Duty fees to Canada for alkalines?

Unfortunately, I have to still use the AAA primaries in my meters (why can’t they get on the rechargeable Lithiums?) and of course those smoke detectors (9 V). Looking at bulk (sort of) from eBay and my best value is from Lithuania.

So my question is what kind of customs / brokerage fees am I looking at? Say some 30 to 50 $ purchase. This to Canada – sorry my American friends.

Looking at perhaps Maxell, 2nd choice are the Bunny’s (which seem to have dropped their mascot?)

Link in pics.

I’d save the hassle and go to Costco….sometimes a perceived bargain isn’t a bargain at all.

Estimate your duty and tax with the CBSA’s online tool (Category: Electronics, Product: Batteries):

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

PS. I ended up buying from Lithuania too when I got some Maxell LR44 button cell batteries on ebay. Made sure to ask about the expiration dates too. Turned out well.

@ Phouton:

I had stumbled on that tool but it seemed for travellers entering the country with declared goods. I saw no mention of shipped items.
Could you elaborate on the LR44 button cells? Did they (Canada Border Services) retain the items and send an email regarding duty fees?

I had a mishap with an order from ‘The 18650 Battery Store’ where the fees were not included in the checkout and requested by Customs. I had no previous problems with the store but on bulk quantities, they were subject to excise tax.

BTW I just so recently bought those cells from a Canadian store (link). 10 for $5.75, shipped and delivered within 5 days.

@Tumbleweed48:

I had looked over town for a better deal, but I hadn’t given Costco any thoughts. For one, don’t have a membership ($60). For two, I had a legal battle with them regarding the sale of defective or non-compliant items. After much legal and expert evaluations, expenses went quite high and had to counterclaim these. Out of court settlement, but I was still in the hole. Basically, they may buy shipments that aren’t cleared in the US or are non-compliant/defective and re-sold on the Canadian market. So some of their items are less than trustworthy. I also had previous tools that were meant for the US market and as such the warranty wasn’t honoured – grey market.

Basically, I down view Costco for deceitful product quality. As I had once mentioned in another post, my integrity has a price (> 10k$)

Anyways, I see a trend of the minimum selling price with all the stores for Duracell/Procell or Energizer/Industrial. Wouldn’t know if a cartel or part of a distribution agreement. The Maxwells were a reputable brand, but as most names are now bought out by the Chinese, this may not be the same standard I’ve known. I’m taking a chance with the LR44 button cells, being my investment is quite low.

That’s true that the duty estimating tool appears to be for travellers. I’m not sure if it would be different for shipped items.

My battery orders have been small, so I didn’t get hit with any duties. Even on (non-battery) orders above the duty-free limit ($20?) it often didn’t get charged. The exception is UPS and their duties and brokerage fees… I avoid them whenever humanly possible.

Those Maxell LR44s are exactly what I got, but amazingly it’s still cheaper from the Lithuanian seller I ordered from: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/253950686045 And yes, they’re made in China.

Hey, thanks for the quick response. Yesterday’s notifications weren’t turning up so I missed your response.

That would be the same fellow I’m about to order from. Quite inexpensive LR44s. And that was why I queried about the merchant. Too good a deal raises eyebrows.

It did seem too good, as other batches of button cell batteries I’ve previously ordered from China arrived with half of them dead. That’s why I looked specifically for the expiration dates.

Apparently I ordered in April 2020 and the ad specified expiration of 2021, but I received a pack with a 12-2022 expiration. Half are still unused and I just measured a couple at 1.57V and 1.59V.

They’re just being used in thermometers and calculators, so nothing critical. I’m just glad it wasn’t some old batch of mostly dead cells.

It’s not Maxell or Bunny but I do see quite a few selling the PKCELL at Ebay.ca so that brand might be something to consider too?

In my earliest quest for LiIons, the only supplier were PKCells. And then came the reality of this company.

1- They stated they shipped from Canada but in reality, they may ship from US – their discretion. This added shipping fees. Can’t remember the details; 3½ years ago.
2- Their LiIons are of the older chemistries or I should say conservative. 2600mAh for a 18650 cell is what I just so commented on (Concerning 18650 cells, at what point do you say OK, time to retire it?). They’re ok for the occasional EDC, not for the power-hungry lights. I don’t really use them.

I’m glad I got their 18350 cells as was just the right fit for my UV light (series).

But I’m tired of replacing expendable batteries, the lower capacity cells just exacerbate this.

So I have these UniT meters with auto shut-off. They are a pain as they die out while doing a reading. The timer starts when you first turn it on. But it does prolong the batteries. The BSide clamp meter has a ‘not auto-off’ start sequence. Then some of my other instruments also don’t shut off automatically. So I forget the tool and the day or two after is dead. Not much energy in these small AAA.

@ Photon;

Just so looked over the LR44 pack and doesn’t seem to have an expiration date. Measured the first one at 1.53 V so I’m assuming they’re still good.

Get this, I use these for my digital callipers, two Chinese models have an auto ON/Off function which is very handy. Another is an ‘Asian’ make (Asimeto) which would be German/American/Chinese. I leave it on for days and the battery never dies. I believe it goes into sleep mode with just enough current to carry the LCD – something akin to the Kindle. And the feel and performance rival Mitutoyo by a better margin, especially when comparing the prices.

Anyways, I’ll most probably purchase the AAA firstly and then order the 9V. Being less than the $20 threshold for duties, not as much as cheating the taxman but the trouble of dealing with customs.

Did you check the back for the expiration date?

Oh right, I use LR44 for digital calipers too. A “good enough” all metal one from China that recommends removing the battery when not used even though it has an auto-off feature. I didn’t bother because the battery door is held on by two screws… After 8 months it’s at 1.3V. Good to know about Asimeto.

As for the AAAs, why can’t the meters take rechargeable NiMH? They don’t work at ~1.2V ?

If not Costco then go to Ikea.

I just have a blank there. No markings. Hmm… Wonder if those eBay cells (Canadian seller) are old batch.

Ok. my calipers don’t work (rather I should say ‘blink’ and give me the “bat”) below 1.38 Volts. Had found Energizers at 8 for $10 but these were zinc/air. Never heard of this chemistry. Anyways was marked at 1.45 V but this batch was 1.36. Returned them and looked up some stats. Not very load capable.

Then the LADDAs (IKEA Eneloops) start at some 1.35 V but quickly drop to 1.28 V. That doesn’t work. Hell those NiMH cells don’t work in much other than one of my lights – a Sofirn SF14

Go away Bort.

Who put the bee in your bonnet?

You. Sorry just blanked out your feeds. Can’t see you nor hear you.

I don’t know what i did to earn your attitude.