Eclipse 4/8/2024 Big Deal or BFD

Seen a few and never had the “Out of the body, life changing experience”
It’s just natural progression of orbits. Not supernatural in the least.
It’s cool, but these people who "chase " them all over the world for like their whole life, like OK here’s your Gold Star. So what?
YMMV

2 Thanks

Yeah, for me it’s “BFD.”
(I’m guessing that’s the sarcastic response.)
The eclipse lasts at most three or four minutes.
I’ll see it on the evening news.
I don’t need to see it in real life, and I sure as heck am not going to travel anywhere to see a complete eclipse.
For me, it’s a total waste of time, effort, and money. :money_mouth_face:

1 Thank

Same could be said for fools that collect flashlights, and chase the next best emmiter… :wink:

Big deal, who cares can apply to Everything, what business is it of yours to judge what they enjoy?

6 Thanks

Point taken.
That would be the Mileage varies.
Thanks!

1 Thank

Yep, a lot of people probably don’t care about my hobbies either.
I like having a really nice PC and I spend a sizeable amount of money on electronics, including flashlights.
No matter what you care about, a lot of people (maybe a majority) won’t care about the same thing. :grin:

To see the eclipse I’ll have to travel a great distance, right out to the front deck. That’s about as far as I’d be willing to travel anyways.
I’ll sit out with a nice cup of coffee and enjoy the lack of crowds. No traffic to fight either. Just gonna make sure the gas tank is full and the groceries are done, it’s going to feel like a swarm of locusts have descended on the area…

1 Thank

Cool man, where you at?
Nice when it comes to ya.
Enjoy!

1 Thank

According to Camaro’s profile, they’re in Ontario, Canada. :+1:

I think it’s pretty cool. Life changing? Most likely not.

Last time I did get a kick out of all the flateartht**ds doing interviews afterwards. It was very humorous.

I am in middle Missouri so I will get a pretty good view of it if the weather is good. I’ll bring my welding helmet with me and see the same thing I saw 7 years? or so ago.

I’m gonna get those red’n’blue glasses so I can see the eclipse in 3D.

4 Thanks

I was lucky enough to experience a total solar eclipse on February 26, 1979 at the Maryhill Stonehenge Memorial on the Columbia River just south of Goldendale, WA.

Cool and cloudy in the morning until the warm Sun came out to clear up the sky just in time for the eclipse.

Most memorable besides the Druids, was how dark it got and the PWM of my shadow during totality.

I doubt I will ever have the chance to experience that again, but would for sure if I could.

A blast from the past filmed on Super 8 showing life at that time (fast forward to 7:27 for Druids or 9:23 for Totality):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytn0TL8eI1g

2 Thanks

I should add, an answer to the original question… I wouldn’t mind seeing one someday, but to spend much money or time to travel to do it, no… its just not that big of a deal to me.

If it was local, I’d try to see it, at whatever percentage thats available, but thats about it.

I do get it, the draw to see something rare.

I see the northern lights an average of weekly for 6 to 8 months every year, and take it for granted. Some people spend a freaking fortune to come here to see that… I can almost fathom that…

If I had the money now to travel far enough to see this eclipse, I’d go see something like Grand Canyon, or an ocean/beach(technically never seen one!) first… Or spend the same cash and time to get as far from everything as I can, into the wilderness here, try to find something else verry rare; a place untouched by another human being. That would be worth the effort For Me.

But an eclipse?
Nah. Not my thing.

1 Thank

Not interested. I do remember it happened some decades ago, and I looked through a piece of glass with candle soot on it. But that was not on the “moment supreme”, because the owner made it for himself. I think it was not such a big deal for my parents. I once asked them to buy me those special glasses, and they bought me some paper and plastic 3D glasses. But if you folded them, putting the two sheets on top of each other, it did the trick. More or less.

Western NY, Rochester/ Buffalo area is in the “totality” path. It’s been hyped here for commercial purposes for months. “Eclipse” parties, events, t-shirts, yada-yada, and the local Wegman’s supermarket is even selling “Eclipse Cookies” and cakes. Electronic road signs for the last two weeks “SOLAR ECLIPSE…MONDAY 4/8…EXPECT SEVERE DELAYS”. Local gubmint officials have estimated anywhere between 500K - 1M touristas flowing into the areas around here. A lot of businesses are closing early. Forecast is for clouds. I could care less, I’m eclipsed out before it even starts.

1 Thank

I’d seen partials, but not a complete until I was lucky enough to have my college buddy live in the Corvallis, OR path a few years ago. I’d have done the trip from Seattle just to visit. I thought the addition of the eclipse event was amazing. Those that needed to get out right after for work and stuff had horrendous traffic. We continued the visit and drove home in relative peace the next day.
I’d say if you are willing to commit 3 DAYS minimum to it, that it’s well worth it. But, I’m the kind of guy that would need to be paid at LEAST 4x the ticket price to hassle going to a major music or sporting event. Don’t know how people tolerate those things.

1 Thank

Yup, Niagara area. They pro-actively declared a state of emergency, just to get extra measures to handle the crowds. Expecting about 1 million visitors, think I’ll pass on the crowds.
As most have said, not an event to travel for but since it’s at my doorstep I’ll take a look.

1 Thank

Glad you got to enjoy it. My wife and I just got home from visiting my daughter’s family in PA. On the trip back we observed an unusual number of out of state license plates heading in the same direction. The rest stops were full of cars, campers, and RV’s. For sure it’s a significant event for a lot of folks. Hope the weather works out for them, and they all have a safe and memorable trip.

They said NF was going to be the big draw for this. Understandable. Hope everything goes well.

There is??? Damn it. Nobody tells me anything. Post office better not be closed.

Should be pretty neat. Being in the direct path actually makes it interesting. The last eclipse was a dud, like half the sun went away for 2 minutes. Basically a cloud. But going totally dark in the middle of the day is actually something.

I’m most curious to see how the dogs are going to react. And what do the birds do? All just shut up for 3 minutes? That’d be kinda interesting too. Spooky

Had seen partial eclipses before but not a full eclipse until we traveled to Kentucky in 2017. Rented a spot in a field cheap with no fanfare. Wasn’t sure what to expect but you could feel things building. Then full totality and I gotta say I was blown away. Well worth the time and the traffic.
We are in the path of totality in Indiana this year. Still have to travel a bit to be with the rest of the family, but the weather is supposed to be pretty good (as of now). I would not miss this after the last one. I have heard many in this area say they have seen an eclipse, and then they say they think it was a total, but the last total eclipse in Indiana was in 1800 something. This is worth all the hype (within reason of course).

1 Thank