Do you use a MAC or a PC and why

Agreed :slight_smile: that’s why the reference was so twisted :wink:

Ditto, going to hit the sack and I don’t even have any cats :slight_smile:

Have a restful night! I’m off to make myself some morning (almost noon) coffee somewhere outdoors.

I agree completely.
Some Amazon employees aren’t treated so well, but overall I still kinda like Bezos.
We had Starlink internet for about 16 months, and it was the best internet we could get until fiber came to our neighborhood.
Once Musk acquired Twitter (“X”), his true personality was more exposed, and that’s when I realized who Musk really is. :+1:

1 Thank

Now it’s my bedtime, too…
I’ll see everyone tomorrow. :zzz:

Do you use a MAC or a PC

No.

…

Oh wait, there was more to the question.

Do you use a MAC or a PC and why

Linux. Because Mac and PC both suck. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

…

Okay, but more seriously… Free software is generally built for two purposes:

• Doing what people need, as simply and as effectively as possible.
  • Empowering people by giving them the resources to scratch their own itches, do things their own way, etc… instead of depending on a corporation.

Proprietary software, especially at a large scale like MacOS or Windows, is generally built for different purposes:

• To maximize a corporation’s market share and profits.
  • To eliminate competition.
  • To extract as much money from users as possible, going right up to the limit of what people will tolerate without leaving or revolting.
  • Performing a useful function is still necessary, generally, but it’s a lower priority task, an expense which mostly just serves to facilitate the goals in previous list items.

So with proprietary systems, there is a lot of user-hostile stuff involved. It’ll do what the user needs, more or less, within the limits of what the corporation feels like allowing… but the user and the software have an adversarial relationship which causes all sorts of problems, from shallow inconveniences all the way down to deep architectural issues. If you ever wonder why proprietary software doesn’t work better, or why it doesn’t align more with what you want it to do… it’s because that’s not what it’s about. That’s not its primary purpose.

But with free software, things mostly just work. And when a thing doesn’t work as desired, it’s not because a corporation is trying to extort money or control from its users… it’s just because nobody has fixed it yet. Because the authors tend to be volunteers who can’t afford to work on it as much as they would like.

… {which billionares are good/bad} …

There is no such thing as a good billionaire. The term “billionaire philanthropist” is an oxymoron. A person does not become that rich by being charitable or by doing what is right. No human can perform enough valuable work in a lifetime to earn that much money; instead they can only get that much wealth by inheriting it, or extorting people, or otherwise taking money unethically from others. For a billionaire to exist, it is necessary for a whole lot of other people’s lives to be diminished, like being forced unjustly into poverty.

Some of the people discussed here are centi-billionaires, with over 100 billion planetary wealth units. It’s almost easier to use trillions as the unit of measurement… the same unit that is normally used when discussing entire nations.

As an example, a while back, there was some news about how Bezos had a good week. Not his company, but like, him personally. He increased his wealth that week by enough that, if he wanted, he could nearly double the median wage of all his workers at Amazon. This would have raised half a million people out of poverty.

But when an interviewer asked him what he was going to do with all that money, he just said something like… I dunno, maybe go to space or something? And then he did. He built that famously penis-shaped rocket and went to space for a vanity joyride, instead of greatly improving the quality of life for half a million of his own employees who are literally in poverty because he refuses to pay them a living wage.

That kind of mindset is the norm for ultra-rich people. Anyone with a sense of ethics or empathy or social responsibility wouldn’t hoard resources like that, because they couldn’t sleep at night knowing that their pile of gold is only possible by causing great harm to a ton of other people.

8 Thanks

Paradise video card. My first real video card. No acceleration but still way better than Hercules.

1 Thank

As for Bill Gates being evil, what I have allwsys said was this. You can make few hundrds thousand or couple million honestly from your business, but amassing 100 billion in wealth absolutely cannot be done honestly.

We say Amazon is great because they employ so many people but don’t forget they put million out of business. Granted some trade practices were fair but many weren’t. His yacht alone is 500 million and they thew in a gorgeous woman to hang out with him because you cant be the richest man on the planet in that yacht alone.

