Different Answers,Opinions - What is the Truth based on Scientific Data?

:slight_smile:
I am very much a numbers person, i got the paid version which does a bit more but the free iirc does all the basics you need.
Since i have figured all out for my phone i mostly use the capacity and screen on time but i spent a lot of time figuring everything out when i first started using it.

Interestingly enough this phone uses about the same amount of power as the old phone, the processor is much more efficient but it turns out hats not the biggest power user in my use case. Its the screen and amount of processing needed, not the power used per processing task.
So graphics uses a fair bit, processor heavy games use a lot but for browsing and photos and other low intensity use having a more efficient chip does not save much.

On the old phone leaving wifi on overnight doubled the idle usage, my Samsung tablet and the new phone have much smaller hits so i just leave it on 24/7.

You know you win more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
But to answer your question the answer is 96%.

And i am going to quote those who i reply to when appropriate. The forum already truncates too many nested quotes.
Finally dude just installed Accubattery a few minutes ago, he does not have data yet. It needs a sample size of several charges/charges to give you accuracy.

I just downloaded it.

How many years of denying 100%?
Only used it a short time that way.

But I AM NOT DENYING ANYTHING! You are infatuated with your 100%.

Learn to ACCEPT that others have different ways and opinions than you.

I certainly remember you from 4 or 5 years ago when I was lurking…You tend to be abrasive and controlling. I will not comment on your questions anymore. I will not play your game! Peace out.

Reread the thread to find your answer

That’s also a misconception. iOS 15, soon to be released, will support the iPhone 6S, which was introduced in 2015 with iOS 9. iOS 13 was the last version to drop support for some devices, due to memory requirements, but those whose support ended with iOS 12 still receive critical security updates. iPadOS 15 will support the iPad Air 2, which was released in 2014, with iOS 8.

The bottom line is that batteries are still consumables, and have a finite life span. From a practical standpoint, every individual has to decide how to balance utility vs. life span in their own way.

We, as humans, also have a finite life span, though certain practices may be beneficial to extending it. Or not. One could still become ill, or get hit by a bus. One might also ask those who obsess over how long their flashlight or cell phone batteries last whether they eat a healthy diet, avoid junk food, exercise, and get adequate sleep. I sure there would be some incongruity in their approaches, or inconsistency in those answers.

Now, please excuse me as my favorite candy bar awaits… :beer:

I took my phone to the certified Samsung repair shop.UbreakIfix. Supposedly they have sophisticated equipment specifically for Samsung devices. Capable of being able to tell the health/Capacity of the battery.

He said my phone battery was 94% of original capacity. I said Unacceptable! I got the phone Friday the 13th of August.One week old. I believe in an earlier post a member stated his iPhone was 4 years old and was at 85% capacity.

Mine has 6% capacity loss in 1 week, that is unacceptable. Actually the battery is probably 6 months old and they snuck it in there. Either that or abused by the prior owner who supposedly only had it two weeks, either that or no matter how good the battery the car or whatever is there are failures and defective products.

So they ordered me a new OEM battery that I will get next week.

I got a kick out of this! On the receipt the technician notes:

“BATTERY IS DECAYED A BIT” Are we talkin teeth here? His name was Forest. I think Forest got lost in the Forest and had a bunch of decayed teeth!

I am hoping this is the guy who checked me in at the front desk. And not the technician who will be working on my phone.

It took me to my early thirties until I could be assertive and fight for what I believe in. In any event as this place already knows, when the battery comes in I’m requesting to see it before installation. I want to make sure it’s an OEM battery and not an aftermarket battery. It shouldn’t be because Samsung must approve the replacement parts in order for the warranty to be valid.

As we all know Never assume anything.

Capacity loss is higher at first but settles down after a few percent, assuming the battery is taken care of.
6% loss in two weeks is highly unlikely.

20% capacity loss is considered end of life (by manufacturers), at the rate your battery went you should reach that in 7 weeks :laughing:

I do wonder if it was used for a short while then stored at 100% charge for a while before you got it. Lets say it was used for 2-3 weeks then returned then stored at full for a month before you got it.

It was a 6% loss in one week. Or let’s just say the battery has declined 6% from its original capacity. I’ve only had it one week. Like you said that damage could have happened prior. Makes no difference charging it to 100% right now and will discharge it to 15 or 20%. I don’t care about this battery now cuz I’m getting a new one next week.

