Emisar D3AA is available now

is there a special price for pre-orders?
Im in for one.

Prices are set unless specified i.e reducing stock for new product replacing the current offering. For hanks products they are worth every penny solid build and performs better than specified. :smiley:

One of my other interests is firearms. The number one selling rifle in the United States is an AR 15 platform. Why is this? Because of modularity and the ability to customize.

On the same basic receiver I can build a 22 caliber rifle all the way up to a 50 caliber rifle. I can change the stock, the trigger, the grip, forend, flash hider, the mag release, the sights, etc every single part can be switched out for something else.

An entire market has been created where different companies have small niche is where they produce specific products.

If you think back at the history of flashlights, there was a time when the mag light was the standard.

Then I would argue that sure fire became the standard for period of time.

Now the market is much broader. There probably is no standard now although the convoy C8 is a fairly common platform that people can build from.

I am talking about is hank building a few simple models and then offering Opportunity for customization. He already does this in terms of offering multiple different emitters. Iā€™m just taking it one step further.

Ultimately what is the advantage? Market share. I think having an upgradable flashlight would put hank number one in the mid/ upper end flashlight community in terms of market share. He already offers what is one of the best ratios of quality to price. This would put him in a unique position in the market by offering upgradability as well.

On the selfish end of things, I would have a drawer full of pills/emitters instead of a drawer for flashlights.

I donā€™t want to sidetrack this thread so I will stop throwing ideas out.

which has more throw W1, w2 ?
whats best for this light?.

thanks

W1 will throw further, W2 will have more lumens (light)

I have preordered the W2. My understanding the more lumens will mean the fatter hot spot , right? I hope the extra lumens donā€™t just go to the side spillā€¦

Good choice. The w2 will still throw crazy.

Thanks. As long as it outthrows my Fireflies E01 w/Osram , which I think it will , I will be happy

how would this compare to GT Mini with W2?.
thanks

The GT Mini is much bigger. 50mm head vs 35mm head, you can figure out the throw from that easily, quite different lights in terms of size.

Very interesting Noctigon KR1. I want to try how it will work with led Osram, decided to order W2.

They are near perfect, Iā€™ll second this

I think youā€™re putting the cart before the horse here. The market for AR-15 accessories exists because it was such a popular platform, not the other way around.

The issue IMO is still actually developing a drop-in system that works reliably for hotrod lights (vs firearms where all the parts already have a design to mount and fit together, and things like electronic connections and heat transfer arenā€™t issue). This would be extremely cost, time and effort-intensive and Iā€™m not sure there is anywhere near a big enough market of people wanting part-swaps on their lights but unwilling to mod them to make it anything but a money sink. Surefire could launch the P3/6/9 system because so many people already owned their lights, and there were huge jumps in performance at that time, creating real demand for them.

I'll try to get this thread back on track. Drives me nuts every time I get a notification email about this thread and it has absolutely nothing to do with the new light being offered.

Since no response to my questions yet, I've emailed Hank and hopefully he'll let me know.

Yes, it has programming pads. Same as D4v2.

Yes, I use GA as well. Donā€™t need turbo that often and with the regulated 5 A it benefits from the higher capacity. Turbo on the other hand will be brighter with a more powerful battery (but will also heat up more quickly). No button top required, springs on both sides.

PS: The discussion was about the design of the new clip, so it was related to the ā€œnew light being offeredā€. Also this is Hankā€™s catch-all thread so it has multiple topics by design.

There's labeled pin pads shown on the driver spring side in a pic on Hank's page here: https://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-kr1-tail-e-switch-pocket-thrower.html

No one here knows for sure, accept Hank, because the light is on pre-order so no one has one yet. It looks like it's designed for external programming but I can' t tell if the same reflashing kit can be used.

For the batteries, a GA cell should be fine because it's a relatively low amp draw with a single LED of either an OSRAM or XPL-HI. I'm sure flat tops will be fine but dunno about button tops - Hank could probably answer that.

Your Panasonic Sanyo NCR18650GA should work. But compared to 30Q it has no advantage at all down to 3.3V, this is why hunting for cell with more mAh is basically unimportant unless current draw is low, like 1A and such.
So simply those are cells only worth buying for low currents, due to their lower voltage on load they will performance simply weaker in any flashlight, no matter if it is direct driver or regulated buck, etc, as long as the current is 5A and over.

Thanks for all the info, SammysHP, Tom E, and Hikelite! Just what I needed. Order placed.

P.S. I saw the clip discussion which I was actually enjoying but then it's become about Hank needs to make modular lights so we don't have to buy a whole new light, which is going pretty far outside the clip discussion.

Like others said, drop-ins donā€™t really work with high performance designs like this.

I have thought about working on a design for a highly modular light that might have intermediate performance, and think I have some good ideas, but it would be a different style of light than what Hank produces. It would not be able to maximize lumens for a given light size, due to both thermal constraints and the space that would be needed to enable modularity.

It would also be a bit more expensive, but yes, I think it could appeal a lot to people who donā€™t have the skills to mod a flashlight.

This is only the case if youā€™re constantly running the light at that draw though. If spending most of the time at a lower output the higher cap cells definitely catch up.