Eagle Video Tutorials BLF Style

I could not find the LD2981 in the list of STMicroelectronics parts but the L78L05(also a positive voltage regulator) has the exact same land pattern as the 7135 and is listed.

Make sure the scales are the same. The footprint can look the same but the part can be smaller/larger.

In regards to v7 - you have to get it from cadsoft and it installs along side, not over, your old eagle installation. So you can try v7 without losing anything. From what I can see they are identical except v7 has newer looking icons. Most of the improvements are in regards to auto routing which we don't really need.

I have all 3; 7135, L78L05, LD2981, and they are all the same size sot-89 package with the same wedge shaped ground tab/pin and slightly wider center ground pin. The data sheet dimensions match those you listed in your 7135 video. The pin outs are also the same for the two positive voltage regulators. Left=Vout, center=gnd, right=Vin. If you’re looking for a ready made land pattern for the 7135, this might be it. Still need to rename the pins though.

I also have quite a few pre-made library parts that I am happy to share.

I’ve noticed that some land patterns have the exposed copper pads extending under the case even though the pins do not. Is this slop for pic/place machinery and is it necessary for hand soldered parts?

I have no definitive answer but I'd imagine it gives a bit of wiggle room for placement - either by hand or machine. Components also never come out identical from the factory so if you make the pads too tight you run the risk if a component not fitting.

No idea other than that sorry.

I noticed that when making my 85-20SU part, the pads were shorter than some of the preloaded AVR stuff but I went off the max measurements, I ended up extending them back towards the tdocu outline more than needed so it better matched other AVR chips.

On the original 17dd without the pad extended to a e-switch/star 3 I would actually mount the 13a all the way over to one side so I could have some extra pad sticking out to solder to.

When you update a library, Eagle will not automatically update the parts on your board. You have to use the UPDATE command to tell it to update the board.

Also, when you update Eagle to a new version, it keeps using the old libraries associated with your project. If you update a part in a library of the new version, it will still use the library in the folder of the older version.

I have slow ears so for others like me or just to have a printed version for reference This Tutorial was a pretty straight forward read covering the material in Matt’s 1st video in much the same fashion. For now I have it bookmarked in my BLF folder.

When you turn library components on in the main control panel how do you get it to default those to on so you dont have to do it every time?

Once you turn them on they should always be on. I've never had them turn off on me by default...

With projects like the nanjg boards, does it make sense to create a parts folder with everything for that type of board in it or would you just grab the first board file and copy the schematic to the new project?

I jsut copy old boards. That's why I often lose older projects because I accidentally saved over them :S

Whenever you do a SAVE in Eagle, it renames the old files and saves a new copy… all the old versions are still there…

Hm, mine turn off every time I exit the program, very annoying. After I turn them on every time I do a save all but it doesn’t help.

Yup spot on. Except then I forget about it and clean the directories out. I'm an idiot sometimes.

Hah! Baby steps for me but at least I’m up off my face for now. I think I succeeded in generating a library part for the Omten 1217 switch which I’ll be adding to the bottom of a triple 16650 2S3P carrier for a mag mod. The switch will be soldered to the bottom of the neg end pcb As with the BTU Shocker. The top end pcb will have both + and - pads for connecting to the driver.

Next noob question: What do I need in the lower battery board schematic besides the switch and what do you put in a schematic that has no parts like the top end pcb?

Nothing. You only put what you need. You can theoretically create a board with no schematic at all. I treat Eagle like Paint almost. If no parts are present you need to manually make your traces. You can do this with the 'wire' tool, or even using polygons, the poly command and so on. Run wild!

WEEEE!
edit- time for some sleep. :weary:

You can make library parts for simple stuff like spring/brass button pads, via’s and header pins, that way you have a sch file even for simple stuff like contact boards.

I have library parts for all that kind of stuff, PM me your email and I’ll send you my .lbr for that.