Do you know Morse code?

Back in the days, a competitive-natured bunch of ham radio operators in my area would try to outdo their rival and set higher and more elaborate antennas.
Well, a few years back, these things had to be taken down. Not as much fun dishing $350+ for a crane and operator when the enthusiasm isn’t in vogue.

My dad was a Ham’ster. Rather than have an elaborate steel frame antenna, tried various rigs atop roofs. With time, nature took care of those.

I think the enjoyment came from the challenges of building bigger / better / more efficient receivers and emitters. As for the actual calls, more so as far out respondents were the bounty. On some good meteorological conditions, got a response a quarter globe. Dad would be enthusiastic.

Oh, voice-over and not code - Dad didn’t care for the tapety-tap-tap.

I got my ham license long after the code requirements were dropped. I know there are several apps to learn with, and I sometimes get the urge to try, but it quickly fades. :partying_face:

Someone just happened to show me this video today. It seems like a clever approach, and I haven’t seen anything like it before.

I feel like I am much more familiar with the spaces in between the dits and dahs.

..-.--... --- .. - ;;; .....-.-.--.-.....-.--...-..-..-.-. "WHAT's that boy !!! .? Timmy fell into the well ?"