Does anyone have a detailed imformation of ledlenser?

I accidentally saw ledlenser’s flashlight on the Internet ,and the products on their website look very cool ,but nowadays there are few discussions about this brand ,why?

Led Lenser are almost all zoom flashlights which 95% of the users here on BLF shy away from .The lights typically run on primary batteries which is also somewhat of a negative. I imagine the reason is they want to sell in stores and they would not be allowed to sell lights running unprotected ;lithium batteries in stores.

They are expensive lights, typically with low performance and varying quality.
Some are reputed to have very good optics, the industry benchmark. I believe this is literally the only reason why one would consider buying a Led Lenser.

I purchased one for that reason…but it turned out that at the size considered (AAA) the lens is junk. And the overall quality is junk as well, that $40 Led Lenser P16 AFS P turned out much worse than $3 Skywolfeye B16.
So if you’re into it, surely consider a Led Lenser, but first make sure that the optics of the actual model that you want to buy meets your objectives.

What country are you in and what models are you looking at?

They aren’t particularly bad lights. And sometimes something like the P7 can be had for ok’ish money. But as a rule they under perform compared to other lights of similar money.

The flood to throw zooming is a bit of a novelty, but one you may want to try out. I generally find them a bit compromised overall in actual use as often you need a blend of throw and flood if outside.

I would say I do generally prefer the TIR optics to the aspheric lenses found on other zooming lights.

Most Lenser lights also use AA or AAA batteries, which can be good for a non enthusiast. But mean the performance and runtimes don’t match other lights.

If you want a zooming light, I’d check these out:
https://ylplight.com/en/katalog/1/falcon-f15/

The appear to fix most of the issues the Lensers suffer from in terms of spec.

I have one on order, but Covid is causing shipping delays :frowning:

Also, from my understanding, Led Lenser was the evolution of the Leatherman flashlights. Up until recently, Leatherman owned Led Lenser.

https://gearjunkie.com/ledlenser-usa-launch

https://www.snewsnet.com/press-release/leatherman

What do you mean by “evolution of the Leatherman flashlights”?

Leatherman used to make flashlights and then they invested in Led Lenser to increase market share. This is the way it was explained to me by Leatherman management approximately 20 years ago. That’s what I meant.

And that was what I was looking to understand, as they emerged and different brands.
https://www.ledlenser.com/en/our-company/about-us/our-history/

So they became “one” (although with the different names), and now got split again.
Thanks for the explanation.

As for the opinion about Led Lenser, I always liked the idea of their zooming system, although some frailties have been referred before.
I would add that in one of my favourite models (P7.2), which I don’t own, the UI is not that great…

IMHO, they are under rated. (No Offence) but if I was in a bind, I would take a Led Lenser over an FW3A. I have half dozen of each. The FW3A is a real hot rod of a flashlight but of you want something that wont overheat in 30 seconds, the Led Lenser is the preferred choice.

When you goto their website and look at their specifications to find out what LED they are using… it just says EXTREME LED
Yea f- this dumb ass company

Note that it has a very stiff zooming mechanism. If you love zoomies for how the focus can follow your eyes - this one will lag behind. And it you try to move it as fast as you can so it lags less - it requires a lot of force.

OTOH if you don’t care about zooming speed it may be a very good choice.

I use a lot of Led Lensers.
They have the best focusing system.

A lot of people don’t buy them because they’re expensive and have limited features like UI, waterproofing, battery type, etc.

In my opinion, Led Lenser lights are not so reliable while very expensive so not the best deal.
Their optics are very good thou.

I am a caver so put the lights in a very harmful environment (dust, water, mud etc.). Never owned a Led Lenser but some of my friends did and I already had to fix 3 lights for them (one light I had to fix twice).

I also had a very bad experience with the costumer service. I have contacted them in order to buy spare parts to fix one of the lights and they refused to sell me, they also didnt want to provide a wiring diagram or any information that could help me fix it by myself.

So INHO it does not worth the money unless you really need the zoom option

1 Thank

Most companies do not sell spares or provide wiring diagrams either. Not really sure you can knock them for that. I very much doubt Olight, Nitecore, Zebralight, Fenix etc would be any different.

Led Lenser do have warranties and a customer service to back it up. They happily sent me out a brand new battery holder and assembly switch free of charge. I didn’t need provide any evidence or proof of purchase.

Let’s be clear, we are enthusiasts and as such not the ideal customer for Led Lenser. Only an enthusiast would want to know which Led it uses.

Maybe, but at about the same time I also had to fix an Imalent torch and they happily sent me spare parts (not for free). Convoy are also selling spare parts on Aliexpress...

Ledlenser’s latest generation of lights is a big improvement - mostly li-ion powered, better UI, some with high-CRI, no PWM. However they are still crazily overpriced.

Thank you for your reply, it is true that the zoom flashlight will have many problems. I once had a fenix FD65, which has a similar tir zoom structure, but the experience is not very good.

That’s really not a good buying experience, thank you for your suggestions.

Enthusiast has nothing to do with it.

Some guy just wants to drive a car, check manufacture website under engine details you won’t see something dumb like “Ultra mekka hi power engine”

It’s clear they expect their customers to be morons, yes.