Do you have an emergency plan? Lights? Food/ Water stowed?

I’ve been thinking about this lately after reading that some don’t rely on lithium powered lights for emergency/ in the car etc. Here

Our town had a 100 year tornado come through about 7 (we’ve been here 4) years ago and if it happened again I will admit my family would be ill prepared. I have my own views but I just want to see where this goes…

We can help each other learn and bounce ideas off one another at the same time. I’m sure there are some experts here!

• #1 Best emergency light obviously :wink:
  • What’s wrong with a stockpile of laptop pulls vs. primaries?
  • Do you keep fresh water stored?
  • Canned food/mre’s?
  • Water filtration system?
  • Bug out bag?
  • Weapons (personal protection)?
  • Generator?

What am I missing? And doing all this on a budget!!!

Trunk Monkey?

I don’t do probes!!! Hah LOLOL!

Very helpful Jubeldum that is a must have!

Additional items (not on your original list):

• Battery powered radio.
  • First aid kit.
  • Some form of USB charger (to recharge cell phones and the like).
  • Non-potable water source for personal hygiene needs.
  • Propane, sterno, firewood, charcoal or other heat source for cooking.
  • Tarpaulins, duck tape.
  • A good, sharp general purpose knife.

As to emergency flashlights and batteries:

I simply attach diffusers to my flashlights and they do a decent job as emergency lanterns. 100 lumens is more than enough to light the dark. 1000 lumens lights up half the house.

I keep a couple of dozen cr123As handy. Unfortunately, not all of my flashlights can use them. But I usually have 6-10 fully charged 18650’s around. Used sparingly, I figure my family could get by for six months without worrying about any lighting needs.

Thanks 1dash1. I’ve always wanted one of these.

I think the term EDC (Every Day Carry) has become as much about gadgetry as it has anything else. If you distill it down, it is just what you think you will need for 90% of the things you do every day. Then you carry it, everyday…

A good resource is the publication Locusts on the Horizon the writing is less about EXACTLY what you need and more about being flexible with some good equipment. Not a tell all for everyone, but some good practical stuff for those interested. FerFal is good, his blog is here. I think he takes a good pragmatic (experience based) view on things too.

Part of my reason for the thread on a low lumen/long runtime light HERE is due to my experiences living without electricity at times. Still working that build though….

I know there is more than one way to skin a cat, but keeping those other ways in mind during an emergency is the hard part. Some preparation helps, too much becomes its own disaster…

There s nothing wrong with having LiIon cells like 18650’s or 14500’s for an emergency kit, as long as you keep them charged and rotate their use periodically. ( also NiMH cells are good too for those purposes. Though Lithium primaries have a long shelf life for storage, they still do slowly drain as all batteries do, but they don’t leak out like alkalines do.
for long tern power outages, a Nitecore i2 or i4 Charger can run from a 20 watt or higher 12 volt solar panel to keep charging your LiIon & NiMH cells indefinitely without the need for any other AC or DC power source, meaning you can have battery power sources for years in an off-grid emergency situation.

For basic emergency preparedness here is a list of some basic items you should definitely have in a safe place

- Drinking water (if stored, rotate periodically by using and re-filling)

- Drinking water filer, ( Sawyer, Katadyn, etc)

- extra 10 - 15 gallons of clean water for hygiene purposes

- several rolls of toilet paper

- Flashlights, lanterns, and batteries/cells to power them

- tarps ( for improvised shelter)

- good First aid Kit

- $ 100 in extra emergency cash

- Extra medications that you may need if you are required to use them, ( prescription meds, etc.

- food rations/supply to last a minimum of 1 or 2 weeks for everyone
-Weather AM/FM/SSB Radio (powered by batteries, solar or Crank)

- Small camp Axe, survival knife, folding saw

- small alcohol or propane stove and fuel, (with pot, kettle, etc.)

- emergency change of warm clothes & sturdy shoes

- personal hygiene items, ( tooth brush, tooth paste, soap, deoderant etc)

- 100 feet of paracord

- SAS Survival booklet

• Rain gear/poncho

depending on your area, add weapons for defense if necessary

There are more defined items that can be added to the list, but most of that above is just the basic needed items you should have.

all of these items should be in a a sturdy back pack, dufflebag, and stored in a safe place readily reachable in a weather emergency when you need them. ( as in your tornado safe-room in your house, etc.

