EE X6 Triple Build - accidentally dedomed one of the three LEDs

Happy New Year to all!!

Yes, a year later, I am finally getting around to building my Eagle Eye X6 triple using the copper heat sink designed in Nitro’s thread here:

I am using the Noctigon XP32mm triple MCPCB with three XP V6 3D emitters installed along with the Ledil CUTE-3 triple optics as are described in Nitro’s original thread.

While drilling the center hole in the Noctigon MCPCB, I accidentally slipped and one of the 3 LEDs was mechanically dedomed. It appears all 3 LEDs still function properly. The only difference I observe so far is the relatively warmer tint of the one dedomed LED.

I am close to completing the build (probably tomorrow) and plan to finish the construction, thus retaining the 2 domed LEDs along with the single dedomed LED.

My question is: Should I do anything to coat the dedomed LED, or just leave it alone? Somewhere else, I think I have read that a clear epoxy is used to coat and protect the bare Phosphor on dedomed emitters. If so, can anyone recommend or point me to the proper epoxy to use?

Actually, I am a bit intrigued to see what mixing the dedomed/domed emitters does to the tint and the resultant beam characteristics. Based on how much I like the results, I may order a replacement MCPCB with 3 domed XP emitters as I do not have the right stuff and skill to replace the dedomed emitter.

Thanks!

Most hobbyists probably leave dedomed LEDs bare. If you want to coat them don’t use clear epoxy. Buy a can of “LED Seal”.

This is the stuff…http://www.ledsupply.com/accessories/led-seal-silicone-spray-sealant
I have never tried it though
It will probably lower output

Thanks Firelight2 and Dallas! I could not recall where I had seen reference to this stuff.

Tommswpa