(Email is coming with tracking )Discussion Thread.-- 1st BLF Titanium flashlight with tritium.

S2+ . 18350 .

Tube style . Elegant , understated knurling .

Edit : Someone should Make . It . So .

There’s some good plus’ for the 18500.

But, not owning any 18500 cells, I don’t like the idea of shelling out for them, particularly when the pickings are pretty slim. This could also put off other potential buyers, who already have an 18650 (or 18350) cell.

I still think that two tube lengths is a good option; If you want really small, use the 18350 tube. Don’t mind the bigger option?; get the 18650.

If we are talking about sub-100mm lights, the Brass Beauty comes to mind, which is an 18650 light, with a reflector & tail clicky, & comes in at 97mm.

What if you could get rid of the tail clicky in that? I just measured it, & you’d loose almost 10mm.

I think you could easily get a sub-90mm 18650 light using an electronic side switch rather than a tail clicky, with the advantages of having a nicer UI available as well.

Thoughts on an electronic switch?

So, you want that light as short and thin as possible - the shortest and thinnest option would be a twisty - a side switch needs space, a clicky needs space.

I don’t see this as “my” light - I like lights like the Convoy M2 - thin and short enough but still handy to use.
I don’t read the whole thread, but I assume, you want that light with a XP-L @ 4.5Amps or so - that within a very thin case without any heatsinking…
I don’t think that is what I understand as a light made by semi-professionals and professionals.

A light made by profs would have really, really good heatsinking (Maybe a black rhodinized copper heatsink sitting between the head and the battery-tube, or included in the head) and a perfect thermal path from the LED to the heatsink (soldered).

Just my 3 Cents :wink:

Remember these from back in the old days? The Mr. Bulk LionHeart, LionCub and Chameleon?
Credit for the pic goes to CPF member “arewethereyetdad”

They sold bodies for 18350 18500 and 18650 and had intercheangeable parts, side electronic switch, maybe something like that with the DarkSucks design.

There were even ones made with Damascus
Credit for the pic also goes to CPF member “arewethereyetdad”

Even this other design looks nice!
Credit for the pic also goes to CPF member “arewethereyetdad”

Brass beauty. Nice. Does it fit an 17mm circuit? Something similar would be great for a BLF light. In ti of course!

Or how about something similar to this design?
Credit for the picture goes to CPF member Photonfanatic.com

Wow, some really nice lights there. That damascus light is very nice!

@ L4M4 - We’re still throwing around ideas at the moment. With the properties of the Ti, & more so the size we’re looking at, it’s never going to be a sustainable high-output light.

…but that’s the idea with this host - you build it how you want it.

I really think that once design is finalized, it should be available with the option of either titanium or bare aluminum

Here is even another design
Credit for the image goes to CPF member “Cmacclel”

Some more
Tom Anderson Prototype picture credit goes to CPF member “Flashologist”

Aleph picture credit goes to CPF member “easilyled”

TnC design picture credit goes to CPF member “Dlmorgan999”

Jeff Hanko design picture credit goes to CPF member “Compasillo”

Same designer picture credit goes to CPF member “easilyled”

Same designer, picture credit goes to CPF member “Shineonyoucrazydiamond”

Remember that this is still *BUDGET*lightforum - all those lights look like 250$+ at leasts

Them’s some spendy lights mister…
*wipes drool

I can’t afford those lights! I can afford a Sinner light. I assumed we were going to be a bit more frugal. Alex those lights are awesome but I never bought any of those because of the $300 to $400 prices. I’m not willing to pay $200. The option for shiny aluminum sounds like a great idea.

Remember in an 18500 light you could run a 14500 with no mods. Or an 18350 with a small easy to make spacer.

And buying an 18500 isn’t really much of a chore. Come on you can one for the same cost as a pint of beer!

I make my own beer :beer: :wink:

Those were only other’s great ideas to inspire design… :slight_smile:

I hate to say it. But I think some of you are being WAY unrealistic.

Remember if this is a host there will need to be availability for everyone buying it, to be able to build the rest of it.

Silly fancy UI’s and switches are not easy to buy off the shelf components suitable for a budget build.

So regardless of battery type we need to keep firmly rooted in reality for the rest of the components.

To me this would seem quite obvious. Few of us will want a wheezy under powered AA only Ti light. Budget orientated or not.

Supporting the “common” 17mm driver size is just logical and sensible. There is huge choice to be had.

If using 17mm drivers it makes sense to use 16mm stars. Again a commonly supported size. This means people can use Sinkpads, Noctigons or just plain Ally ones. And gives a vast choice of emitter types and tints.

Using a common size reflector again makes sense or opting for a standard size optic if not. A reflector would mean those wanting to convert to a triple it would be easy as the reflector opening would allow a custom heatsink and the again common 20mm triple led stars and optics.

Using these components is just down right logical to me and dictates some of the basic dimensions.

So side switches are not really an option. Or electronic switches. As stuff like this is too limiting in component choice.

And I’m sure few people will want this as a twisty. Therefore a tail clicky is the best option.

The only decisions left to make are the knurling design and look of the light and pocket clip design and attachment.

Body tube is less of a debate. 18650 is fine. Although I do think an 18500 would be more interesting and just nicer as it isn’t a size you can really buy elsewhere. And would fully support 14500 if spending $8 more on a custom build to get an 18500 battery is just too much.

Oh and one more thing. We really don’t want to try and make the worlds shortest 18650 light. DQG have had two attempts and had major issues both times with batteries not really fitting.

I’d rather a light is 1-2mm wider to ensure batteries fit than something that becomes a paperweight because it’s bloody useless.

And remember a light like this needs to be right first time. Unless we want to spend a lot more money and time, we won’t have the luxury of building a series of prototypes and doing a wealth of R&D, refining designs and making adjustments.

Keeping it. Simple to something we know works is the best approach to take.

-Rear clicky support
–17mm driver support
–16mm star support
-same reflector and glass lens support as something like the Convoy S series
-battery tube ID to fit even the fattest a of 18650/18350 batteries.
-sufficient battery tube length for the intended battery type.

Can we agree that if the stalemate is coming down to 18650 and 18500 that “bodies” for each are made. I have to think that a machine shop will be able to build the “same” body in two different lengths.

So that leave us with aside from aesthetic details, what is the agreed upon “host” design to move forward with?

S2
what else?

$03

What about a P60 host? Nothing is more Lego than a P60…