Skill and experience are some of the most important factors in my opinion. You can have all the gear in the world but if you don’t know what you are doing or how to use it, you might as well have nothing.

Here is your long running light, the Pak-lite with an 8 AA cell holder, and a dummy cell or two, to manage voltage between NiMH and Alkaline AAs, it makes for a room light, or a flashlight and you can use 9 volt, or AA, or AAA batteries

Along with the other excellent ideas I keep:

to purify water

- several Steripens

- tincture of iodine with an eye dropper

- regular bleach

- several Katadyn and Sweet water filters

- iodine tablets

• coffee filters (to remove particulates from water)

- assorted AA/18650 lights

- Goal Zero solar panels with the battery packs (I tested them and they charge my 18650’s using the Miller ML102 charger)

- duct tape and plastic painting sheets (to cover broken windows, temporary shelter, etc)

- emergency food for a month

- shotgun/handguns (call me paranoid but I think people will change for the worse when desperate)

- extra eye glasses

• small crowbar

I have been debating buying a desalinator like this but it requires regular maintenance. Instead I will probably go with this I live in San Francisco and ocean water is plentiful but not drinkable :frowning:

When I lived on the beach my plan for salt water usage was 5 gallon buckets to scoop up the ocean water for toilet flushing and my water still, and I had a large pressure cooker with 60’ of stainless steel tubing, to make a salt water still, and also the makings for a large, box, solar water still in case of a lack of fuel.

Brain- you ain’t gonna survive anything if yours isn’t up to snuff. The world is different today, but remember that back in 1840 a man could go walkabout into the wilderness and live for a year with only what he could carry. That’s the mentality it takes and that’s still essentially the same stuff you need today.

A short list of what’s stocked and ready here from second-most-important downward:

Water- life ain’t gonna to last long without it. In house, vehicles, other places near and far. I know where the creeks, rivers, and shallow wells are here and in the directions I’ll go if I can’t stay here. I know where it hides in normal life like water heaters and toilet tanks and gutters and washing machine hoses. I can purify and carry it. I’ll have water aplenty no matter what.

Knives- kept sharp and several of them. The most useful tool ever invented and as good a close-in weapon as there ever was if you know how to use it that way. Gathers foods. Makes other useful things. Good trading material. As vital to life as:

Fire- again many ways to make them (even big ones). Also a weapon if used correctly. More vital to immediate life than water in cold weather. Makes light as long as you can fuel it. Knives can help you get materials to build them.

Arms- if you can’t keep it, then it’s not yours to start with and someone else will take it from you unless you can stop them from doing that. Have only what you can carry on hand; you don’t want to leave an armory behind for your opponents to use against you. Choose based on your need but must have at least one man-stopper-sized pistol and a full reload for it along with the expertise to use it well.

50’ of 3/8 or heavier Rope- not paracord which will not safely support a falling person’s weight. Whatever paracord does rope simply does better and stronger. Six essential knots will serve 99% of your purposes. Some nylon carpenter or braided mason’s string is handy too.

Tools- if you got these you can make whatever you need. Multi-tool and SAK is just the start, add a crescent wrench and vise-grips. Hatchet serves as a hammer and a weapon, small single-bit axe does the same if you prefer that. A short bow-saw blade and a couple hacksaw blades take almost no space, some heavy wire (tie wire for rebar aka ‘mechanic’s wire’) and a green bough make a frame for them. Duct tape a must, just too handy not to have. Full set of tools and likely-needed parts in every vehicle.

Shoes- choose based on your need but you may have to walk a long way to safety so these are vital, thus you always have some suitable ones on hand in case the ones you’re wearing get lost, damaged, aren’t suitable for purpose or whatever. Shoestrings have a number of uses and non-canvas shoes can carry liquids or loose stuff like a pocket does. May help someone else, no great loss if you have to toss them to gain space for other stuff. Rubber soles make smokier signal fires.

Food- you gotta eat, but you can go quite some time without that. And you can’t carry enough food to keep you going what with everything else you need to have so learn how to eat from the world around you- it won’t be delicious but it will keep you alive and you’ll need it if your stored foods aren’t available or run out. Urbanites can gather food from their different ‘land’ differently but that supply won’t last forever so learn the edible plants in your area. Salt is essential to life and works wonders on found foods. Most important is now: stop stuffing your face! Train your body to function on only what it needs and your food will go twice as far. I do physical work for a living and I eat less than 2K calories a day in two meals only. My body is efficient, strong, and healthy. I rarely feel hunger. I can easily go 2 days without eating without any loss of anything, mental or physical. If you eat like a pig now you will have to continue that or you’ll lose those vital mental and physical functions when you need them the most.

