Do-It-Myself Wall Sconce light

A while back I posted a first image of some test assembled parts that I posted in the “”What did you mod today?“”:What did you mod today? - #11497 by MtnDon topic. I have completed that project today, just in time to give it to myself for Christmas. (I apologise for the poor focus with some of the images. I was rushing myself and did not stop to check before moving along.)

Here it is….

I have a 4 foot wide alcove “desk” I use for my PC and assorted paper/computer tasks. For assorted reasons I have been unhappy with the ceiling light and the present desk light. I wanted a wall mounted and easy to reach light for times when I want some light on the desktop work surface. (double stick 3M tape for mounting)

Here are the guts of the light in final test configuration. It is much the same as before except the 3700 mAh cell has been swapped for two 2000 mAh cells connected in parallel and I did away with the JST battery connectors as they were taking up too much space.

The driver is a 3 amp LD4A. That feeds a quad of LH351D, 4000K led’s.

There is a 2 amp charger board with USB-C input with a dual color charge indicator led. All encased in a wood enclosure I made. There is a copper heatsink.

Omten 1288 rev clicky switch

Finished light…

1 Thank

Looks awesome, my complements to your unique work.

Very cool! You’re a master.

It looks great, and I like the word “sconce.”

Looks like a little bird house on the wall! Wonderful craftsmanship as always, Don!

But change that one screw to slotted brass… :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Yes, brass would be nice. With the slot exactly veryical. My on hand supply of 2-56 has only S/S or black oxide and none of the black were long enough. So S/S got used. I should have checked before deciding to use 2-56 ss I go have suitable 4-40 brads. I will have to add that to a list of what I need to order. No local supplies of 2-56 anything. :slight_smile: :+1:

Great respect for this. :slight_smile:

A few years ago I needed some good quality antique brass screws that would hold up to outdoor exposure. I couldn’t find any locally, just the crap cheap-o “brass” brite-plated stuff that is the norm in stores these days, and the same version in “antique” has some coating that just flakes away with no appreciable molestation. I finally found some plain solid brass screws and set about to antique them with something other than a torch. I tried a few internet recipes with no success. Then I stumbled upon one using ammonia with a little sacrificial copper (I used a few clipped fins from an ancient copper cpu heat sink). It took a few days and I had to come up with a clever way to suspend them above the liquid in the lidded container, but before long that ammonia turned the most gorgeous vivid cobalt blue color and the brass screws eventually transformed into a beautiful shade of old. Really nice. They held up to the abuse of the screwdriver and now many moons later with all kinds of weather they still look great. Surprised me and it was definitely worth the wait time (and not having to purchase a hundred or five hundred of them online…).