Do you guys like partially serrated knives?

I love this snippet from that article ;

“He says a knife can never be totally safe, but the idea is it can’t inflict a fatal wound. Nobody could just ”grab one out of the kitchen drawer and kill someone”

Holy hell, like you cant use the edge to slice a throat, or wrist. I think that point was mentioned by someone else in this thread, but I just can’t get over how stupid that quote is.

No, I have no use for them.
Having said that Ouchyfoot mentioned the Veff serrations, I’d really like to have a go with those because they would solve the main problem with serrated blades, they catch on materiel and you can’t get a cut going. The Veff serrations are more gradual and have nowhere to catch on stuff that you are cutting. The other problem with serrated design is that unless the blade is straight sided up from the serrations, not FFG or hollow ground the serrations bind on the cut edge of whatever it is that you’re cutting.

This design seems the best, for my use anyway.

The flat top serrations give an increase in cutting edge but don’t catch on what’s being cut.
The first U.K legal carry from a major U.S.A. manufacturer that I’ve wanted in ages, the Liong Mah folders, just about affordable as well. Although I can get a lot of Enlans for the £37 - $60 that the Liong Mah’s cost.

And that’s our press and politicians for you. They’ve just about succeeded in making everybody think that if you carry a knife that you are a homicidal maniac.

Some days ago i needed cut on pieces a big carboard box in my home (i do not work with knives). I used one of my partial serrated blade (i have only two because i do not like). Well, the box was thick (double carboard) and the serrated part was horrible but the plain edge was much better and smoother trough the carboard.

A well sharpened plain edge is better under most circumstances than a serrated edge. Serrated knives tend to keep cutting when dulled though.

I have a four fully serrated knives, but I don’t like partially serrated edges since they seem like the worst of both worlds, neither plain nor serrated sections being long enough for any real work.

Hm, I’m not sure.

I bought a giant Dalton Militia Cupid 1/2 serrated.
A few months after, I bought the plain blade one too.
I hate making decisions.

But, as you know, these are not for cutting,
but for penetration.

I wonder if the serrated one will
extract more meat.

Any volunteers?.
Just kidding.

I think serrated knives are racier.
But they look smaller.

Buy what your heart dictates.

Be happy. Carlos.

with force applied, once the knife breaks away from the serrated edge to the straight edge. Almost cut myself once or twice.

These Kershaw serrations look like they’d work well.

I like the added versatility of a serrated blade for certain purposes - cutting rope, cord and other tough to cut items comes to mind. I may be in the minority here, I don’t know - because I like to keep my knives reasonably sharp, but not SO razor sharp that myself or someone else can seriously cut themselves without even realizing it.

I don’t want my pocket knives to be quite as sharp as a well-honed straight razor, so serrations may come in more handy for me than for those who like to keep their knives literally sharp enough to shave with. Which is why in general I prefer ‘combo’ blades. I even have one knife - a Victorinox Nomad - that is fully serrated!

No. I like to keep my EDC knives scary sharp so there’s not much they can’t cut. If I need a saw, I go get a saw.

Serrations have appeal to guys that don’t sharpen their knives for whatever reason, or even own a sharpening stone and just accept dull blades as the normal state of affairs. Even when the blade goes very dull, the serrations still cut things…there are more of those folks running around than you might imagine.

Hi, nice to meet you! I’m one of those people.

I work on swimming pools daily, and I carry a CRKT with the Veff(sp?) serrations. It tears through rope and breaking down boxes to throw back in the truck. I’m fully aware that a razor sharp straight edge would be just as good, if not better, than serrations, but my lil CRKT mini my-tighe is my work horse. It also doubles as a screw driver, pry bar, widgy, hammer, etc etc….Having a razor sharp blade on the tip would actually probably make it slightly less useful for what I use it for.

I’ve had the thing for 5 years or so, been in my pocket almost every day since then.

Anti-stab? :smiley: Really?
Ok, I’m sure they will indeed reduce stabbings somewhat but…. at first look it does seem humorous.

Already exists.

I’ll even offer myself up for one free stab attempt. :smiley:

Come at me Horstmann!! :davie:

Don’t come at me Horstmann!! :ghost: