Duracell Goodness

I thought I would post this picture of an approximately 25 year old unused Durcell. Still in the unopened package.

6 Thanks

Not unlike ‘social’ and ‘media’, ‘Duracell’ and ‘goodness’ are two words that should not appear next to each other.
:grin:

slmjim

1 Thank

It snows inside the package!!

I’ve had similar things happen to me too with Duracell and other brands. I assume it’s just a feature of alkaline batteries :face_exhaling:

Bunny cocaine

Sometimes you get lucky with those old AA’s. These were about 28yrs old when I tested them (still good).

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/found

Although i would not try it, I wonder what it tastes like.

Forget the taste, it will keep you going, going, and going!

Yay, an excuse to post this again! :innocent: :tada:

“Best used by 2024”, it said…

3 Thanks

Many years ago I modified a 2D Maglight for my daughter, who lived with her mother. I spent about $50 on a Black Diamond LED module and it worked nicely, she lived in the country and her and her mom used it daily. Until the Alkaleaks did their thing. Obviously, I could have transferred the (then) pricey modifications to a new light, but her mom threw it away. ( much like she did me on far too many occasions)

Are there any alkaline batteries that are at least less prone to this eventuality? I’ve suffered through the white fuzzies with the Kirkland AA’s that my wife insists on bringing home for years. Is this just an absolute certainty with alkalines?

I have some made in Japan Duraloops.
They’re basically Duracell branded Eneloops.
I think they’re really tough to find these days.
They’re really nice cells, but I cannot say the same about Duracell alkaleaks. :face_vomiting:

Duracell seems to be the worst for leaking.
I had read one source that says they recommend against Duracell in their products (i can’t remember where or i’d post a link).
You can try Energizer if you must use Alkalines.

Noe sure if anyone here does this but when i get any piece of electronics that comes with alkalines, brand new unopened, they go right in the garbage.

I’d take them off your hands.
I have a few things that require them, smoke detectors, energy monitor and so forth.
But i do put them in the battery container as soon as i open the new item.

I wonder if there is any type of anti-corrosion conductive goo that could be dabbed on the terminals before inserting in the appliance.

They are 25 cents each or even less if you buy bulk.

Not for Duracells or Energizer here in Canada.
I need to stock up on some Energizer for the smoke detector, my stash is almost gone.

Those were probably old enough to be just before the reduction-then-ban on added mercury to the cells. That mercury wasn’t much (on the per-cell level) but it served to greatly reduce the off gassing and thus the leaking. I think that was around 1995 or so? Then four or five years later they nixed it entirely and alkalines have been alkaleaks ever since.

I had pondered whether varnishing the seam/joins would help stop the leaks, but given I’ve switched to Eneloop/ikealoops for pretty much everything, it’s a non-issue for me now :stuck_out_tongue:

It tastes bitter.

In the 70th, I lost quite some toys to alkaleaks. Of course I had to taste it.