Do you guys like partially serrated knives?

Chloe, may you really still own kitchen knifes in England, legally? :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll be outlawed in due course!! :bigsmile:

Oh, speaking of which, did you ever see these?

A lot of sharpening systems have ways to do this. My Spyderco sharpmaker for example has a DVD that shows you how to sharpen a serrated blade with the sharpmaker. Made my Waveā€™s serrated blade sharper than the factory did- itā€™s actually less steps to sharpen a serrated than a straight edge.

Hereā€™s the section that shows you how. The first part of the video address it.

Thanks mhanlen and BIGWOOD for the serrated edge sharpening tips. I currently only have a Japanese whetstone to use, but I donā€™t hold my angles consistently enough during sharpening to get a really great edge with that, even on a straight edge. My friend is a hobbyist knife maker and recommended the Spyderco Sharpmaker to me as well for both types of edges, so itā€™s definitely next on my shopping list!

They seems to be not much selling well according to shops. I think due to their spilt personality.

I put off buying this for two years and finally got it a few months ago. Heck, it even shows you how to sharpen scissors and vegetable peelers with that thing. Great device. And like you I am terrible at freehand- wish I would have invested in it when I first started buying knives.

Not a big fan. I obsessively keep my knives scary sharp, so most of the time I wouldnā€™t see enough value in a serrated / semi-serrated edge to make up for the hassle of being so hard to sharpen. Iā€™d rather just keep my plain edge EDC sharp.

EDIT: I use a Japanese Whetstone as well, and Iā€™m also no genius with it, so Iā€™ve also been considering the sharpmaker.

I sharpen my knives with DMT diamond whetstones and leather strops.
If I had serrations to hone, I would definitely get a Veff sharpener.

+1

Yes.

I have one but thatā€™s it. Itā€™s one of 4 knives on rotation for work but other than being a work tool it dosenā€™t get used.

I have one that I ordered with a partially serrated blade, but that's because it's a rescue knife, and I thought I should have all the options.

Nice, a triage!

I believe it won knife of the year when it came out. :slight_smile:

Of course you can just grind off the anti-stab bit and it doesnā€™t stop you slitting someoneā€™s throat with it.

Yes.
Because many of my EDC tasks are cutting cord/boxes+ tape/ropeā€”and serrations are useful for these tasks.

my Syderco Dragonfly is my fav lightweight, partially serrated knife for this.

Until recently cutting a thick tow strap and I was sure grateful I had some serrations that made the job oh so much easier!

No, i hate them!

No.

Not a fan generally - but I could not live without my Remington. Good to have in my collection.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1601189471/remington-fast-fixed-blade-hunting-knife-5-3-8-serrated-440-stainless-steel-drop-point-blade-rubber-coated-aluminum-handle