EDC Tactical Pen

I say sternly, “You are not allowed to use the word tacticool on this forum!”

BLAHAHAHA!

Well, I’m going to have to ban JackTheClipper now. Sorry, buddy.

I set out to prove that I'm no one's fool

So my EDC contains every tool

I'm a badass mall ninja

and to Hell I will send ya

If you ever say that I'm tacticool

You guys have a link to ‘the tacticool thread’? :smiley:
I know very generally what happened but since its become legend I’d like to read or hear more.

One of a couple -seems like some of the posters changed names over this.

Actually no, within 21ft is the accepted distance where the human brain cannot react fast enough to prevent getting stabbed. Even a fat guy at 21ft can stab you.

It has been tested :wink:

It’s legendary all right. Some of the best amateur bun fighting ever seen on the net. But then you could always count on the many iterations of Sparkymarky for pure entertainment.

JackTheClipper’s Words
Ring With Harmonious Truth
Lucky BLF

also what LE trains for as minimum distance befor black zone and trained to stop. Threat before crossing that threshold anything closer will end up CQC .

And how many people were shot “at” in the United States in 1992 relative to the number of people who died from gunshot wounds.

If a person is shot at then the bullet has to hit, hit somewhere vital, and even then, for as much as thirty seconds, the attacker can still wade in and attack. One of the stories I read in Handgun Stopping Power described how a man was stabbed in the back, turned around, shot his attacker in the throat, and then bled out. He died, the attacker recovered.

Knives make bigger holes, which leads to more bleeding, and at the range they operate at they’re more likely to connect hence, for an unskilled person, they are more likely to be lethal than guns.

Also that is what is known as selective use of statistics. Unless “knife wounds” is limited to “wounds resulting from the use of a knife as a weapon” it could be covering everything from slipping while cutting your lunch, to accidents while knife swallowing. How many of those occasions were specific examples of people using knives as weapons against people? Remembering also that that is in the US, where guns are the preferred weapon of everyone who wants a weapon. I seldom see anyone from the US describe a knife as their primary weapon, generally it’s presented as an off-hand backup. Even on YouTube when young people are discussing their favourite Cold Steel knife, they say something like, “well this is what I carry until I’m old enough to get a concealed carry permit.”

They then go and buy a Glock, and it has to be said that if I lived in the States, I would too.

I miss sparky marky :_(

I suggest you don’t believe or quote things you’ve read on the internet (including this post).

Permit carry of a pistol is still a relatively small percent of the population - I would guess less than 1% of the entire US population and perhaps 2 or 3 % in states having a long-standing carry permit program. There are a few states where open carry is legal, but in practice it is seldom done in any urban area. And the large population areas/states overwhelmingly lean the opposite direction.

I’ve been in many groups where US men and women were queried over a variety of EDC items and a knife is one of the most common (and sharp scissors are carried by a much higher percent of the remaining women than I ever expected). Tactical knives are decidedly not pre-eminent, but knives are very present outside of government institutional settings (schools, etc.)

Freman, the knife is far and away the most common primary weapon, for instance I am living in California right now, concealed carry is out of the question here although my license is good in more than 30 other states that I don’t live in, so knives are it, and common.

As far as the 1992 numbers, I told you that with 3 MILLION, AND 1 HUNDRED THOUSAND knife wounds that were treated and reported, only 4,095 died.
KNIVES—–3,100,000 = 4095 deaths.

For gunshot that year it was 134,000 gunshot wounds and 37,776 deaths.
GUNS—–134,000 = 37,776 deaths

I don’t know where you get your assumptions about America and weapons, but they aren’t accurate, and anecdotally, as someone who has faced guns and faced knives and has disarmed men with both while unarmed myself, I always want the bad guy to have a knife instead of a gun.
One can’t always be lucky enough to be able to put his hands on a man with a gun, but you always have that opportunity when a man has to face you with a knife.

A ten year old can kill me with a gun before I can reach him, but a man with a knife has to defeat me in a fight to the death before he can kill me (in a face to face confrontation).

Freman, here are some numbers from that same report, indicating the severity of wounds resulting from knives versus guns.

Remember that these are based on almost 3, 100,000 knife wounds and fewer than 97,000 gun shot wounds.

“Annually, gunshot wounds cost an estimated U.S. $126 billion. Cut/stab wounds cost another U.S. $51 billion. The gunshot and cut/stab totals include U.S. $40 billion and U.S. $13 billion respectively in medical, public services, and work-loss costs. Across medically treated cases, costs average U.S. $154,000 per gunshot survivor and U.S. $12,000 per cut/stab survivor.”

You are free to test me anytime. I guarantee my G19 will smoke you before you get three steps. Proper training and regular practice go a long ways.

Sorry, but even within 16 feet, I have time to avoid/sidestep your initial attack, generate distance, and have my firearm drawn and ready.

now, if you have me cornered, against a wall, and with no way but to accept your direct attack, then I might worry about going CQC for a moment or two….but i”m going to worry more about generating distance and drawing my firearm than I am about going gladiator and pulling my knife out.

While I believe a man armed with a gun will kill a man armed with a knife with alarming regularity, I could use a rugged pressurized pen for work and these look to fill the bill nicely. Just Sunday I went to grab the pen from my back pocket and retrieved it in pieces. Doesn’t look good in front of a client. I found a huge assortment at http://www.bladehq.com/cat—Defense-Pens—257—3. Time to order a couple. :slight_smile:

Okay, I am convinced.

While I do believe a man with a pistol will best a man wielding a blade a high percentage of the time. You will be cut. Depending on distance you will not be able to clear leather quick enough to prevent it. A firearm is not but a tool like anything else. Don’t ever wager on a firearm saving your life in such a situation. It’s one thing to be well trained. It’s another to be over confident. Now if its a shotgun leveled at him, he would prolly wanna stand real still & drop the steel.