Driver or emitter problem?

A few months ago I modded an UF V6-T60 and installed a 3A lo-mid-hi driver from kaydomain. Today all three modes work but they are very faint, high mode now is as bright as low mode used to be. Swapped batteries of course and the problem remains. Does it sound to be a driver problem or the emitter? Wondering what to try next, or if I need to order a new driver (or emitter)...

i’m not the mod-expert here, but I would think that troubleshooting 101 will be to check your soldering and/or wire size.
next up would be whether this is a spring contact type, make sure it’s not been compressed somehow. if the spring is ok, and it worked well at first then i’d lean to a bad solder point as the culprit.

other than that maybe it’s possible the led couldn’t handle the 3A driver?

Which driver is it? IF this is a 7135 based driver you may have fried the 7135’s on the driver. I’ve cooked a few and that’s what happens.

It is 7135 based... how can I check with my DMM if they are fried?

If you short the output pad to the ground ring it will bypass the 7135’s making it direct drive. Bright = fried 7135’s, dim = fried led.

Rufusbduck,

I assume you’re saying short the LED - pad to the ground ring to provide direct drive and not the LED + pad right?

Yes, it’s confusing but the common practice is to call the led- pad the output pad and the led+ pad the input pad. Sound like you understand but you can reference this thread if unsure. Good luck.

Now that you mention it I have seen the - pad referred to as the output but forgot about that.

I have a few KD 7135 drivers that I killed by adding chips, I’ll give this a try just to check it out.

Thanks

Funny thing happened... while on, I barely unscrewed the pill, and all modes came back to their normal brightness! Modes were stuck somehow on lower current???

It sounds like you may have a short somewhere. I’m not familiar with the light but I’d take a careful look at the driver for shorts to the body and emitter for shorts to the reflector.

At least it looks like your driver and LED are ok.

Bad ground path?

-Garry

Led solder pads may be shorting to reflector. Are you using an isolation disc?