Does Vinh operate at a level beyond most of us mere mortals?

He could cook eggs with that in seconds haha

Wow, some of the comments here.

A 6000 lumen RC40 that puts out 40K lumens. This is supposed to be a modders forum, no?

I clearly don’t understand how things work around here.

Vinh has done so many different builds that perhaps he’s running out of “new territory” to conquer :open_mouth: What sets him apart from most (other than having the needed time and $$:money_mouth_face: is his understanding of the subject matter and his relentless pursuit of getting as close to perfect as is humanly possible. That trait is rare and while it can be learned, it does best when it’s inherent.

Vinh would make an excellent top-level Trim Carpenter if he were so inclined. The standard there is similar- you keep at it until it is the very best you are capable of doing with no other considerations. Of the hundreds of Trim Carpenters I’ve met, there have been about 4 I’ve known like that where everything is perfect no matter how closely you look. I can reach that level myself but I usually don’t since there are so few willing to spend the money it takes to get that kind of work and I have to make a profit to pay the bills :wink:

There’s a special satisfaction in knowing that the work you’ve done can’t be bested by anyone else though, so you get it when and where you can just because you can :sunglasses: And Vinh can :+1:

Phil

Dang, I read every post and have to agree with you ‘hangar’.
I guess I don’t understand either……. :frowning:

It has something to do with the divine status that Vinh has at CPF, over here folks are more down-to-earth and some like to downplay his achievements, perhaps a bit too much?

It’s cool, the output is amazing. I think a lot of the comments are reacting to the thread title as much as the light itself. I know I did. Many people act like vinh is a god and it gets a little annoying sometimes.

We are lucky to have our very own BLF output God btw :slight_smile: : hey Dale, game’s on, wanna do 50Klumen ?

I have nothing to do with 40K lumen
just bought about 10 100W Chinese LED on eBay, some Boost circuit, one or two LIPO battery, connect each other, and TA DA, we have a monster” FlashLight”

This was the point of the Q8 in the first of times. But that was before high CRI high output, and before array lights. Now with XHP70 3000K 90cri (or 4000K) a light like this is very possible, but at the same time with great color retention, and not just a blue wall of light making everything hard to see. I was really expecting a better light color to come out of that beast. To be like sunlight, and not blue haze.

All you need are 12 XHP70 3000K cri90+ to make a decent light with 3500lmx12 to make a proper 40000lm light that can actually be used and be impressive at the same time. To make sunlight at night. No battery needed, just clamps for car battery.

It’s impressive for sure. But, I wonder about how safe this is. I’m not sure where Vin is from, but I’m guessing it’s not the U.S. Otherwise, he’d likely risk a nasty lawsuit.

Seattle.

Lawsuit why?

Oh, okay. Well, if his light ends up burning someone, or the batteries exploding, he could end up getting sued into the stone age. McDonald’s coffee is a lot less dangerous, but they still got sued for it.

Mcd case was not as simple as internet thinks, there were good reasons why judge awarded the victim with that much, (she actually was not even asking that much).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v.\_McDonald’s_Restaurants

as for vihn, he does say this;

All my lights are OK to run until the hottest part of the light get to hot to touch bare hand. Warnings will be added to post 1 of sale thread for exceptions.
Do not run any of my lights unattended. Doesn’t matter which modes you are in. If you plan to run my light unattended please buy a stock light instead.
Do not allow kids or someone uniformed to use my lights. This is an example of operating my lights unattended.
You must monitor heat with your hand while running my lights. If the light becomes uncomfortably hot to hold at the hottest area usually around the head you must turn down 1 or more levels or Off for it to cool down.
No CR123A in any of my lights. Unless I say it’s OK. If you are unsure what batteries are OK email me.

Yeah, it’s fine to say all that, but it won’t stop a lawsuit if a battery explodes due to excessive current, and someone thinks he didn’t design enough safety features in this light to prevent injury. I’m not saying it’s likely that will happen with this light, but it’s a much bigger risk in a light like this than a stock light from Nitecore or some other large company.

That said, he probably isn’t big enough to make a lawsuit worth it, especially if he protected himself with a legal company framework that would take all the risk (and not himself personally).

I’m just wondering whether lights like this are a good idea, even if they do have a big wow factor. I’m assuming that a light like this doesn’t work with protected cells, but maybe I’m wrong.

Did he say he would be selling this light? Sometimes he builds nuts stuff just for himself to show off.

I think it would be hard for someone to win a case against him if they tried, I see no way of someone buying one of his lights without knowing the risks and proceeding of their own volition.

He sold out all 5 in minutes, lol

Well, he did say in his video comments, to email him for pricing. So, I presume he intends to sell it. Way out of my budget, though. “If you have to ask the price, you can’t afford it.”

That’s why I say it’s more of a risk if he lives the U.S., the lawsuit-happy country of the world. Still, there could be real risks with running lithium-ion cells that hard, especially in an enclosed tube that is bound to get very hot just from normal use.

I’m not sure if the U.S. has laws requiring safety certificates for things you manufacture, but if he’s making stuff outside these regulations, that could be trouble if something goes wrong.

OK, thank you for the explanation guys. :+1:

Yeah ‘djozz’, to me, some of it (not all) does seem a “bit too much”. Especially, if like ‘pd68’ mentioned; the comments are in reaction to a ‘thread title’ that someone else posted.
But hey, those are simply my thoughts. I was just wondering and I appreciate you guys giving me the 411. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Yeah, sorry. I meant it more tongue-in-cheek than putting him on a pedestal.

He does good work, and by “mere mortals” I didn’t mean folk like you, Dale, OL, etc., but folks like me. I can solder, but I can’t do what he does.

Maybe it’s the fact that he can do what he does because he has the money and resources rather than being a non “mere mortal”?
Cramming a bunch of LEDs into a large head isn’t something amazing or impossible.
As I said, the driver he designed for it is impressive, the fact he got to 40k lumens by just adding more LEDs is not.

It’s a flashlight mod, it’s not a custom build, it’s not an innovation, it’s not magic, it’s just going over the top as he usually does because that’s what people like, that’s all.
Nothing wrong with that.