This question is for Li-ion battery chargers, phone/tablet/laptop chargers or any other mobile device charger when NOT in use.
I leave my smartphone and laptop charger plugged when not in use.
These are behind my nightstand and to unplug and replug these every time I charge would be a slight hassle as I charge randomly and frequently.
I used to leave my Xtar charger plugged in when not in use, just the walwart.
I recently have unplugged the Xtar walwart since it has a green LED light and I don’t want to waste energy and raise my bill unnecessarily.
After searching the web a bit it seems the smartphone chargers of the past few years use very little when plugged in.
I also understand that it is worse to leave you device plugged in to charger when it is already fully charged.
I’m curious to what practices/advice other members here have?
All the time.
My phone charger has been plugged in for at least two years. Works just fine. I can’t be bothered to plug it in/out of the outlet, I’ll take the expense of whatever vampire current draw and wear and tear it takes.
I unplug all chargers and also switch off the power strip. I don’t trust them, I also have no smoke alarm and sleep with plugs in my ears (help me get deeper sleep). I used to leave my Mac on but since the battery is dead now I also switch it off.
Thanks for the input!
This question is more about saving energy as a whole (1st world global scale) from all our walwarts as opposed to safety concerns.
Since my Xtar walwart has the green LED constantly ON I decided to unplug that one and only have it plugged in while in use.
I don’t how much it is actually using, maybe I need to get some type of walwart/plug checking device.
I have everywhere switchable powerstrips which I always Switch off when not in use. Laptop, Chargers,TV, PC everywhere.
If you have 10devices which consume only half a Watt in standby you get
10*0.5*24*365=43kWh which are used for nothing….so doing that is very unecological and uneconomical.
Especially with the smart devices we have today which only consume very small amounts of energy it’s ridiculous.
For example if you use a phone with 10Wh and recharge it 365 times a year you would only consume 4kWh for using it one year. I choosed 10Wh because that is also the energy for recharging a18650.
so recharging a battery everyday consumes the same amount of energy like to let the charger stay plugged in but with the big difference that it has no use…
I keep my RCA USB outputs and LaCrosse BC700 plugged in all the time but they are CSA approved items. Both have been tested and use less then 1 watt idling, and are on a powerbar that i can turn off when i want to.
I NEVER leave any direct from china items plugged in, they are typically not CSA, UL or CE approved and even if they have a sticker saying they are its more then possible they are counterfeit.
I use about 130 kw of electricity per month and don’t sweat the chargers much, but a surge protected power strip seems to be the right idea, and you can get ones with individual switches if you want.
I keep meaning to set up a charging station using a power strip with individual switches so that I can leave everything plugged in, yet have individual control, and separation from surges when not being used.
I resell dozens of flashlights each month (with cells and charger) and make each customer promise that they will not leave their chargers plugged in after use or leave them unattended while charging. Its good practice to unplug and takes so little effort, which might prevent your house from burning down and/or injuring someone.
Since about four weeks ago, I always unplug or power off any chargers.
My brother lives on a grid where there are too many people connected with solar panels on their roofs. He had a Nitecore i4 plugged in but empty of batteries.
He and his wife were eating lunch one day, and they heard a loud “pop” in the next room. He investigated and smelled acrid electrical smoke.
His nitecore was dead!
A nice bright sunny day and with all those solar panels producing extra power, seems their grid voltage gets up over 255v when it should be ~240v.
His TV went out another day (a small power board fried) . His neighbours have reported similar issues with over-voltage in the area.
My son, on the other side of the country, has some gadget on his computer, modem etc that trips when voltage gets too high, and it records the time and over-voltage. This happens occasionally in the middle of hot sunny days here in Queensland. His analysis is that it is the over input to the grid by solar panels controlled by cheap Chinese controllers.
Keep ’em off when not in use, or protect them with something.
Thanks, this is why i can’t see li ion flashlights becoming mainstream, the chargers are not there yet and the batteries need special care (some of mine are now overheating when i charge so i toss them, the chargers don’t have temperature protection, and non enthusiasts would just ignore it).
I wish 4AA was mainstream, eneloops are safe, chargers are plentiful, it could run XP-L chips at 3A without trouble, but would need temperature protection in the light, tailstanding at high amps, or the light in a blanket or drawer or duffel bag for example could cause big problems.