Emisar D4S review

I have no experience with the SST-20 version, so I can’t answer your question.

@Frumious @ Pete7874

That's right i forgot about that too, so i checked TK manual.

"You can check the default calibration by entering TempCheck mode from a room-temperature light. The D4Ss are supposed to go through a temperature calibration at the factory, so hopefully most of them won't need manual thermal calibration."

So that is 3 click from off to enter BattCheck then 2 click while in Battcheck to enter TempCheck mode. the light should start blinking and indicate the factory calibration.

For the default ceiling temperature i'm not sure if there is a way to check it like the temp? maybe the light blink like Tempcheck or you can just change it without knowing the current parameter.

I'm interested to know if there is a big calibration difference between your two D4S, maybe that could explain why the sst-20 ramped down faster and stay cooler than the XP-L hi.

@lotrbfme if you want similar brightness performance to the XP-L HI and better throw for a lower price, get the SST-20 5000/6500k.

If you want to keep the good throw, but want to up the color quality, get the SST-20 4000k 95CRI version.

The SST-20 4000k is really nice. Grey with red aux is a strong combo. The reds on high give just a wee bit of useable light for dark-adapted eyes while stargazing.

Calibrate first, test later. The tests don’t really mean anything if the devices aren’t calibrated first.

If you go into temperature check mode, I bet you’ll find they read out different values at the same temperature… like 22 on the XP-L HI model and maybe 30 on the SST-20, at room temperature. But these should both be set to the same value.

Then they should both reach approximately the same actual temperature. For now though, it sounds like the difference was completely unrelated to the LED type, and only showed a difference in sensor calibration.

My D4 thinks room temp is 15*c but my D1s think its 33*c , so that could make a lot of difference until calibrated.

I think the temperature tolerance on the Atiny85 is plus/minus 15 degrees Celsius. And they do use it.

Finally revealed where those D4 lights come from

https://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/Über-die-fortpflanzung-der-taschenlampen-am-beispiel-emisar.68246/

Spoiler

Haha, I have to see if I can make mine breed as well :smiley:

^ LOL^ Ok, you got me.

Anyone with a D4s How useful are the AUX leds??
Just good for location?
Or can you see with them?

Most of the photos I see they look dim.

Aux boards are dim as they increase standby drain

On low there is just a hint of light, enough to find the flashlight in a dark room.

Red LEDs on hi give just a bit of illumination. Good for close up where you just need a smidgen of light. The cyan on hi definitely puts out more light than the red.

I use the cyan on high for night light in my bedroom, it has enough light to navigate with.

the red leds are very dim, my Zebra’s 0.07lm mode looks like daylight in comparison

Thanks for the reports, I don’t have a 26650 light.

There is no frosted optic option on intl-outdoor website. Is there any other place, where I could buy that?
I have a D4 with frosted and D4 with clear optic and I prefer the frosted optic version, so I’d like to buy D4S with frosted optic. Can’t find it anywhere. Was anyone successful?

They can be found online, but I’m not sure if they ship to your country…

I have a battery question. I’ve bought two of Fogstars 25 amp batteries, designed for vapers I reckoned they’d cope with the draw of the D4S.

But I see they do a 32 amp Exo.

https://www.fogstar.co.uk/collections/batteries/products/exo26650s

Are my 25 ampers going to be ok in the D4S? They certainly work in the light, but I’d like the best, and safest option.

Crazy little thing by the way, I can see why you guys got super excited by it. I picked grey ano and cyan aux leds, couple with the SST20 4000k 95CRI emitter. Perhaps a little warmer tint than I like, but it’s early days and I haven’t been out yet with the dogs to check colour rendition properly.

Would the SST20 5000k be a little whiter than the 4000? Any excuse for a black ano with amber aux. :sunglasses:

I read that the 5000K can be green on low levels, on high level they turn white.

Avoid like the plague then? I have a love/hate with Olight for their greenish tints. Olight, so near but yet so far…

Spent the last half hour mucking about with the D4S, the blue aux leds on low are perfect, I really like this little thing. I’m not pushing it to max for long, though the 25 amp cells seem to be coping. More to play with yet, like stepping rather than ramping, but if I can get to grips with the old Liteflux lights, I’ll be ok with it.