(Email is coming with tracking )Discussion Thread.-- 1st BLF Titanium flashlight with tritium.

Yep, fair enough - possibly too hard to implement, & relatively few people are set up to flash a momentary style firmware to a Nanjg style driver.

Seems Convoy S2+ host gets the most votes.

I think that’s a good size, as long as it looks much more intersting than a stock S2+

It is a great host, though I’m not crazy about the knurling, or lack thereof.

For the dimensions, the S2 is a great template for the titanium host, but I'm not too fond on the metal button of the S2+, I'd like to see a tail like the old S2, with the standard 14mm silicon tail-cap. Concerning the knurling: the S2+ is plain boring, a bit more pronounced knurling would be nice, and even some finning. Actually what I like best is the s8 as a template, but without the medieval bezel, just a flat one (but I can easily do a foybezeltm if needed :-) ). A nice bonus would still be the availability of a 18500 length battery tube as well.

Btw, low profile finning is very useful for a titanium light if the finning is right on top of where the pill is threaded in. It will get rid of the heat almost where it is produced, the low heat conductance of titanium is less of a problem because of the short heat path to the fins.

Any updates or progress on this?

WWEFANS - for the sake of moving this forward, is it worth getting pricing on creating a Ti clone of the Convoy S2?

That would at least give a ballpark figure that we could work with for something of this size and design. The “detail” in terms of final battery tube length, knurling and pocket clip would be something to finalise after people know how much £££/$$$ they need to be committing.

I’m fully up for this project and I suspect many others would be. But I think it’s time to lay some figures on the table.

I'm looking for some CAD guy to draw the blueprint. so that we can get an accurate price.

a Ti clone of S2 or S2+ with some different knurling seems good. most people will like that.

and a "straight" body costs much less $.

If u guys can get a cad drawing i can ask my machinest how much to have made ?

I remain interested. These are good suggestions. Yes, can’t get too fancy since this is B (udget) Light Forums. S2 or S2+ in Ti with better knurling and/or machining would be great.

It would be nice if it could fit a triple (without too much modding). Not 100% required but would be nice.

I have ordered an S2+,it should arrive in 1-2 days. Then I will forward it to CNC factory.

Personally I'm very interested in this one.

@AlexGT,do you have more pictures The blue holes, seem to be diamond?

This kind of knurling with S2+ inner size, both shorter tube(18350/16340) and longer tube(18650).

Hi Rey, is there a reason to choose the S2+ over the S2 as a template? IMO the old S2 is nicer because it uses the deeper reflector, giving a better hotspot. I think it is a pity that they changed to the shallow reflector in the S2+.

I also vastly prefer the Convoy S2. 8)

I would be happy with a copper one if it would significantly cheaper. The material cost differencebetween Ti and Cu would be well under $10, but if the retail difference is really high, copper is fun too.

:stuck_out_tongue: , :bigsmile: half the fun of threads like this is being able to have design input. With so many possibilities and preferences it’s pretty obvious that reaching a consensus is unlikely but at least we can participate even if our particular choice isn’t dominant.

So, in the other thread, pilotdog68 proposed a tripod tail end like this one:

It would served as a middle way between those who are in favour of a semi-open tail, for better thumb access, and those who prefer a fully closed tail, for better stability whilst tailstanding. The tripod cut would provide both a good thumb access and a satisfying stability.

Objections were put forward as to its potential high cost, due to the machining involved in cutting titanium.

I think it would be worthwile to at least get a quote for this tripod cut, so we have a precise idea of the price premium it would incur. Also, if aluminium or copper versions of the host were to be made, price would no longer be a barrier for this cut.

I am SO in for a titanium 18350 sized S2+ host! Awesome stuff, Rey!! I think it would be totally fitting to have the new metal switch on it as well. I love the look of it and on a titanium light it would be killer.

+1 I like the look of this cut, and I’m all for making it so that it satisfies both needs/wants properly, instead of having to compromise.

If we get this tailcap cut, and awesome knurling, and an unusual battery size (like 18500), made in titanium, plus a nice copper pill/heatsink that fits between the head and battery tube, this could have the potential to be the most beautiful and unique flashlight host yet. If all this happens, I’ll be in for at least four.

Edit: Just looked at the other thread. Rey said:

I don’t see how that should make a “big” price difference, since we are only talking about one more grind/polish compared to two cut-outs. Maybe a little price difference, if we’re really just talking about the actual machining itself, not the tooling set-up or otherwise. Material “waste” should have little or nothing to do with price in this case. With no cutouts, one, two, or three cutouts, the overall length of the tailcap should be the same - long enough to get past the button. Unless they are using a laser to cut out two tailcaps, end-to-end, such that the two cutouts in one nest inside the other, and nothing is wasted. Yeah, sure! :expressionless:

Are there any updates? Is this light moving forward at all? I’m not trying to rush anyone. I’m just curious. :bigsmile:

I guess project status freezer until year of the dragon…