DinoDirect:supfire X5"Group Buy" *$18.99*Now you can order more than one

Pleased with mine, don’t think you will find a better sub $20 light out there. Nothing I have in that price range is better. Well built, good anodizing, nice gray color(little darker than an Xintd), orange button cover and green lanyard are nice and a little different,

For the lucky few who received theirs early, any comparisons, night shots or white wall tests to share pls? :stuck_out_tongue:

Great idea Marc… I think they’re on vacation for another week+ or so but maybe I can help out.

I never received a magic-link after posting the request earlier in the thread (in all fairness I didn’t pursue it reading that others were having the same trouble). Having prior purchases and communications with Ms. Qing I sent off a query to her late last week with a link to the page here at BLF.

I guess that pretty much sums it…

However when I go to taobao I see the Supfire company store (only retail boxed) but also other taobao stores that offer retail boxed/authentic stickered AND offer the individual lights w/lanyard. My earlier posts relayed the Supfire anti-counterfeiting campaign (seems like this scratch-sticker thing is catching on: XTAR’s going to start using the same process), but it seems like they may have some “official” greymarket pipeline of which DD and others are a part (seconds or hosts that others complete or etc.) or it just may be plain old Chinese counterfeits

If you’ve been to their Chinese or English websites you’ve seen a sorta’ flashy appearance with that lengthy corporate video - Supfire has their origin with cavemen making fire :slight_smile: - here’s the vid for that C8-T6 I have

My take is that Supfire is a large company… they’re branded (think like maglite) with a bunch of advertising dollars and want to protect their brand officially but there may be an unofficial channel(?) and/or counterfeiting.

Where did the DD lights come from? Guess we’ll have to wait Summer’s response about the missing authentication stickers after China’s holiday…

i havent gotten a shipping notice yet… mine probably wont go out until after the holiday

Thanks for all of this info Tom E!

Confirming my understanding of the measurements I got with the 18650 and the CR123a’s: with either the 6x350’s/2.1A or 6x380’s/2.28A I would NOT get anything higher? I’ve got low-voltage warnings featured on both lights with both protected and unprotected cells: possible without regulation?

The C8 is listed as featuring 6x7135 at the site so I guess I’m going to get it apart to see what came from the factory and note any discrepancy with the site info (though I have to say that for the price I paid - full retail boxed packages of $22/C8-T6 and <$22/A6-T6 and right around $55 with epacket for both) it would be difficult to be more pleased: beams are outstanding, and fit/finish are the equal)

Got two laptop battery packs under my belt (no sparks) but need some assistance with this: after the head is off and the reflector and the white centering piece is out, how do you get at the emitter and driver board? Any tools?

Thanks in advance, m

m -

1 - with 7135 based drivers, no, you should not get anything higher, maybe slightly depending on batteries/circuits, but I've only seen within 0.05A or so.

2 - oh boy, should be posted info on this, but here it goes. With the battery out, most lights (and the X5) have 2 drilled holes on the top of the pill outside edge, use needlenose or snap ring pliers to unscrew it. Once the pill is out, you'll have easy access to the driver (underside) and emitter (top side). Drivers are fastened in different ways - if it's a 7135 based driver with at least 5 7135's and 17mm in diameter, it should be double sided, therefore probably soldered to brass at a couple of points around the edge of the driver. You can use various means to remove or cut through the solder, then the driver may fall out or have to be gently pryed out - but beware: some drivers have short +/- LED wires, not coiled, in that case you need to de-solder the connections on the emitter board. Mostly though, they have extra wire coiled up in the pill, allowing you to remove the driver.

