EagleEye X2R Mod and Discussion thread

No as the X2R has a solid head and bezel, so the base of the reflector is smaller

Thanks. It’s looking like there isn’t a smooth reflector that will work with the X2R.

Is there anyone out there willing to offer their services to mod my X2R?

Looking to have an XP-L HI put in at a minimum. Possibly the full board mod as well.

Edit-

Will this work in the X2R?

CREE XP-L HI V3 3C LED on Noctigon 16mm MCPCB

No. But 21mm TIR lens fits perfectly

Yes, that should work. Great tint and will work well in this light. So, good choice! Are you going to give modding it a try? If you’ve got an iron I would so go for it. Outherwise I’m sure someone here will swap it for you.

Ok good to know.

I’ll be experimenting with modding myself but I don’t want the X2R to my guinea pig, so I’ll be looking for someone to do this one for me.

You can always get the X5R which is available in xpl hi. I have both and the X5R is like an upgraded version of the X2R. More output, plus a forward clicky! It also has more of a SMO reflector. There is a tiny bit of texture, but the hot spot is very defined and the throw is noticably further.

If you want to build a custom driver though, you’d need to stick to the X2R as it’s a different design to the X5R.

The X5R looks like a nice light for sure and I’ll probably get one eventually, but I really like the size of the X2R and the single switch simplicity.

By size, you mean the length? Yeah, the X5R is about 3/4 inch longer. I honestly don’t notice the difference.

I tend to use my X5R on turbo almost exclusively so having a rear switch that is on/off only is more simple in my opinion. Turning it on briefly with a half press is a definite advantage.

Anyway, I have both right here if you wanna see a beam shot comparison or side by side length difference. Just let me know.

Do you currently have an X2R with a TIR? Interested in how it performs and looks.

Not sure I’d want to go that route though, I thought I read here about some pretty poor efficiency with a TIR which can be upwards of 20-30% in some cases, but I’m a novice on the subject. Would it not also cut down on the candela of an XP-L HI, negating the advantages of it?

Yes I was talking length. Given that I’m looking to carry the X2R in the course of my work the shorter length is a factor. But the X5R coming with smo and the emitter I want is certainly tempting.

A beam shot or any other pics of the two would be great.

Okay, it was hard to capture the reflector texture, but the X2R is real OP, the X5R is barely dimpled. It’s also deeper than the X2R. This makes the hotspot smaller, more defined and throw further. Both use xm-l2.

My X2R is neutral white and my X5R is cool white so that makes the X5R a bit brighter. The higher output of the X5R also adds to the brightness. It’s really in the distance where you see a big difference.

Thanks for posting the pics I appreciate it.

For long distance throw I already have my TN4A XP-L HI nw (which I use to spot addresses from the street in my work), so I’m not necessarily needing this light to be the especially powerful/throwy one, mostly a slightly tighter beam is what I’m after. I think an XP-L HI in either one (even with OP reflector) will more that suit my needs, which for this light will be short to medium distances. Given that any of these lights are overkill to be honest, I lean towards the more compact and streamlined X2R right now. Well, I already purchased it days ago, so I’ve gone past leaning :wink:

It looks like any Convoy s2+ with tir lens.

TIR lens is more efficiency than reflector. And you can choose different lens for any task.
My current favorite - flat 15° with “frozen” surface.

If you can use a soldering iron the change is pretty easy

Unsolder leads
Use a screw driver to lift the old board which is mounted with soft thermal glue
Remove all thermal glue from head
Apply a 2-3mm big blob of good thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5

For the LED Gasket there are 2 options
Get a XPL sized for Convoy S2
Or
Glue the XML2 one on the star

When you get another LED also a AR coated 21mm lens should be nice to gain about 9% output in the hotspot

I’m sure it’s easy and the process will become clear once you’ve done it one or two times, I’m just a little hesitant to make the X2R my test case, as I need to use it and work properly. I would rather purchase some throw away parts to learn on I think.

with coupon another X2R is less than 14$ add 2$ for AR lens, probably as expensive as shipping the light to someone to mod

Has anyone done a triple X2R yet? Will the head fit a 20mm MCPCB?

I’m assuming that a custom height spacer would be necessary.

triple wont fit without serius work with a Dremel or saw

the diameter of the head is about 18mm and thze MCPCB is about 10mm deep inside,
you may cut some 4-5mm off the threaded tube on the head might be enough for a spacer that is 18mm in diameter and gets to 16mm down where the star was, as the base is not flat
and grind some of the inner part where the legs of the optics sit
and grind the MCPCB down to

Anyone have a battery recommendation for the X2R?