Eagle Video Tutorials BLF Style

Thanks. Currently a 919 Hybrid though. Different kind of sexy :wink:

When creating a new library part is it possible to copy the footprint of another part and edit the schematic to change the pin functions?

Yes.

Copy the library file and obviously rename it so that it doesn't clash with the original. Then open the new library part in eagle. Before you can edit the part, you need to open the device (icon with the 4 pictures on it up near where the symbol and package icons are) and remove all associations. Basically when you created the part you would have linked the pins in the symbol, to the pads in the package. You need to kill these links before you can edit anything thing.

Once you've disconnected the pins and pads, you can then open the symbol (schematic) or package (pads) and edit to your hearts content. Then go back into the device section and re-associate everything.

If you only want to change one or two pads there's nothing stopping you from only removing the links of those particular pads and pins and leaving the rest all alone.

If you have not tried creating your own part yet I HIGHLY recommend you do so before you start editing existing parts. It'll make things much easier.

- Matt

or do what I did and search and search and search (and beg Mattaus for his .lbr files) and get more or less what you need :smiley:

I need some help guys, Iā€™ve got my first .sch drawn up and have the board mostly laid out, the problem Iā€™m stuck at is it wont let me GND the MCU pin or the CAP even tho its grounded in the sch (thereā€™s no little yellow line and when I click on trace then try to click the MCU GND pad or the other side of the CAP it doesnt let me.

Also why can I not see my files in windows / to attach to an email? Eagle can open them no problem but when I attempt to even just look at them in windows they simply arnt there.

Thanks guys!

Use the wire button right below the Route button, it gives a bit more flexibility but the ā€œunroutedā€ view will leave those stupid yellow lines

Ok that works, but why cant I see my files? I was gonna send them to you.

edit: Hmm, I can see them if I put them on the desktop but when I try to save them in the eagle projects folder (the eagle folder is in program_files) eagle can still open them but theyā€™re not visible in windows

umā€¦might be saving them someplace else

Do a search on your computer for .brd and.sch, might be saving them in libraries/documents/eagle

Or in the install directory where your eagle is, c:/program files/eagle/projects

check your email!

K got it manā€¦INTERESTING to say the leastā€¦PM inbound bro

I don't save any of my projects in the standard Eagle directories. Mainly because I used Dropbox (sort of automated backup) but also because it means I can have more understandable project directories.

That probably makes no sense.

How do I make a new board from the same schematic? When I click the ā€œgenerate / switch to boardā€ button it goes to the existing board but Iā€™m tryint to do a whole new board (in a different size).

Copy the schematic to an empty directory, or delete the .brd file of the existing board. I also close eagle before opening it again and attempting to create the new board...just in case it holds data of the old board.

Another question for ya. when Iā€™m using a library part that isnt mine and the pins arnt labeled how do I tell what pin is what in the schematic?

Iā€™m trying to use SOT23 FETā€™s and Iā€™m not sure how to tell what pin is what to wire it.

Iā€™m using a library part from warhawk thatā€™s originally a sparkfun part

Hmm....the only obvious way I can think of is to grab the datasheet for that part to make sure you're connecting to the right pin. Be aware that schematic symbols do not always visually match the PCB footprint, so you may have to connect a wire to a pin in the schematic, and then check that the trace goes to the pin you actually intended it on going to.

I'd consider editing the part to correctly label it first as well. It will save you a lot of messing around!

Thanks for all the answers so far (and for everything else)

Hereā€™s ANOTHER question,
I made a ATTiny85-20SU part and I forgot to label pin1 at first (went back and edited it tho) but after I edited the part it didnt update on the board, I had to delete the part from the .sch, re-switch to the board (so the part was now gone) switch back to the .sch and re-add the part (which now came up with my edited in pin marking), is there a better way to get the part on the board to reflect changes made to the library part without having to do all that?

I'm not the right person to answer that question because I do the same thing lol! What's happening is that you are effectively forcing an update. There might be a hot key or button?

Try this: http://www.eaglecentral.ca/forums/index.php/mv/msg/34019/117010/

eagle keeps giving me a pop-up, it wants me to d/l the new v7.0, has anyone let it update yet? I havent and Iā€™m hesitant to at first (I never let things update right at first) till any bug reports come out.

Does it work the same and will Mattusā€™ cam processor still work?

I just updated yesterday but havenā€™t delved into it yet. Just joined E14 today. Why the heck does Vishay list 8 million 0805 resistors in their library but no 70N02ā€™s? Iā€™d think you only need 1 set of 0805 pads for every 0805 resistor ever made. BTW and FWIMC the Data sheet for the LD2981 has a very nice sot-89 land pattern listed that includes the entire ground pad. See pg 20/27.

I haven't tried v7 yet but I'll load it up and let you know. I have a 70N02 library part.