, installed it and it worked for a few days and then kaput! :money_mouth_face:

[quote=Bort]

Maybe this has something to do with it?

I do Not have WiFi.T-Mobile gives me 50 GB a month and then it slows down a bit after that.

I have never surpassed 40GB/ month.

My novice guess is that has nothing to do with it.

Finally,I do not know how you could possibly calculate how much battery I am using.You are not by.my side.

I watch Netflix,Forensic Files about 2 episodes a day, maybe a movie a few times a week,Youtube videos…these DRAIN the battery a hell of a lot more than texts and emails.

In 12 minutes of checking weather,emails and posting this, the battery went from 46% to 40%.

This is a replacement/ refurbished phone.Maybe a weaker battery? Then again, my.original , Brand new, purchased on 11/22/20, seemed to drain the same way.

Clearly some people use their phone a lot more than others. A few years back I would sometimes wonder at the end of some days why the battery was so low. With the Gsam monitor I can go back and look at cell tower signal strength for the past week or more. Some days I’m in basements with very little or no cell tower signal. That drains the battery fast. So if you always have a good cell tower signal or you’re always on a good Wi-Fi signal or you only use it for calling and a few texts and few emails and check the weather once a day, yeah you can get three or four years out of a battery. But if none of those apply and you have got a screen on time of three plus hours a day then you’re not going to get 3 years out of it. Kyocera only makes a new phone about every 2 years so I want to get through a full 2 years without battery issues so that means I take a few extra precautions. It’s just like flashlights, some people are content to carry a double A or less EDC. That doesn’t work for everybody.

What is that based on? Anecdotal observation of acquaintances, friends, co-workers, etc.? I’ve not had a cell phone battery go bad on me within 2 years, except way back with the old LCD candybar style phones when opting for a 3rd party battery over OEM…

FWIW, a battery saving tip—with apps you have installed that you don’t use often but don’t want to uninstall, just go into App Management and disable. You can also flush the data cache as well. This will keep it from operating in the background and sucking up resources. Then when you want to use the app, go back to the management screen and enable. Works fine. (The only exception I had was with Uber. That friggin’ app couldn’t handle being disabled and then enabled weeks later for some reason, and would end up corrupted. At one point reinstalling wouldn’t even fix it. I ditched it. Never use Uber anymore. Lyft is better and their app works great.)

That’s interesting. What is your make/model phone?

Cellular phones are designed with a primary function for using a cellular network and WILL actively look for one as programming makes this the priority. When you know you’re going to have spotty or zero cellular network connectivity, it’s always a good idea to put the phone in airplane mode. Some phones now let you set that up on a timer. But, if you do put your phone in battery saver mode, it will not check for the network as aggressively.

Tips from a battery researcher at Argonne National Laboratory

That’s pretty impressive. Last I’d heard, it was something like $150 to get an iPhone battery replaced by Apple. Frankly, if they can do it cleanly without damaging the bezel/casing for $50~$70, I’d say this is a terrific peace of mind. Use your phone the way you want. Don’t care about eeking out every last drop of mAh health. When the battery performance is below usable expectations, just get a new one installed. However, being on iOS is a different story. Frankly, I don’t like the limitations on UI customization. And their length of support is lacking compared to Android. PLUS, Apple engineers their devices to become obsolete by freezing iOS version upgrades.

I’m pretty sure my Google Pixel 5 will cost more for a battery replacement, but I’m hoping with the battery management software on board AND my conservative phone use that it’ll be fine for a solid 4 years.

If I remember right from Battery University, lithium batteries are more sensitive to age than charge cycles. So once you “initiate” the battery with its first charge from new, the clock starts. Now that clock time can vary. Some things will shorten it, like a deep discharge or lengthy exposure to high heat. But I expect that certain charging/discharging behaviors can lengthen that clock. I do have a few old Motorola flip phones that were languishing in a junk drawer. Some people still buy these things, probably to use as burner phones or for movie props. Anyway, I recharged them, left on with cellular network connectivity enabled… and what do you know, some of them actually still held their charge after a week of standby. Some batteries (same brand) didn’t make it past one day. So there is some randomness to how battery chemistry may hold up over time.

- T mobile had me wipe clear the cache Partition and other system imorovements.

If it’s still acts the same by tomorrow morning I will get a new battery or another out-of-the-box refurbished phone!I will take a NEW battery hoping that is what they will give me. I have a feeling her steps will not make a difference. I hope I’m wrong.

I totally agree with not charging it to 100% as much as my memory and efficiency allows.

I agree with the 80% 30% or 80% 20%.

This was a refurbished returned phone. According to T-Mobile people have 14 days to bring the phone back. Who knows if the battery was weakened/ defective to begin with or totally neglected for 2 weeks?. I believe it’s the battery.

I’m not going through all those steps with monitors and all that stuff. Never had any issues with any of my other phones. I think it’s kind of simple it’s the battery or possibly I’m wrong and the steps she did will correct it.

I don’t think so. It used 5% of the battery life to watch a 21-minute version of Forensic Files. You cannot tell me that is normal.An estimate would be 30% capacity loss for watching a 2 hour movie.On my previous phones I watched 2 hour movies and only using 16/17% of my battery life.

I prefer the phones from 2 years ago and further back. You could take them apart take the battery out test the voltage test the resistance and everything else. But these they’re glued and I’m not about to do a tear down. Say goodbye to the warranty if you do that.

[quote=Cochise334ever]

You are correct, which is why i recommended Accubattery.
And someone also mentioned GSAM, i have no experience with it but if the capacity testing, per app usage and screen on time doesn’t solve it then its another avenue to explore.
There are also apps that run in the background or when the screen is off, those can be hard to map.
So its like being a detective, start with the simple and obvious and work to complicated if you don’t get a satisfactory answer.

All assuming you care enough to figure this out, if what you are doing works great and the need to charge several times a day is no problem then thats great as well.

Another advantage of Accubattery is that it has links to scientific data showing that full charge and storing it at that is not ideal for lithium batteries. Even apple designs around this, not charging to full until morning. Their solutions are pretty clever actually, though as mentioned if you don’t have an exact nighttime routine they have not adjusted the software to handle that yet.

You can also Google more information about best practices for lithium ion batteries including whether you should fully charge them or not.

I work in the business, though i prefer not to give details for anonymity reasons.

Install Accubattery, its free and will do a capacity test on the battery. But you need to give it a few days of use and a few recharges for accuracy.

Done.I like numbers and stats.

I was the Times table champ in 3rd grade! 25 students.3rd one was my first opponent…systematically went through the other 21.

General Math,Algebra and Statistics…got “A’s”.

Understanding Electronics on torches…C minus.