Do you guys generally use a lanyard on your lights?

Hate lanyards, hate clips, hate “tacticool rings”. Always take ’em off if at all possible.

I don’t like all that crap stuck to a light.

Nope, can’t use them. If it’s a everyday light, the lanyard hanging out of my pocket will snag on something and send it flying into an unknown realm of the universe. If it’s a big light It will get snagged on something and send it into a unknown realm of the universe. I rip every lanyard out of the box and throw it away, along with the box. :slight_smile:

I dropped a new custom MTN flashlight way back when and put a nice ding on the tail. The flashlight survived no problem, but I sure was upset with myself.

Ever since then, all my flashlights have a lanyard. I personally prefer the style that comes with the Convoy flashlights.

When my kids were younger, I told them they need to use the lanyard when they borrowed my AA flashlights. None of them were ever dropped, surprisingly. The other cheapo ones sure got banged up.

And when I go jogging in these colder months after work when it’s dark, I put the lanyard around my glove so I don’t have to worry about the flashlight slipping and falling.

It’s about half and half but I like them for a few reasons:

I have a few by the back door on a hook so anyone can use them to let the dogs out or take a walk at night around the area.
Heavier lights can benefit from them.
Kids may be less apt to drop a light if I encourage using a lanyard.
In my bag, I have a lanyard clipped to an internal loop so it’s not always working its way to the bottom of the pouch.
On my keychain, it keeps a tiny light available at all times and quickly accessible.

That said, some lanyards that come with lights are kinda flimsy and I have a few that can’t even go around my wrist. Wonder who they made those ones for?

I’ll take them off your hands. I don’t use them all the time but I make sure all my lights have them especially since I almost dropped a custom s43 in a cave

I wonder this too. Some seem unsafe (quick release), some are too small, some have metal clasps, some don’t fit through the holes. …I’ve never searched for lanyards though :stuck_out_tongue:

Quick release is safer for situations where the alternative would release (or injure) a portion of your body instead of the light.

I only use lanyards on lights I know will see heavy use on hikes. If I’m dangling an expensive light to look under a bridge or over water then I want more than a firm grip on it. It’s also nice to be able to let go of the light briefly to do something else with that hand.

First thing that goes to the trash, second is a belt clip, that scratches your case when you remove it…
Just never liked both of ’em

If I do I make my own out of paracord because I do not trust the strength of the stock ones. On the smaller flashlights I just remove the 7 inner strands so the lanyard isn’t so fat and it’s been working great for years. :smiley:

And don’t forget that a lot of the milled holes for a lanyard can be sharp, and cut through the dinky little string that holds the lanyard, so when you most need it to keep your light, it might just snap off and there it goes…

strings seem convenient but really they just get tangled with everything imaginable

That’s good to remember and why i always check for, and remove, burrs and sharp edges on everything i touch—if i draw blood from a burr it pisseth me off.

In the last week, I have dropped a couple of flashlights on the concrete while taking two dogs out to do their business in the early morning and juggling with a retractable dog leash. The KR4 now has chips on the anodizing of the bezel and tailcap; the TK18 was unscathed. I now make sure the lanyard is on my wrist before going outside.

I have a box full of them. Maybe use them for an art project of some sort? Christmas tree decos? I dunno.
I have a box full of them (from the department of redundancy department).

I never use them. I find them cumbersome and annoying. I don’t care if I drop a light. They are tools, not jewelry. I don’t use a lanyard on my expensive power drill either.

If I was in a situation where dropping a light could be a hazard, such as working at height in a construction site, I might use one. Other than that, they just get in the way.

Wow dude I suggest you change your handle to “ParacordLord”

Thanks to the guy who created this thread. I’ve been buying packs of lanyards with adjustable “wrist tightening” on Amazon but they wear out and break after a while.

Can anyone recommend a premium “price no object” lanyard to buy for a non Paracord guru?