Emisar D18 introduction

VTC5A vs VTC6 @ 10A

VTC5A will win during first 10-15% of the capacity

At 15A the VTC5A will be better for even longer, like 20% so the difference is greater as you get higher. I wouldn’t call 10-20% of a cell’s capacity “a few seconds”. Certainly when you are dealing with only half empty batteries the higher capacities will shine though.

My recollection was a runtime graph someone posted on BLF a few months ago. Unfortunately, I don’t have the link. From that runtime test it looked like VTC5A fell behind after about 10 seconds. Far less than the “10-20%” of the cell’s capacity.

I looked at hjk comparator discharge tests. Different Vf and cell counts and drivers etc all have a ton of variables. I’m sure you can come up with a scenario to suit any narrative

Well this is the D18 thread.

I guess the real question here is: If you turn on a D18 in turbo mode mode… which runs brighter and for how long: VTC5A or VTC6?

That would be a tedious test cause of overheating. Just look at the charts and assume between 5-10A per cell CDR right? Plenty of vape tests and battery tests to line up with that

It should be more than 10 seconds. If you use HKJ’s comparator to look at his test data for the VTC5A and VTC6, you will at 15A, the VTC5A maintains a higher voltage for about 1/4 of the discharge cycle. However, the difference in output between full charge and the state of charge at this crossover point will be significantly more than the difference between the VTC5A and the VTC6.

So for the times when absolute maximum output is critical, you want to recharge or swap in a new high amperage battery, not use a high capacity battery. Yet it is also true that after a couple minutes of turbo operation, the medium capacity battery will outperform the high current one (this effect doesn’t extend as far as high capacity cells like the 18650GA).

Except you can’t a couple minutes of continuous turbo operation in normal conditions.

The effect you would see at 10 seconds is due to thermal control. Some good discussion and measurement of this effect took place when the D4 was newly on the market. I think one the most illustrative posts was a comparison Maukka made between the VTC5A and the Aspire 18350. Because the VTC6 had such high initial output, the light heated up significantly faster. The result was a much faster drop in output on the VTC6 to avoid overheating the light (and also partially because the high rate caused the algorithm to tend to overcompensate), not because the battery could not sustain it.

I grant that is a comparison to a smaller cell, but the stepdown was occurring in both cells well before capacity differences would be a factor.

There should be a similar in nature, but much smaller in magnitude difference between the VTC5A and the VTC6 - the VTC5A will likely start thermally throttling slightly faster than the VTC6.

Maukka’s comparison graph:

I’m not sure a graph comparing an 1100 mAh 18350 Aspire cell to a 3000 mAh 18650 VTC6 is very useful comparison for determining which 18650 is best.

Sorry, I don’t think I explained clearly what I was trying to convey.

In that comparison, a cell that is clearly inferior in both current and capacity looks like it outperforms the bigger cell for most of the first minute. In reality, the higher performance cell enables the light to reach its thermal limit faster.

The difference between the VTC5A and VTC6 will be much smaller, but above ~75% state of charge*, the VTC5A should have slightly higher output but step down slightly faster for the same reason. It’s once you get below ~75% state of charge that the VTC6 will take the lead.

That should take 2-3 minutes of accumulated turbo runtime, not 10 seconds.

* Estimate assuming 15A per cell.

I just tested the d18 again. Cells have 1 minute rest off the charger…

Sony vtc5a solder top. 13430 lumen
Sony vtc6 button top. 12550 lumen

Fresh off the charger, vtc5a make 14000 lumen something.

all night gas stations

Please make this happen! Money ready.

Interesting. I’ll have to stare at it for awhile to see if it grows on me…

I measured my XP-L HI 4000k at 10,600 lumens at 1s with my TA lumen sphere calibrated with Maukka lights using VTC5D fresh off the charger. A bit disappointed with the output since the 7-emitter E07 makes 7,000 lumens at 1s, but the tint is very nice. The top of ramp is set the same as turbo so double click from off takes it directly to turbo. Typical Anduril lights sets the top of ramp at about 50% or so of turbo.

Does anyone else have the XP-L Hi version? I’m curious is the XP-L HI version dimmer than the SST-20 version. My M43 with XP-L HI 5D was 1,000 lumens lower than the XP-G2 5D version.

EDIT: I just realize one of the batteries was a Sofirn 2200mah and not the VTC5D. I remeasured using 3x VTC5D and got 12,400 lumens at 1s. Better but still less than what I expected.

Does anyone know if the black around the LEDs can be removed so it’s just a clear glass?

The black panel locates the optics, it has a rim on the underside that the optics seat into so they stay in place. At the bottom of the optics holder are two pegs that seat into the emitter shelf to keep the base in position around the LED, the holder keeps the TIR at the right elevation above the LED for proper focus, so the black holder around the TIR and the black cover plate both serve the purpose of holding all 18 TIR’s in position.

anyone get their xp-l hi 4000k? Mine went out over a week ago and no tracking or info.

Newlumen you should scan your computer for malware or something. Strange links are being inserted into your posts.

Bummer

Conversely, I’d love to order the floody option and swap the center 6 for spot optics to get a hybrid beam.

I’d love a 26350 tube for the D4S!

I recently bought a Q8, but wasn’t aware of a timed candle mode. Is this a modification you’ve done?