Do any of you prefer cool white, compared to neutral?

I was thinking too hard. I just need to let it come to me naturally . . .

butitneverdoesFoy

I prefer cool white, over neutral or warm, or high CRI, because it keeps the bulb from overheating. Not really, but I come from the old school, the land of incandescents, and anything with an orange or reddish hue makes me think I’m using a MagLite from 1989. The first time I saw portable illumination that made me freak out, was a NiteRider bicycle light, and the blueish tint really made me happy for some reason.

Now, when I see cool white, I instantly think LED, newer technology, the latest and greatest. When I see warmer colors, I always think of fireplaces, outhouses, horse and buggy, Amish people, no indoor plumbing, things like that.

So, since it’s been ingrained in my old-fashioned mind and the nightmares I’ve had with incandescents, I’ll always choose cool blue over anything else. I have one light that is warm, and that’s enough for me. It’s nice, for those rare instances where romantic lighting is more important than seeing clearly.

I don’t stress or even think about tint. More interested in amount of light output and cw simply puts out more light.

5000k for me!.

got a ZL SC600MkII L2 CW, and a ZL SC62d 5000k as a back up EDC.

use these on airside for my job mostly.

I’ve been through more than 100 lights, and I’ve always liked the neutral whites better. Somewhere in the region of 4800k-5500K, I reckon. To my eyes contrast detail is better and everything doesn’t look so “washed out” especially with regards to foliage.
In fact I’ve slowly been whittling down my collection by selling off/giving away my cool white lights.

Hello,

How can I put it? The warm side of cool? once you get around 6000K the harsh light is hard on my eyes. I don’t care for the warmer tint of 5000K and less. So around 5700K seems to be good for me. Yes , I realize I’ve become quite picky in my old age!

Yes, in my opinion too the advantages of a neutral light really <pun>shine</pun> when used on foliage. And it also greatly improves definition of objects in a mixed dirt/rock/gravel ground.

Cool for me. Though the two xp-g2 dropins I just got from DX have a slight yellow/green tint.

I really like the 5A tints. I think that is around 4000k-45000k. It’s fairly neutral and renders color pretty well.

I much prefer neutral white, or even warm white, especially outdoors where it seems to allow my eyes to perceive a natural 3D effect. Cool white seems to make everything appear flat, two-dimensional.

I like the 1A tint. (Makes decisions to dedome rather difficult to make.)

Once it gets around 4C I tend not to pick up the flashlight anymore.

i want to get the ZL sc600w mkII L2 in neutral 4400k, but will try my hand at the new soon sc62d 5000k 18650 with a pure white tint. the yellowy tint of the 4400 wears off me pretty soon, so will give this 5000 a go.

thanks.