Opinions on this theory???

In the old days chargers worked at lower amperages, my Nexus 4 charged at 800mA, and the phone could use over 1000mA in operation.
Today phones charge at 1500mA or much higher and the phone uses less power to do its tasks so your unlikely to use that much power using it while plugged in so using while charging will just lead to a lower charge rate, not power in and out of the battery.

I’m not sure what the answer.Online is you get 20 answers. On here you may get several answers opinions.

It says it degrades the battery and confuses the cell with mini cycles which can degrade the battery.

I forget where the website that it came from. All I know is I’m not going to do it. My thinking is it creates heat to use the phone and when you’re charging it that creates more heat. I definitely know my phone was a little warmer after watching a movie while I was charging it.

OK, if you’re in the business, then you must have statistics. Please cite the sample polling and percentages of those who found their phone battery didn’t last more than a year or two. Thanks.

OK, let’s expand for a plausible context. Your phone, after being manufactured, was boxed up and put in a warehouse. Or a cellular retail shop shelf. And who knows how long it sat there. When you activated your phone, was it nearly at full charge, or near empty/flat?

EDIT : I re-read your post and see you mention that someone else owned the phone for a few weeks. WELL… that’s a BIG UNKNOWN. No telling how the person used it. Granted, a new battery should have extremely strong stress endurance. Maybe it slipped into deep discharge more than once? Who knows.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has done “off the shelf” cellphone battery tests across multiple brands & models. It could very well find a certain percentage have less than 100% battery health. Also, how many times have you cycled your phone from full charge to near total depletion? It could just be that the chemistry needed a full exercising to show the maximum capacity of the battery…

In any case, good on you for being obstinate and getting your battery replaced, hopefully under warranty so it doesn’t cost you.

I think this is a good article.At the end it Agrees with my previous short screen shot about NOT watching movies,videos ect.why we are charging our phones.It gives the same reasons as to why we should not do it. So I agree with that. I will not watch videos Netflix while charging my phone charging my phone.

Yes…under warranty.until 2.22.22! :sunglasses:

I found that out today. Original purchase was November 22nd 2020. Somehow I got three extra months. Probably from aggravation from the first or second phone. Including original phone on November 22nd 2020 the phone I have now is the third phone! I fight for what I believe in and I get it.
Lol!

Once again, i prefer not to give details for anonymity reasons.
But you can google “how long do phone batteries last”.

Apple has been smart in their software approach of keeping the battery around 80% when left on the charger overnight.

Samsung and others have a feature that you can select a max charge percentage in the software, my tablet allows an 85% max if you select that option.
And there are other approaches, some manufacturers charge a device to a max of 4V and call that full charge, hence the device never sees over 80. And ditto for bottom of the scale, they consider say 10 as empty so the battery never sees fully drained.

The Chevy Volt EV uses this type of smart lithium management and its worked amazingly well for them, their wear numbers are impressive.

Bort… don’t forget that link that I posted. Post 82. It goes against your belief. The end of the article very end about not charging your phone while watching videos Etc. It backs up my screenshot post, post number 77

I’m guessing here that guy who wrote that article he knows more about cell phones and their batteries that at least 90% of the people on here. And I’m one of them.

They make a fair number of good points but have some mistakes

The charging while “full” is a software anomaly, all phones use a proper CC/CV charging algorithm, and that will drop to zero. Frankly manufacturers should be saying 99% until the mA hits zero so as not to confuse those who don’t know better.

The heat issues is correct in that you don’t want your phone to be warm for long but while charging the battery heats up, and to accept power at a high rate actually works best at a higher temperature, but you want to cool down as soon as charging is done. Recent Tesla cars preheat the battery if your heading to a supercharger to charge at 250kW.
Frankly you should just skip the high C rate charging completely but if your going to do it then a warm battery helps prevent lithium side reactions.

That mini cycle bit is silly.

As i mentioned in post 78 thats no longer an issue, your not likely doing bidirectional use from the battery becasue chargers are faster and phones are more efficient.
You can use the overlay function in Accubattery to view on the bottom left the current battery use and if it goes negative while charging then you are using more power than the charger is providing.
The update rate may be a bit slow but a movie is consistent enough that close observation will answer your question.

If you are using something more battery intensive then test that.
Now i really gotta go take care of things.

That article was written 8.15.21.Five days ago.It is not obsolete.