DQG 18650 Tiny4 Triple

I’m not sure if there is any interest in this type of mod now that Lumitop make the edc18 but I’ve got it to work and wanted to share :), who knows it may help/inspire others to try as well?

We all know the Tiny4’s short comings, funky UI, fault prone switch and limited output being chief among them.
Thanks to Firelight2 and Dutcheee we also know the answer, new driver and triple! Yes there is still the very limited mass to handle the heat but if you put that aside you still have the smallest 18650 touch/flashlight around.
With this in mind a couple of years ago :person_facepalming: I started on my own build. I was able to buy a host direct from DQG that was a start!
Lots of reading later I came across the fact that Ledil optics make a triple lens that’s a direct fit in the Tiny4 bezel.
Next problem was finding a good driver at a reasonable price which isn’t always easy because of the cost of postage to Australia. Turns out Lexel was the answer with a 17mm driver flashed with the then new Anduril.
The project then sat on the shelf for a number of months waiting for me.
Fast forward to six weeks ago and I decided to give assembling a shot and this is where the photos start.

This is the”driver pill” it started life as a 20mm or ¾ copper pipe flare that I flattened down.

This makes both a ring around the driver that is held in place by the body as well as spacing the body back a little to allow for the thicker driver.

It also allowed me to make a shelf for the switch.

The switch is 3mm×3mm salvaged from a car radio.
Obviously the next step is soldering up the switch adding led wires and soldering the driver into the pill.
Here I had to call in a friend for help because I’m poor on the iron and he’s a electronic repair man by trade.

This is where the fun started, took a bit but we made a positive terminal on the driver.
No room for springs in the Tiny4 but this isn’t as bad now with Anduril’s blink to tell you the battery is connected. Problem was the solder flowed across onto a couple of the chip legs.
Try as we might the switch wires were to big to bend enough to allow everything to sit right, end result we gave up and called it a night.
Sorry no pictures but we all know what failure looks like :weary:
In the light of day I set about fixing my problems. I scrapped away the excess solder until the DMM said they weren’t connected.
Found some smaller wire and armed with a bit more soldering knowledge had another go myself and had a win!
The ledil optic is about 2mm shorter then the old optic, I decided to run a spacer instead of a glass lens because I’m more worried about over heating then scratching the lens.
A old aluminium pot supplied the aluminium for a spacer and lots of filing later I had this.

Assembled the whole thing clicked the switch and……………………… nothing!!
Out with the DMM and no power anywhere, pulled it apart to find the negative terminal wasn’t making contact.
Take two, clicked the switch……………….nothing!!
DMM again got power so tried the switch again, held down and boom high beam that’s a start :+1:
Things weren’t right however, half of the functions didn’t work, lower powers didn’t work??
Posted up a question a got help from JasonWW (thank you very much) looked like a driver problem. Swapped over the driver for the other one I had, seemed a faster and easier answer then trying to fix the old one!
Assembled it all again, clicked the switch again……………………….nothing!!
Right around now that edc18 was looking good :beer:
Took a couple of days to cool down again and try some fault finding. Hooked up a Jaxman e2l triple led I had lying around on a couple of wire outside of the torch body and it worked. Tried the same thing with Noctigon triple and still not right. One a side note it tried it on turbo :smiling_imp: made about 10 sec before it de-soldered itself. So I’ve decided the problem must be in the Noctigon led?? and have assembled it with the Jaxman. I’ll look into getting another Noctigon but am a bit worried about over heating at least with the Jaxman it heats up slower.
If you read this far, thank you, hopefully this has been of some interest :+1:

Nice to see another take on such build. :slight_smile:

Yeh, I liked the size of host/battery ratio of this light. I sold the couple I had.

Really cool reading your thread. It’s unfortunate but at the same time comforting to knowing serial errors happen to other people too :zipper_mouth_face:

Hope you get it worked out :beer:

I like how you made a spacer out of an old aluminum pot! Nice work. Hopefully you can get this figured out.