(Email is coming with tracking )Discussion Thread.-- 1st BLF Titanium flashlight with tritium.

Any other updates?

Switches are done, and body will be in machining tomorrow.

Nice! Exciting!

Sorry I forgot about the clip. It's also updated. 5 cutouts now.

Looks less busy. This is good, but I think the slices need to be lined up a bit better. Also, I notice that the bend is in the wrong place too.

Which bend did you refer to?

the first prototype has the bend at the edge of the six cut-outs, the second prototype has the bend at the edge of the long triangular cut-out. The first position looks better!

I was thinking to make the bending more smooth. With an obvious molding mark (the "line") looks better?

Gunga and djozz are talking about where the bend is, in the clip. It looked better before. Now, it is misplaced. However, to answer your question, I’ve always thought good sharp bends look better than smooth, rounded ones.

I was also talking about the bend. It was missing because too smooth.

1st prototype has 3 bends,while the 2nd has 2.

Well, the bend between the five-slice-pie cut-outs and the long cut-out has moved. In the three-bend prototype, it was the second, or middle, bend that has moved down now. The bend was in a higher position before. Now it is too low - into the long cut-out, rather than just above it. In fact, the 5-slice-pie looks to have also moved down a little from the position of the 6-slice-pie that was there before.

My inner perfectionist is greatly disturbed by the 5-slice-pie not being aligned by longitudinal line. :/

How about making it a three slice pie (and/or just align in longitudinal direction)?

3 sliced would look too much like jeff hanko's design

I still like the idea of just a circle of small drill hits. Like the trit holes will look from the front. The five slice looks odd without one of the slices being aligned along the light.

+1 for circle of small drill hits.

I’m good with that too. Can someone post a picture?

I like it, would leave it as is…. “Leave to other’s their otherness” , this is Rey’s baby and I think he’s done a great job.

Edit: It just dawned on me… back in the 60’s and early 70’s we had automated car washed called Robo Wash. They gave out brightly colored vinyl peel and stick Flower Power stickers that we put on the car windows and this reminds me of those. :bigsmile: peace and joy in remembrance of old times. :wink:

This IS Rey’s baby, and he HAS done a great job! However, from the start, his purpose has been to create something that represents BLF and the flashlights we love. He took opinions right from the start, in order to make a special light that would appeal to many. I think continued feedback is a positive thing, because it shows that people feel like they are able to take part in the process which makes this light special. This light is not a clone of any other, or a knock-off, or a modified anything. It is one-hundred percent custom made, having been envisioned by Rey, and designed by the community. Of course, all of this means that you are just as much entitled to your opinion as well…

It can be tempting to push for consensus from a wide team in a creative project. Yet in design, consensus makes no one happy. TechCrunch founder Michael Arrington shared this perspective:

“There’s a saying I love: “a camel is a horse designed by committee.” A variation is “a Volvo is a Porsche designed by committee.” When there are too many cooks in the kitchen all you get is a mess. And when too many people have product input, you’ve got lots of features but no soul.”

Democracies don’t work in product development. Neither do unhappy compromises or peace treaties. We need to be leaders that make unpopular calls to keep an idea focused. Otherwise, we end up with a lack of a vision, internal inconsistencies, feature creep, and uninspired products.

“Product should be a dictatorship. Not consensus driven. There are casualties. Hurt feelings. Angry users. But all of those things are necessary if you’re going to create something unique.”

Rey has done a good job of listening. He has been patient. He has been responsive to good ideas. That is a quality of a leader, as is the ability to firmly take the lead. It is his baby, as Dale said.

^ that

I’m not trying to be argumentative or step on anyone’s toes. But there is a time for input and design, then it’s time to move on to execution. Once the prototypes start rolling out, monies have been spent and it’s time to move forward.

Continued input on change just waters it down and makes the final product take longer to reach fruition.

(in other words, I have trits waiting and want this baby in hand!) lol