Duracell Goodness

Oddly enough, I find that the cheap generic cells which come with electronics… are often the most reliable cells, the least likely to leak. So I tend to keep those, and be wary of Duracells instead.

Maybe they were produced in a place which hasn’t banned mercury? I’m not sure. Regardless, they seem to last longer.

But mostly I just use Eneloops instead. I don’t buy alkalines… it seems pointless. But if some happen to show up, I try to use them before they go bad.

Never trust Alkalines. Never-ever put one in your beloved flashlight.

Indeed. This might actually be the proof Kirkland batteries are rebadged duracells as they seem to leak at a similar if not the same rate.
I had read somewhere that alkalines leak when they are empty, which is why you rarely ever get one leak in a clock that you change as soon as its empty.
So if it leakes before being used itself discharged then leaked. I have found this to be basically true.

Flashlight, never :joy:
Actually i use one to burn alkalines, an elderly relative gives me a bunch of half used batteries, remote wasn’t quite pointed at TV, battery must be dead, didn’t press switch fully on widget, must need new batteries. I get a bunch of half used batteries that have no use elsewhere (and most certainly not going in smoke detector) so before recycling they need burning.
That said i always try to use NiMH, chop saw laser, NiMH, remotes, NiMH, energy monitor, NiMH (even though it needs charging every month or two as it dies when the NiMH is about 75%.
I have been wary of putting Eneloop in the smoke detector, its probably fine but thats one use case where i don’t play games or gamble.
Also in the old days rechargeables could not keep consistent current going over months, though one time i tried a NiMH in a clock it worked for a while.

Anytime I have something that comes with AA batteries, they are usually cheap no name batteries, and they never leak. They run out of juice like they are supposed to and I replace them. Since Duracells and Energizers always leak for me, I tried the Amazon Basics AA batteries, and so far they have done well for me. I use them until they are empty and they haven’t leaked yet. Fingers crossed…

My understanding, from back when I was in the battery business, was that Energizer and Duracell were making the casings progressively thinner so they could compete on capacity/runtime metrics. Duracell ProCells are supposed to be much better. I even spoke to a guy who worked for one of the big three who said that Rayovac leaked less than Energizer and Duracells in their tests - though Rayovacs are now energizers.

Had a customer that ordered a special-build pack using three Panasonic alkaline cells. They insisted on the brand, even though the cost was over double. Maybe try panasonic alkalines?

1 Thank