Dry 3 x XM-L T4 7C. Coming Soon : T5 Neutral White

No i received the 4-mode yesterday with a faulty battery carrier so couldn't test it out yet. But as I'm a student on a very low budget i waited and waited ordering and 2 weeks after doing so a 5-mode comes out and here I am now with 4-mode... I didn't like the 3-mode because of the high output modes only, but LMHTurbo that's just perfect. I don't care about other lights that come out and are brighter but i just wish i had bought this one, the most powerful and versatile option in the DRY package... :s. If i should order now i would almost definitely buy a 5-mode CW (although i first should check out the NW tint i have if i receive my replacement carrier). But i just can't buy another DRY, should sell my 4-mode or do a trade off. I waited and didn't buy skyray = good, but apparently ordered this one too fast to... Guess 4-mode won't be that 'bad' but still it kinda s***s, changing driver is no option with my lack of knowledge/equipment.

Now I got what you mean.

Yeah the 5 Mode driver seems the best so far for me too. I also didn't like the 3 Mode driver and went for the 4 Mode.

Now I'm thinking.... :)

EDIT: Leaving the driver business aside, you still got a humongous amount of light. In two years LEDs will be more efficient, you'll want something else by then.

Ye ofcourse but i just like the DRY package sooo much that it's a shame i don't have it maxed out now, just because i just didn't wait long enough. Other lights/leds/... is different that i can live with much easier :).

Just to confirm, is a single UCL 54mm*1.85mm ok to use and won't cause rattling, or do you need to use 2 lens together (ie. UCL 54mm*1.85mm and FF -P99 54mm*1.60mm) to make sure there is no rattle because the original lens is 3mm thick?

The original glass lens on my DRY is 2.5mm thick and 55mm in diameter. I've measured it with my digital caliper.

Changing the driver would increase output by 400-500 lumen right? so my question is how much does a driver cost? If i could find a relative/neighbour around who does has the technical skills/equipment it might be a possibility, although i have no idea who that could be. Just don't want to mess up my light in my pursuit for brightness... :)

Rod911, there is some very very minor rattling with the UCL 54mm x 1.86mm glass, you'd not notice till you shake the light, so will need an additional O-ring.

Scheven, a new driver is $5.

Other option was selling mine (once received replacement carrier) and buy a new one. But 5$ would be more convenient if i'd find someone who could change it without screwing up the light :d, i managed to get the lens out but the entire reflector part is fit very tight so i won't risk it.

Thanks.

Checked out flashlightlens.com for the lens in question and they do have them in stock. But I think I'll order it once they have lens for the Solarforce lights available again so I can make the one order.

BTW, is anyone aware of any places to get o-rings? I managed to find this place

and will probably buy from them once I get the lens order sorted out.

How do you access the driver? By de-soldering the back of the bezel?

L-M-H Strobe, then Turbo . If you want to access Turbo it's not going to be that fun.

Hi SA,

You need a pair of needlenose or chainnose pliers to unscrew the retaining ring at the rear of the head.

The driver and wires will be accessible at this point. Take a pic for reference before de-soldering, and you should be fine.

Maybe this post helps you a bit. https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/3212?page=1#comment-60936

Well, once i receive the replacement battery carrier and the light works fine, i'll probably order me a driver and ask a friend who did elektromechanica in highschool to replace it. So in order to change the driver the lens/reflector shouldn't been taken out if i'm right?

The pair of pliers has to be inserted then opened and used that way to unscrew the retaining ring from the inside?

your expertise is much appreciated

That's a strange choice of mode order :s, but i guess like with all the other lights i'll just have to click fast trough it or even better: i'll order the 5-mode and then there will be a revision that has LMHTstrobe so i can feel bad about it again :p, but first things first, gotta see if the lights works if i get my replacement carrier :)

I asked Ric about the mode order, and he said he wanted the Turbo mode last, to emphasize that it's for short-term use only. I would definitely prefer the strobe mode to come last though. Even if I use this light as a bike-light or helmet-light, I wouldn't mind clicking through the steady modes to reach the strobe. But as you guys have said, it is going to be annoying to click through the strobe mode to reach the Turbo mode. Especially for those people who will never use strobe.

Emphasis because it can't be used too long... Well makes sense in one way but i think if you are a bit responsible you just know that... I think I will not order one of these drivers until it gets changed because cycling through modes is a pain in the *** but cycling trough them in the middle of 'normal' modes is even more painful. And I'm 100% sure in a few weeks a driver with LMHTstrobe will come out as probably no one prefers LMHstrobeT

:) I tried suggesting to Ric that there would probably be quite a few of us who would prefer LMHTstrobe, but I didn't want to push too hard. Maybe if more of us requested that mode order he might change his mind?

I'll adress him if i see him on msn. I can understand him but this order doesn't make sense to me and i would be surprised if anyone prefers this order to the in my opinion logical order... Like you say, if enough people express their wishes about this driver I think he should change his mind, he is a smart salesman :)

I think this Turbo is a nice addition just to say: this is high (omgwtf), but i can still get higher (holymariejeezrofllmaocoptr). We are all wise enough not to use it for an extended period:

1) 2500-3000 lumen is probably 'too bright' anyway to use constantly

2) medium and high offer high output too so if you just remember when you are in Turbo/high so that you don't make the mistake of running turbo while thinking it's in high...

sent a mail to ask for any possibility of having this LMHTS order available