(Email is coming with tracking )Discussion Thread.-- 1st BLF Titanium flashlight with tritium.

It would be nice, if it was in the Nitecore EC21 size.

+1

> Copper pill …… Sinner

I’d missed that design completely, but I’d been dreaming about the same notion —- seeing these heatsinks

available
https://www.fasttech.com/products/2022301

threaded on both ends for e-vaporators, figuring wires could go through the center hole as easy as nicotine vapor.

Just need adapters to mount the light head on one side and the battery tube on the other.

(it would make up for the way titanium doesn’t conduct heat well — giving a place the heat could go to be radiated away)

Anything that gets rid of heat without transferring it to the battery would be really helpful, allowing driving the LED much hotter without aging the battery rapidly.

Heck, we may be on our way to reinventing the one-shot LED, sort of like a slow-acting Flashbulb …

titanium is as tough as steel but with half the specific weight (still a bit heavier than aluminium), extremely corrosion resistant and plainly looks good. Disadvantages are that it does not conduct heat very well and that threading in titanium always feels gritty.

Sth like this for 20$? :smiley:

I’m in, pending specs of course. Would want as small as possible.

I´m most likely in, all mentioned formats and ideas sound interesting to me 8)

Just when I thought all the group buys are ending and china post seizes for 3 months , you come up with this J)
I was going to say 18650 please , but Jackthepoet hit the spot.Maximum adaptability,18350 , or 18650 with alu extender from Convoy or elsewhere , AA extender a la V11R , 16340,even CR123. Stick to Convoy thread pitches.
Titanium are bling lights so +10 on the trit slots :*
Two head options , one tube head , and one wider for throwers/multis , not necessarily in titanium.

Titanium alloys are midway between steel and alu for strength and density , it’s a pain to machine and a pain to weld.What it is good at is fatigue resistance , hence the use in aerospace , but of no special interest for torches.Aluminium has better thermal conductivity.Only Hollywood thinks it is alienproof magic metal.It is feel good expensive. 8)

This makes good sense.

Plenty of available parts to choose from, plus adaptability.

Maybe it would be possible to have two lengths of tube to choose from? 18650 or 18350.

Triple Nichia Ti anyone??

I’m interested…

My craziness… Titanium!! Compact. Total adaptability with 18650, 18350, 14500 and AA (with extenders).

Anything but AAA. they are a serious pain to build and driver options are seriously limited .

I like the 18350 and an adapter option to make it also an 18650.

think this is a great idea and have always said we need to make a blf light so good it forces people to come and join just to get something amazingly sweet .

if you build it .. they will come ..

Jacktheclipper is absolutely correct . make it so that ordinary folks can unscrew a part out of a convoy S series light and basically drop it in . Then it has mass appeal to the greatest number of people .those that mod and those who don't

i think that half of the job is done, the inside of the “blf Ti” will be same dimensions and layout as convoy s2, which means that now we have to decide how it will look on the outside…

Hi,

I’d be interested in an 18350 and 18650 sized ones….

Thanks,
Jim

Remember how the old Arc flashlights could take a wide variety of battery tubes, all of which would fit the same head?
That worked really well.

1 head, 1 tail cap, different tubes?

Let’s call this project what it is. We are selecting a host/production light to make a “custom” Ti host of (or a blf Ti clone of).

Step one: create a list/poll of proposed hosts/production lights (I think we have at least one on the list currently.)

Step two: select which host/production light to clone as a host. (aka a vote/poll)?

Step three: finalize cosmetic aka exterior changes (a single iteration vote, and then the liaison is the final arbitrator on the design)

Step four: have machine shop be responsible for copying said “host/production light” (eliminates the Pro/E requirement)

Step five: start the GB process.

Yes I am assuming that the machine shop pony up enough for one light (need to confirm that proposed guts fit) and to do the prototype work. (when this is done is open to process management)

My point is, if the machine shop has some skin in the game they will be motivated to offer a price that will land the maximum volume of business as opposed to us bringing RFQ to them on a plate and they “generously” telling us how much it will be.

Consider that if we actually do “design” a light then with that design and a “volume” of business we could just bid the job out. But that is work on our part. If a single shop wants the business then let them work with us to avoid the bidding process.

Just my $.02

I would love to have this for my collection

A vote is a best idea.But discussing here makes us know which are the good options.

A host that you easily find drivers,lens to fit in,that's necessary.

I chose an 18350 format because it would be less material , and therefore less money , than an 18650 host .

I would like to see a host the same size as the S2+ , but without the tailcap cutouts , I prefer the tailcap of the S2 because it tailstands better and it is easy to attach a clip .

I also like the idea of the S2+ because there are so many drop-in possibilities .

Consider this , A shortened S2 with triple Nichia in Ti ...

I would like to see block knurling , rather that the busy looking small diagonal knurling on common lights . ( Who needs another rasp ? )

The lines on this light should be clean and simple .

I would go for a AA eneloop or 18650 host, with one or two emitter options and one or two driver options (bonus if its programmable). Keeps everyone happy, keeps cost reasonable and harder to screw up (of course they make a national pastime of finding a way).

In the end i am not at all convinced chinese titanium is not debased in some way like their aluminum, steel and other metals, but that does not affect this light, its just something that i think about.