Does anyone still use SST20?

What color temperatures did you measure from Hanks FA3? In my starting post I told I measured warmer temps than they should be with my amateur Opple.

What are you using for photography? Im still searchinf for the perfect mule emitter without the tint shift.

MT-G2?

Old, but still a thing of beauty.

I have a couple Fireflies NOV-Mu which use 21x E21A 4500K in a mule array with a 6A buck driver. It creates a very soft light when bounced off a wall or used with an umbrella. There is no angular tint shift and very slight pink tint shift at full direct drive turbo.

Unfortunately, they are unavailable at the moment. They do have a similar model (PL09MU) which uses nine emitters in a mule array with a FET driver. There are several emitter choices but no E21A 4500K.

519A

How do the lights handle heat at higher levels?

I have no idea where people are actually finding these mythic 519a leds.

I checked Eurekatronix and they only have one flux bin in stock. And even worse, their coding doesn’t make sense to me so I have no idea what color temperature the one they have in stock actually is.

And nobody else seems to carry bare 519a leds.

So yes… I still use SST-20, since I can’t actually find this mythical alternative.

Convoy flashlight store has all high cri CCT’s available. That’s probably easiest place to buy them.

Azhu, Convoy, Kaidomain and Emisar have some.

Found the link to Convoy’s selection of 519a and thinking of placing an order.

Questions:

• How do these compare in output to LH351D and SST20 in terms of output and lux? 30% brighter than 219B does not inspire much confidence considering how dim I find 219B to be.
  • How many amps can 519a take? Will they burn out if used in an 18650 light with FET driver and high-drain cell like VTC6? What about in a triple like an FW3A with Anduril 2 at max possible 150/150 FET?

I have a Sekonic C-800-U and I can take measurements for you. I don’t have my light at the moment (it’s out getting a new cerakote). Anyhow I de believe it is slightly warmer than 4000K. Probably 38000K from memory, but the tint is what I was mainly concerned with. Neutral to below DUV across the ramp range.

Thanks. I was just wondering what bin I have received from Hank, if MTN Electronics FA3 showed 3900+K, Simons FD2 3800+K and then Hanks was ~3700K and he told me it was FA3, which should be cooler.

The SST-20 is good for compact throwers, but for illumination and night photography the green tint at lower power levels means there are better options.

As I was explaining earlier, the bin I got from hank isn’t green at all. When I get my light back I’ll post some Sekonic results.

Comparing 219b sw45 and sw35 to the only sst20 I brought- a wurkkos wk02- the sst20 does seem to illuminate outdoors better. Better contrast between objects like trees and such with less eye strain. Sure it’s not as pretty indoors but I gotta say it does remain my favorite emitter for actual use. Looking forward to a couple 519a projects to compare that with later.

The SST-20 seems to be one of the more ‘direct drive’ friendly LEDs, which is a plus. The tint lottery and green moons are unfortunate.

I used to like them, but since I don’t reflow my own, I’m at the mercy of manufacturers. I like my IF25A, but after the Wurkkos TS21, I don’t plan to buy any more SST-20s. I like the GT FC40, 519A, and B35AM way too much to risk getting more puke-green SST-20s.

I agree, the SST-20 4000K FB4 from Convoy is the best so far (edit: Of the LEDs I experimented with, I’ve only got the SST-20 in FB4, not in other tints such as FA3, FD2): the sw45k doesn’t give enough contrast between yellow/green in grass, i.e. not enough emphasis on green, soil is very dark, with the SST-20 soil is a bit brighter, yellow stands out more.

It is also better than the 519A 4500K (which looks more somewhere in the middle between sw45k and SST-20 4000K) which has same issues as the sw45k, just slightly less, and the 519A 4000K which has good contrast for yellow-green but soil is a bit too light brown, and it looks too yellow on tiles in the garden. The SST-20 doesn’t give this impression at all.

It looks good to me everywhere, not greenish, good colour rendition, everything looks more ‘pleasant’ with the SST-20 4000K than 519A 4500K and sw45k. The 519A 4000K (which appears warmer than the SST-20 400K FB4) is also ‘pleasant’ in use when it is dark but that light is not optimal outside in nature. The SST-20 4000K FB4 looks a bit yellowish on white walls as all 4000K light sources do, but that is not bad, and it is actually more pleasant in use when it is dark to have 4000K vs 4500K (the latter as in the sw45k).

So as I’ve not found the 519A to be able to replace the SST-20 4000K, which I wanted for the SC31pro as there using the SST-20 is risky depending on cell as it might burn out running on turbo:

I could disable turbo but perhaps another option is a triple. What do people use in S2+ triples? Does any supplier offer SST-20 triples that can fit in the SC31pro (18mm MCPCB would just fit)? Or would it be needed to file down a 20mm board? I saw one such 20mm board on Kaidomain, and what about optics?

Dedomed 5700k 519As replaced SST20 4000ks with 804 on my ROT66, and now I use them in a KR4.

I have a comparison of Dedomed 519As vs unfiltered FD2 binned SST20 4000ks here:

1 Thank