DRY driver on steroids

Yeah, I would sneak up on the resistors especially in an unknown combo like that.

I have a DRY driver on the way (supposedly, if anybody over there ever finds time to put the thing on an airplane - ordered mid December, been at "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" for around 3 weeks now), no idea which version it will be. The page still had the pics/description of the older one when I ordered, but before it 'shipped' (ahem...) the page changed to the new one.

Is normal the very same driver, draws only 2.6A (3 li-ions in series again) in a 3xXM-L2 setup, in another flashlight?
Which can be the reason of that difference?

With 3S and a 6V MT-G2 you had an extra cell's worth of voltage to work with, here you don't. Seems like this driver is going to be good for buck use only. I wonder if the new BTU is going to have a 4S configuration with 3 XM-L2s? That may make sense with this driver.

Ledsmoke, ryansoh3,
Probably it depends on what 18650 are used. My best ones for now are Samsung protected ICR18650-26f.
With the driver installed in the Trustfire TR-j19 flashlight, on 3 dedomed noctigon XML2`s I got a tailcap reading with the fully charged Samsung`s of 3,8A on turbo. I am still waiting for the 32650 trustfire`s to arrive.

ImA4Wheelr,
Thanks! Yes, it looks like you could shave 1mm from the new driver to fit the ZY-T08. I do not know what other lights will fit, but there is always a lathe and the possibility to machine a fitting ring :slight_smile:

Hikelite,
I am using the driver on XML2`s on noctigons, from what I know they are direct thermal path. Just for fun, I directly connected the 12v lead acid battery to the TR-J19 head and the increase of light output from high( 3,4A each led) to turbo (6,2A each led) was amazing.

18sixfifty,
Thanks, I am sure you will find good use for those little monsters :slight_smile:

ryansoh3,
It`s about the 85T03GH transistors, Flomotion provided the ebay link for them.link

zeremefico,
Nice work ! It would be nice if you could provide some details about what resistors do you stack, what values and witch one did you jumped(wire mod).

bibihang,
Yes, cooper braid on the springs makes a huge difference on direct drive and high current.

comfychair,
My Dry driver was shipped 2013-12-30, when ordered(2013-11-28) the page had the old driver pics. I just received the new 32mm version.

It’s really too bad that RIC stopped selling the original one now. I emailed him a couple of weeks ago, and he said he won’t have them anymore :).

I put one of them into one of these lights:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brown-CREE-XM-L-U2-LED-Flashlight-2000-LM-Torch-Lamp-Light-for-26650-18650-AAA-/140996579046?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item20d40d0ee6

with an MT-G2 and it works very well…

I just destoyed an MT-G2 with dry at turbo mode.
I used a Trusrfire X7 as a host.
For now, no dry & MT-G2, with 3 cells in series.

Thanks for the info borg, I thought the drivers were $1 each.

Sorry about your loss zeremefico!

I suspect it would work OK with 3 MTG2 in parallel, from 3 cells in series. The amps would be divided by 3, and the higher total load would pull the cells down to a lower voltage. Probably safest to try it first with some lower-drain ICR cells first before throwing the big boys at it...

The next project will be 3xMT-G2 shocker in series with a 7xXML driver, available in KD/Lightmalls (sku:M0613 If I remember correct).

Mission possible or impossible???

12 ! And has all that equipment and know how to use it , where are these techno savy kids coming from? I am jealous I have just learned which side is + & -, on 18650 ! Lol

Zeremefico wrote:

just destoyed an MT-G2 with dry at turbo mode.
I used a Trusrfire X7 as a host.
For now, no dry & MT-G2, with 3 cells in series.

So sorry to hear about you loss man. Thank you for reporting that. You just saved me and probable others from frying more MT-G2's.

When it fried, did it have any fireworks? Or did it just quit working?

Is the new style driver limited at all on turbo, does the resistor mod affect that mode too or just the high mode?

It started to change colour, it went bluish.
Now I can see a mark under the silicon dome. It still works but the light spot has a shadow in the middle.
This accident happent with the ptrvious gen of the driver, which wasn’t modded.
I will try to have some measurments with a modded & an unmodded new gen driver, the next days.

Would the dry driver work with an MT-G2 and 2S cells?

Both relic38 and I, did a build using an Ultrafire X8, that is a Trustfire X8 clone with a bigger driver ( 21mm v 19mm). Using a DRY driver and 2 x 18650 and very good low resistance batteries, got over 2000lm, real lumens not Chinese. Contact relic38 for details …

Planning a mag D build and picked up a driver from RMM.

Zeremefico wrote:

It started to change colour, it went bluish.
Now I can see a mark under the silicon dome. It still works but the light spot has a shadow in the middle.
This accident happent with the ptrvious gen of the driver, which wasn’t modded.
I will try to have some measurments with a modded & an unmodded new gen driver, the next days.

Do you think you had the emitter well heat sinked? I've received some with a gap between the emitter and Notigon base (The copper is not flush with the top of the MCPCB). I've noticed I get a bluish beam if I don't have a strong connection between the base and pill.

Another possibility could be some type of contaminate under the dome. Since the emitter is damaged, you may want to dedome and use alcohol to clean some of the burnt stuff off. I use a heat gun and pick off a much of the dome as possible without removing any phospher.

My last order had 2 pieces of MT-G2 which were as you described, with small gap under. I tried to reflow the first, without adding more solder and I noticed that bubbles of flux came right of the to points under the led. I imagined that there were enough solder under and I did not add more solder neither reflowed the second one.
I also received 2 xp-e2 on noctigons, one of these had a lot of solder and needed reflow, to take some amount away.