Emisar D3AA is available now

If I was looking for a headlamp I would probably prefer the switch to be on the side of the tube, it’s easier to control by pinching when running and the light is bouncing up and down, however when the switch is on the end of the tube it’s more awkward since you are pushing horizontally and have to stop the light from sliding. Personally I hate having to constantly take my headlamp in and out of the headband when I just want to use the light by itself so I love this design.

This is the D4V2 I waited for. The top switch is perfect since it has a threaded retaining ring (my D4V2 retaining ring fell off) I love the grippy tube knurling, the fact that you you don’t have to change hand position in use. I hope magnets are removable or optional because I dislike them, but this may well be the Holy Grail of flashlights. Awesome job Hank! :smiley: :+1:

Nice! Possible to buy just the headband? And where?

I tried the Sofirn/77Outdoor headband on D4V2 and I wouldn’t trust it. It seems pretty tight and a repeatedly snapping it in seems like it would weaken quickly. The Wurkkos 21700 silicone ones work with a D4V2. I find the Wurkkos 21700 lights better as a work light than a headlamp anyway. They are really large without a short tube.

Agreed, something tells me it would snap in half at some point. But it’s all I had remotely fitting. Also tried a Nitecore HC60 headband and that’s way too wide. Should have some Sofirn one lying around (came with a SP40) but can’t find it at the moment. But it’s probably to small judging by the thinner tube of the SP40.

Haven’t got a clue. But see above, might not be the best option.

This works very well with my wizard pro!

I have to say that I’m pretty excited about this litght. Not including a headband would be a shame but I’m sure the community will come up with something if this turns out to be the case.

Sometimes I quite envy Hank about his patience with completing the craziest custom orders or the critic here on the forum. I have the feeling that enthusiasts are one of the best and worst critics at the same time since they really know what they want and can give you great feedback but they’ll also always find something to complain about and since everyone has their own opinion of ‘the best light’ there is no way to make everyone happy.

Haha! Exactly! If he listened to us all, his lights would probably look like the equivalent of: https://images.app.goo.gl/A51frUQYgy6B4vG1A

I guess he does what he does, and I know he follows his heart. And i like it, even if I can be a bit winy as well… :smiley:

Just check for updates and re-read what you said. Now I understand what you mean. It should indeed be 18350, not 16340. I keep mixing those up.

https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/4001328618685.html

Since there are 519As coming and the boost driver became available, the wangle (the name is just too catchy :D) might actually replace several of my headlamps when looking at dual channel. Love the E21As, but the 519A is actually good enough and allows more dual channel combinations. So 519A for high CRI and SST-20 deep red for night vision. Floody optic for close up spread (but maybe not ideal for deep red). Stabilised and high efficiency/less heat with the boost driver. Sounds too good to be true! What am I overlooking? Or is the boost driver not dual channel compatible?

Also the rumoured 14500 light will not be right angled right?

I’m also looking forward to that exact combo! Currently I have a KR4 with SST-20 deep red + 219b 3500k and it’s great, but 519a looks every better :slight_smile: Sadly it appears the boost driver is not compatible with dual channel (at least not yet). I might have to order one with just 519A and the boost driver for times I know I need long run time, and a second with that dual channel configuration.

I see this happen a lot. Brilliant minds thinking alike in these threads! Not to say I have a brilliant mind… But I have pondered this and this is what I have come up with.

KR4 w/ boost DD 519A SM455 for runtime and efficiency.

DW4 (Dangle Wangle 4) w/ dual driver 519A SM 273 / SST-20 Deep Red for the ultimate warm headlamp with red to preserve night vision…. Even though I know there isn’t scientific research… I like my red light at night… Doesn’t wake my brain as much!

Hi Hank, once again, asking second time…

When will Cyan KR4 be available again?

By the way, how is Shanghai lockdown affecting shipment?

Ive been looking for the first time recently at a handful of different lights using the SST20DR.
Ive noticed most of them only have a few modes. (Convoy only has two modes at 20% and 100%.)
Im wondering how this LED functions in an anduril light like your KR4?
Do you get a smooth ramp from low to high?

A dual channel emisar/noctigon may be the ultimate red light solution for me if the red light is not as limited as the others

It’s stepless ramping if you want. :slight_smile:

@Lumen9000

Do you know why most flashlights (especially Convoy) are so limited in their modes when using red LEDs?

Different UIs. Hanks lights are all Anduril(2). You can find instructions here if you search for “Anduril 2 UI”
Massive in advanced mode, laid back in normal mode.

Convoy uses other UIs, sometimes with a ramping software, sometimes not. He doesn’t seem to put as much thought into the ui, or he may think he has another type of customer group, scared of advanced UIs. I don’t know. Hank is maybe the most consistent in the UI department, and has made me almost abandon other lights that doesn’t utilize it. You can also see my rant a bit further up regarding the lack of ramp for the dm1.12. :smiley:

Expectations are set on a new level, hope more manufacturers dare to take the jump as well.

@Lumen9000

I really love both Anduril and Anduril 2.
Itd be nice to have a 12 Group Convoy with SST20DR too though.
Or any of the other lights ive been looking at to have more than just 2 or 3 modes.

I think red LEDs have some different power requirments or something that limits how they can be used?
So I wasnt sure how exactly an Emisar/Noctigon/Anduril light using them would work.

The red LEDs typically have a lower forward voltage (vF) than most white LEDs. So depending on the driver design, that could have something to do with the more limited driver choice.

There is, in fact scientific research on that subject. What’s not clear is whether the lower impact on melatonin level is canceled out by the need to use more light with red as compared to white to accomplish most tasks. The same tradeoff comes into play for dark adaptation, though none of Hank’s lights I’ve used go as low as I’d like for that.