END-(AMZ US) Sofirn SP36 BLF Anduril Deal

I have no absolute reference to judge the actual brightness, but both of my SP36 lights purchased a month apart on Amazon also appear to be identical except for the thermal configuration for the current temperature, where one seems to be accurate and the other is not accurate even after multiple calibrations; but I do not notice any differences during use between the two even in prolonged turbo mode.

Thanks for letting me know there are other options that will blow my eyeballs out if necessary. Looking forward to that but I am not disappointed with the SP36 as it seems to be a fine light even if it is not as bright as it should be.

Hmm, I guess mine isn’t a dud after all. Sofirn needs to update their description of the SP36 then, as it is between 1800-2000 lumens on turbo,and is no where near the 5,650 that they claim. I love everything about the light, but the output is unimpressive for a light of this size/cost.

If I had known the light was less than 2,000 lumens, I would have bought a Q8 instead for the same amount of money.

And there are definitely lights that will blow your freaking mind! I have a Haikelite MT03 and it’s freaking insane! It’s the 13,000 lumen version, and tested over 14,000 lumens on turbo in my lightbox. It makes this light look like it’s not even on in comparison lol,.

Two clicks gets you to top of ramp. From there 2 clicks gets you to turbo.

Well, holy shit I’m an idiot! THat’s what I get for not completely reading the instructions!

I just retested it in my lightbox now that I found the legit turbo, and sure enough it tested out at between 4,800-5,000 lumens.

Thanks man!

Sofirn, please disregard my prior comments, and the private message. Thanks for making another awesome light. I highly doubt another manufacturer can make a light that compares to this for $50 with batteries included!

The 36 is a great light. I love the top of ramp for walks in the country. I only use turbo for quick bursts. Charging is easy. Long run times. Not as large as Q8.

Agreed. Now that I found the actual turbo (thanks to you, since I’m a dumbass lol), I have to say this might be the best light I have ever seen.
The Anduril UI is the best there is, combined with an awesome form factor and type C charging. The only thing I would change is to add a small lanyard ring to give a little peace of mind when using it for long walks.
Other than that, this thing is just about perfect. My brothers birthday is in April and I’m gonna get him one of these.

I learned some knots on youtube and tied a lanyard on mine.

If you configure the SP36 to use "Muggle" mode be aware that while being used at the highest muggle light level, the SP36 will occasionally drop down to the lowest muggle light level unexpectedly.

Both of my SP36 lights exhibit this behavior even after using the thermal configuration option to calibrate the current temperature.

ToyKeeper describes the reason for this in post #196 below:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/55654/195

This only happens when in Muggle mode, right?

If so, I don’t really care, as I don’t see myself ever using it lol

Also top of ramp can be set to be turbo if you want.

How do you do that? I didn’t think the top of ramp could be changed from the default level of around 2000 lumens.

You will have to read the manual as I don’t remember off hand. Bottom and top of ramp can be set. You should also check your temperature calibration.

I have only experienced the "unexpected instant maximum ramp down" issue while using Muggle mode.

Muggle mode is quite beneficial for those using the SP36 who are not familiar with Anduril so they do not end up in the Stobes, Blinkies or Lockout mode.

Also be aware that while the SP36 uses a USB-C charging port, it charges most reliably with a USB-A to USB-C cable. Some clarifying information is in this thread:

Post #10 by forum user Phlogiston in the above thread describes a USB-C to USB-C cable configuration that should also work.

Wellp, the original (my preference) BLF Q8 is the classic, warmer and floodier than the Sofirn Q8, which is cooler and throwier. The DC7 is more akin to the Sofirn, but has built-in charging, which is a lot simpler to just plug’n’wait vs cracking it open, digging out a 4-bay charger, charging the cells, then reloading.

Problem is, the DC7 is discontinued or otherwise unavailable on Amazon anymore. UI is kind of a lobotomised Narsim, on/off, ramping up/down, 2click to brightest, click’n’hold for moonlight, and that’s pretty much all you need. Nothing fancy like battery level blinkouts or whatnot.

But, like the Q8, it’s a big donk. Extra cell, bigger diameter… yeah, it’s big.

So while the SP36 is smaller and easier to carry, it still has 3-cell capacity and will run hella-long… but it’s not nearly as bright as the spex say it should be. Disappointing, but you get that much more runtime. :laughing:

Shut up… seriously?

Will hafta try it…

That is from off. From on , 2 clicks gets you turbo.

“In-struc-tions”? Whut’s that?

But yeah, it works. :laughing:

I thought Narsim and Andouille both were 2click-to-turbo, not -ceiling.

Damn, everything else I got, 2click goes right to turbo, whether already on or off.

Even my ‘micro, when already at “turbo” (can’t really tell, as I’m using a middlin’ 14500, not high-drain), when ostensibly at turbo, another 2click goes to blinkies.

Ach…

Yep, that’s what the appeal was… and now is. :laughing:

Wellp, being that it’s a nightstand light and size won’t be that much of an issue, I think I’ll keep the DC7. 2click (vs 2click + 2click) to turbo is a lot easier to do.

Agreed … I had no idea that 2+2 = Turbo. Good to know. Well kept SP36 secrete.

I do appreciate my DC7 and keep it handy … great light all around.

Thanks for the info … :beer:

Czech out the Teslacom Amazon.com , also discontinued. Its lanyard is one of those dog-harness types, no idea what they’re called or where to get ’em, but that’s a definite option for lights without a dedicated lanyard.

Scroll down about a third of the way for “Easy use with Lanyard” and loookit the pic.