Thanks Tom E for that confirmation and I’m learning a lot. It’s clear then that their C8-T6 - with just under 3A for 2xCR123a - is NOT running the 7135’s in spite of the website stats “Control circuit: the default is reliable, efficient 7135X6 constant current circuit board (with memory, low battery over-discharge protection)” on either of their English sites

nor their Chinese site ” 控制电路:默认为可靠、效率最高的7135X6 恒流电路板(带记忆,带电池低压过放保护) ”

Didn’t mean to put you on the spot Tom E but I’m glad you answered with the process and the tools needed. I may not soon replace the driver but definitely want to find out the missing 6x7135 that’s supposed to be there!

Thanks again :slight_smile:

m - from the look of the photos on that site, you should be able to take off the tube part, then access to the back of the driver (+ battery spring). You can see the same thing there with the 2 holes on the retaining ring, unscrew that, and see if it comes out easy - it should. The bad news from that photo is that 6*7135 drivers are always 2-sided, and that photo shows a 1 sided board. Can't be certain, because maybe that board w/spring is not the driver, but connected to the driver inside, but I really doubt that - more expensive setup.

Here’s the underside of the head/reflector setup - seems to be the same as the X5 on the site and the pics I saw on taobao

I’ll try to get an appropriate tool for those indents later today or tomorrow. Thanks again!

s. golden color might be brass?

m - yep, brass

Thanks for that m,

Here’s what I think. I think the bodies are seconds/rejects and the rest of the light is quite possible not Supfire. It is advertised as having a thicker lens with AR coating, if you look on the pictures on DX and read the blurb it says it has AR. Mine has thin glass and no AR! Mine also only pulls 2.3A not 2.8A as advertised. That’s quite a difference! It comes with no Serial no card as promised, but as I said on my torch the serial number is not even readable. It has been either applied a few times by accident or has had another serial number put over it. Either way it cannot be read.

Thank you for that post, It does look like DD are at it again. I just wish they would be honest. I would rather have paid $5 more and got a real one!

Marc.

Sorry Flash, I not sure I follow. You say you have been getting a bit of ear ache? For what exactly?

Marc.

When I get the X5 from Summer I’ll update :slight_smile:

Ok mate. Keep us updated.

Marc.

You won’t! I don’t think anybody has or will. The problem is lots of people will see these comments as moaning and nit picking. But as for my comments they are born out of frustration. I have never yet had a straight forward transaction with DinoDirect there is always something either the item doesn’t arrive or if it does it takes 65 days! Or in more than one case you don’t get what you wanted or what was promised.

The torch is of very good quality, but many of the features that Summer promised are missing.

Marc.

Hey flash, Where did your last post go?

It looks like i am replying to myself :smiley:

Marc.

Why is the “Scratch and Sniff” serial number thing a big deal?

You think all those Guitars on Ebay that say “Signed by all members of Bon Jovi with Certificate of Authenticity” are really real?
Anyone can fake anything. BFD.

Bottom line, is the product you bought worth more than the sum of it’s parts?
If it is, you are ahead of the game, after all, Parts Is Parts.

If not, then you have a right to be disappointed and are hereby encouraged to Not Buy from that retailer again.
If, however you DO buy from that retailer again, you are hereby encouraged to not be surprised and deal with it.

This ain’t rocket science kids, they are Budget Flashlights from Budget China dealers and the expectation bar should be set appropriately.
I am pleasantly surprised my deals turn out as good as they do for the small money invested, I feel I am way ahead of the game and hope these lights Never become mainstream.

Peace out,
Keith

for under $20? it’s a very good deal… as it is a lot brighter than my TR-C12 or C8…
i wished i bought 2 of them :frowning:

I’m in for 1 pc.

I hear what you’re saying Keith, but if I sold you something and said it had X, Y and Z and when it arrived it didn’t have them and to top it off it might even be a fake. Are you saying you wouldn’t say anything?

I understand these are budget lights but the point is, it was a group buy and we were suppose to be getting a real deal. It’s not a real deal if it is not what we expected or fake.

On a side note can everyone read the serial number on there torch? If so Is it 4006883323 like mine? :~ As I know of at least two that have the same serial number.

Marc.