EagleEye X2R Mod and Discussion thread

KD has the translucent caps
14mm(D) x 8mm(H) Silicone Tailcaps - Transparent ( 5 pcs )
Get some spare Real Omten 1288 switches from Mtn too.
Omten 1288 Small Reverse Clicky Switch

Whew, so 4 different stores, huh?

I guess it’s better than 5 or 6. Lol
Plus I’ve already got accounts at all of them.

Thanks for the help.
Now to order stuff.

The bleed resistor should take care of the memory problems but this is probably already known?

X3 says it works fine without bleeder resistor. Vwpieces, says memory doesn’t work.

It’s not too big a deal right now, so I’ll wait and see how it works.

I know on some drivers adding a bleeder resistor not only helps the driver work better, but also makes the tail leds brighter.

Are there any alternative firmwares available which work with the standard Eagle Eye X2R driver?

Great torch, but I would like to add a strobe mode for encouraging nefarious trespassers with homicidal intent (cats) to leave the garden. :rage:

Thanks.

you need to replace the driver for example with
a Biscotti AMC 7135 or
a Bisto driver
just for one with FET you need a DTP star

It’s usually impossible to reflash factory drivers. They can have some wierd designs and use weird mcu’s with the numbers scrapped off the components so other companies can’t copy their driver designs.

If you want to keep the charging circuit, you need to use the custom pcb Pilotdog68 made.

If you dont mind losing the charging circuit then there are plenty of other lights that will work or else you could do a driver swap like Lexel mentioned.

Or you could get the EE X5R. It has the same built in charging, but has 4 brightness levels and a hidden strobe. It’s a little fancier than the X2R.

Strobe doesn’t do anything to animals…

Thank you both for the information. The X2R is a gift for someone elderly, so I shall probably leave it as it is.

It really is a wonderful torch. Everyone should have one (or preferably three). Bought it for the convenience of the built-in charger as the recipient won’t remember where the battery charger is kept, or that they even have one. (Shame such a useful feature is so rare - perfect for travelling or keeping in a car.) Turned out to be brighter than expected considering the relatively low maximum current. Would be nice if they offered some other colours, something a bit harder to lose than black or grey. All things considered, I don’t think I’ll be buying another Convoy S series or similar again (until they add built-in charging via a micro USB socket).

I was going to order an X5R this afternoon, as there is a pretty big discount coupon for Gearbest. But at the current appalling exchange rate it came in at a few pence over the £15 duty-free limit. I don’t mind paying 20% VAT, but an £8 Royal Mail handling fee on a £15.03 order is unacceptable.

I shall tell that to the neighbour’s big tomcat, if I ever see it again. Introduced it to my Convoy C8 a couple of weeks ago in the middle of the night. :smiling_imp:

When I shine the torch at it, it did the usual cat thing of pretending to be all nonchalant. But when I switched to strobe mode it froze completely, arrogance turned to terror and looked like it was going to have an epileptic fit. Then it bolted and then ran behind a yew hedge, but I moved the beam to the other end before it got there. There were brief glimpses of a pair of reflective eyes running back and forth behind the hedge trying to escape the beam, before it too the only escape route left and ran off into the field. I was hoping it would end up in the pond, but it just avoided that fate by about two feet.

Another of the regular cats likes to hide in the end of the yew hedge. Shine a torch at it and you can spot its eyes easily, but being a cat it’s convinced that it is invisible. But put a high-output torch into strobe mode and… there is a chance this one may have actually had a fit. It didn’t run off, but after staring at the torch for a minute or so the shining eyes sort of keeled over. (Haven’t seen that one since either.)

Alas there is one cat so arrogant that the torch doesn’t work. Anyone know of an Argon laser which fits nicely in say a Convoy M1 host and runs off an 18650? :stuck_out_tongue: (If only…)

Is animal cruelty officially supported by this forum or can I consider this laser-cat related ideas rude ?
What is it about animal abuse that make people feel so strong ?

On this occasion attacking a cat with a laser is as real as a hobbyist fitting a high-power laser into a ~120x25mm tube and running it off an internal 3.7v lithium-ion cell.

As for my general policy towards cats, consider the Goldcrest, Blackbird, Yellowhammer, Brambling, Greenfinch, Coal Tit, Robin, Wren, Turtle Dove, Harvest Mouse, Wood Mouse, Shrew, Field Vole and many other inhabitants of my garden. Are they not animals worthy of equal consideration?

Indeed if one considers human-induced harm to animals to be immoral and cruel, then surely intentionally breeding and releasing a non-native carnivorous predator into the wild is the pinnacle of human cruelty to animals in general.

Ask a naturalist anywhere in the world with an interest in terrestrial birds and small mammals how they feel about domestic cats and I doubt that any would say strong. Powerless, depressed and futile are more likely answers. There are many threats to the natural world. But as an active threat to wild animals around the world the domestic cat surely ranks second only to Homo Sapiens.

In 1895, only a year after its discovery, the only flightless passerine ever known (the Stephens Island Wren of New Zealand) was hunted to extinction by the domestic cats brought to the island by the lighthouse keeper. And this is continuing to happen all over the world. In this country one once widespread species, the Scottish Wildcat, is heading towards global extinction (indeed it is doubtful how many of the remaining ones are true Scottish Wildcats and not hybrids). Again this is entirely due to the actions of man and the introduction of the domestic cat.

One could respond by arguing that domestic cats are just animals and it’s not their fault that they are predatory by instinct. That is true, and no animal deserves be treated with cruelty. But considering the long list of wild birds and mammals in this country whose populations have fallen by 70-90% in the last 40 years, maybe wild animals are worthy of higher consideration than domesticated ones.

In my case I added the lighted tail cap, but no bleeder, and the light works, but it has next mode memory.

Since I use this light in my car and infrequently, it’s not that big a deal.

Okay, I decided to add a bleeder resistor and I get 677 ohm between spring and body. It did make the tail cap lights a bit brighter, but unfortunately I still have next mode memory.

Maybe I need to try some different values? Maybe a 500 or a 1000?

Jason, I think it’s not 677ohm but 680ohm. 677ohm should be marked 6770. Anyway, try 1kohm. It’s optimal value and usually works.

It’s rated 680, but measures 677 due to tolerances. It is off by 0.44% which is well within the 1% tolerance.

I’ll buy some 1000 ohm, thanks.

I also use 1K in my X2R. What color leds did you put in the tailcap? I noticed that some drivers notwork good like convoy drivers with low forward voltage leds. Usually red, yellow and orange colors. I tried to change bleeder from 300 ohms to 4,7K and also the led resistor in tailcap from 4,7K to 47K but dont work good. If I remember correct also next mode memory issue I had.

I used the blue version of this one.

Convoy 1288 Switch Tail Cap Set for DIY Flashlight https://gearbest.app.link/N7wEIJeOOQ

With blue 1K works fine. I have blue and pink in mine. but I used 560 Ohms. Maybe try to replace the resistor on switch board to higher. Around 10-22K