2 Thanks

:fist:

1 Thank

Isn’t Apple hardware throwaway, unfixable crap those days?

If we only talk about laptops, look at the repairability scores of the Apple MacBooks…

also iPhones

Add me to the “Linux-on-ten-plus-year-old-PC-hardware” crowd :smiley:

1 Thank

Mine was a SiS 6326. It was in a whitebox computer assembled in a local computer shop with an AMD processor back when AMD CPUs were so unknown that they were still described as “Intel clones”. The one I had was known as an i586 because it was in-between an i486 and Intel’s hot new i686. It’s ironic that nowadays the “AMD64” label is often used to indicate that software is compiled for a generic “PC”.
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/
But going back to the SiS 6326, that was back before the current Nvidia / Radeon duopoly. However it was definitely not good, even back then. I distinctly remember the model number because of all the times I had to search for solutions and muck about in the Linux system configuration to make it work. The XFree86 driver for it was so bad that the whole graphical environment crashed even more often than Windows 98SE crashed on the same hardware, so I never got to experience Linux’s famed stability until Ubuntu 4.10 which somehow magically fixed the stability issues on that hardware.

That’s the impression I get. Although frankly I would personally prefer a device that doesn’t need fixing and has a very low percentage of DOA units. Even if it wasn’t upgradable I would still go for it as long as I could get lots of capability for the price and then use it for a very long time (like 15+ years) with no major hardware failure and while still receiving official OS support.

1 Thank

Same here. I had a bunch of old Windows 7 computers that were worthless but serviceable. They are warriors with Linux Mint. I love the easy updates and security.

1 Thank

All is unrepairable, correct. Nvme soldered in, battery glued in, screws are Apple security screws. On the new models you cant even buy replacement parts on ebay because they have unique firmware on the screen etc.

1 Thank

After the Paradise I got the Diamond Stealth S3 based card. Competed with the much more expensive 3DFX. Here we are 35 years later still buying accelerated video cards. My latest: Nvidia 4070 Founders Edition.

1 Thank

My first video card (in my first PC) was the repulsive CGA, total crap as @Lightbringer has already exposed. A few years later (IIRC after I had upgraded to a 286 machine) I got an EGAWonder from ATI and an acquaintance provided me with a discarded Hercules monitor (the EGAWonder managed to render EGA resolution images on the Hercules monitor – using shades of gray of course, but a hell of a lot better than the normal Hercules, and the best I could afford at the time). It served me well for quite a while…

A few years later (I already had a 486) I managed to get a Samsung Syncmaster monitor (real color!) and got my first “SuperVGA” card, and was very very happy with the result (Wing Commander rendered much better and 1024x768 (IIRC) looked like infinite resolution.

My first accelerated video card was a 3dfx Voodoo Banshee, just before the turn of the century, and still remember the impact it had on games that could use acceleration (not many at the time, but I remember Quake specially).

From then to today, been using one NVidia or another – the latest being a P5000 that came in my current laptop.

Yes Quake, wonderful game.

1 Thank

I use PC, because software I need is not on macOS. As simple as that.
Otherwise I would use PC anyway hahaha

I’m another Linux user, been using it since about the year 2000. My current daily driver is a fanless Raspberry Pi 4 with an M.2 hard drive. It does everything I need.

4 Thanks

Wow, daily driving it? Impressive. What Linux flavor and desktop environment?

I like really light weight environments. For the Pi I am using the standard RPi64 OS (Debian Based), but instead of the default desktop environment I am only using Openbox with the Tint2 taskbar. I am basically a Debian guy, but on my laptop I’ve been using antiX for the last few years. It is configured much like what I would do to Debain anyway so it just saves me some work. AntiX is based on Debian, so everything is very familiar.

2 Thanks

Also a Debian guy here.
In my experience on limited hardware the browser has always been the heaviest element. What browser are you using? How does it perform on JS-heavy sites like this one?

1 Thank