Shelter- your mylar ‘space blanket’ is worthless for this, Some heavy contractor grade garbage bags do better, make rain ponchos, impromptu seeping bags, carry stuff and with the duct tape makes a much sturdier shelter in storms. A real blanket, preferably wool, makes a myriad of things from clothing to lashing strips to wicks to a sediment filter for water.

Medical supplies- again based on needs but at least enough to deal with the emergencies you can handle alone. One almost always missing vital component is a petrolatum bandage for sucking chest wounds; collapse a lung and you’re dead. Army surplus has those. Keep up-to-date, most medical stuff has a limited lifespan and likes cool dry storage. Longer terms need antibiotics and powerful pain meds. No good if you don’t know how to use the stuff you’ve got so learn that too.

Apologies for not being specific but my stocking patterns change seasonally and everyone’s needs are different so what works best here might not there. Lights fit in here somewhere, but there were no flashlights through most of human history so you can probably do fine without them. One thread goes throughout all of this- you must test your stuff abusively to know it is good enough, you must know how to use your stuff well and in every circumstance you might encounter, and you must practice with your stuff. That’s why the first item comes first; your brain used properly is the most powerful weapon and survival tool in the world. Know your stuff and you’ll be OK. Lack that and you won’t no matter how much other stuff you have.

Phil

Great post Sawmaster. Lots of thought envoking ideas to share. You think the way I do. Posts/info like that teaches a man to fish.

Heck yeah! Thank you guys for the great info and advice!

I have some of this tackled but not as much as would probably be necessary in an emergency. Lights I have covered…. probably at least 30 to choose from (headlamps,flashlights, lanterns etc.). I also keep at least 200 AA, 100 AAA, and 50 or so of C and D, but only about a dozen 9 volt batteries. I also have in the neighborhood of 50 18650’s in various states of charge in an ammo can so that alone should last us longer than a couple months. Then if I ran out of rechargeables the primaries should last a really long time before I would need more. :slight_smile:

*Fresh water I need to do better. Stored I only have about a measly 10 gallons but I have access to all that we need (if travel is possible). I currently have nothing to purify other than iodine tablets.

* Food I have around 400 lbs of dried food (that won’t be tasty but will be sustenance and last a long time) and a few random things like tea, a couple gallons of honey (never spoils)20lbs of iodized salt, etc. etc. I should probably add to what I have though.

* As far as protection and firearms…. yes. Covered.

* Bug out bag. I have none, but I should think more about it.

* I am currently looking for a generator and also a small solar panel which would both be mounted on a small utility trailer to get out of town if the need arose.

* I also have numerous camping setups and gear for various conditions. There is no way I would end up stacked like cordwood in a stadium like in hurricane Katrina so having options is important.

*However you decide to tackle it I would start small and be systematic. Make a list and then watch for items on that list to go on sale or look for used gear or equipment that you can get for a song (then test and make sure you can trust it). People who try and do it all at once or get carried away tend to spend way too much and also end up with things that have little to no use.

I spaced my post out with paragraphs etc. but it bunched it all back together. What keeps that from happening?

You will need to use the advanced post editor to use paragraph commands & options.

Not sure what you’re doing wrong.

Whenever I have problems with editing the format of my postings, I choose the Advanced Post Editor. Click the Input Format button just below the user comment window. Click on the Advanced Post Editor selector. Then write your message. While in the Advanced Post Editor mode, use the smaller set of format buttons located below the normal format buttons on the toolbar.

If you’ve got a particularly long or complicated message to post (mixed fonts, highlights, colors, etc.), it would be easiest to write it in your wordprocessor. Then, cut and paste the message into the Advanced Post Editor. Most (if not all) of the formatting should be preserved.

My original post came through as all one paragraph even though I typed several. Then I tried to edit into individual ones again and it stayed the same…. :confused:

Oh well.

I simply hit “enter” twice like an old typewriter’s ‘carriage return’ to get to the next paragraph.

Like here.

Phil