[Ended]Groupbuy : Utorch UT02 (single cell XHP-35 HI / 26650 thrower)

Please put me down for a NW.

Thanks

Is there any chance that the promo code will be extended (past Dec. 15th), given that some people are holding off ordering until the amp issue is clarified/resolved?

I will ask tomorrow .

We are still working on finding the problem with gearbest .

Does it look like you might make some headway with them? I tried emailing customer service and besides being confused by their response…I’m not sure they understand I would just really like a light to the specs that are printed:

My initial email:

“I ordered this flashlight as part of a group buy on budgetlightforum.com (BLF) . Your ad sales it has the exact same specifications as the Manker U21, so I ordered the Utorch UT02 as a less expensive replacement. However, in comparing it with my Manker U21, the Utorch is not as bright. Several people who bought the Utorch from the group buy on BLF say they are seeing the same thing….that the light is underdriven and not as high performing as your ad states. Please advise me what we can do to fix this.”

Their response:
“Dear Chris,

Thank you for contacting us.
We are extremely sorry to hear you are dissatisfied with the product.
Could you please check our warranty policy?
http://www.gearbest.com/about/warranty-and-return.html

In this case, you can keep the item and do not need to return it to us for this time.
If you know someone in need or if you would like to donate it to a charity, we would really appreciate it.
We can refund 5 USD back on your Wallet and exceptionally reward you with extra points (e.g. If your refund is USD 1=2 points, USD 3=3*2 points=>get 6 points etc).
You can use both your wallet and points to purchase your future products.

Learn more about wallet benefits : http://www.gearbest.com/m-article.htm?id=111
Check out to use points: http://www.gearbest.com/about/about-points.html?157wrew
The refund can be completed within 1 working day.

We look forward to hearing you soon.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Best Regards
Leda
Gearbest Customer Servive”

Today received NW version and, I am very pleased with the appearance and overall performance, perhaps because I did not expect to be blown away :smiley: :smiley:

My tailcap shows 2,57Amp with fresh cell and goes up as the voltage drop ( expected)

Really love the moonlight 2-3 lumen only, no PWM at all!

Led Amp is 0,7 on turbo

Yes the readings might be low but it does produce close to declared lumens, after ceiling bounce testing I got these results

Monlight 2-3 lum
Low 90 lum
Mid 270 lum
Hi 550 lum
Turbo 1240 start, 30 sec 1160 lum

I’m not sure why the reading of amperes are so much lower compared to Manker ,but maybe that’s the problem with the U21 and therefore has been reports of broken drivers

NW is awesome so much better then XPL HI 5000K no pinkish at all…

I will do a review this is just short report

Thanks
NikolaS

A highest bin XHP35 should give a hair less than 1100 LED lumens at 0.7A, it’s fair to assume that this best case scenario would give a good bit less than 1000 OTF at 0.7A, your ceiling bounce method might be off by a good margin.

Yikes, look at those thin DMM leads. Dunno, maybe at the low amps they can be more accurate. I don't even trust the heavy leads anymore after using a clamp meter - clamp meters almost always read higher, at high amps though.

I would think that ~1200 lumens at 2.57A would be well received, run time should be quite long. (or is that deceptive? A boost driver will pull more as the cell dies so the curve won’t be linear. Hmmmm….)

If those stock DMM leads are showing 0.69A at the emitter, I can only imagine a clamp meter reading from a 20ga loop between the negative driver lead and mcpcb would show a true higher result. Maybe not a lot, but higher. We shall see I suppose.

I would like to see back-to-back beamshots from both lights as well as light box measurements to back up the DMM findings, there should be a story of interest in there somewhere. Not to mention a good examination side-by-side of finish quality and overall build, perhaps some measurements and close scrutiny of the two lights. From everything I’ve been seeing, the UT02 is well made and stands on it’s own quite well. Those that have gotten one seem to feel this Utorch would have been well received even without a direct competitor. Has anyone checked for legoability between the two? Interchangeability between parts might be highly suggestive of origins or give separation to some of the thoughts thereof.

I am really impressed with this light so far. Very comfy to hold and walk.

I dont know what you’re considering to be thin wire?
Those probes are 18AWG and the one solderd for thr loop are 20 AWG.
Why would I need thicker ones for measure something under 1A?
Highest bin XHP35 5000K is giving 704 lumens at 350mA .

For example my stock EE X6 XPL hi 3,55A at tail is showing same results on turbo like Utorch in ceiling bounce testing!

If you wish I could get one U21 from my friend for direct comparison?

Its around 1300-1400 lumen i have compared it to a few lights.

Is there a way to bump the output, sense resistor maybe?

I tried that and it works , but don’t know if the driver survives .

Check here : Review : Utorch UT02 Flashlight (XHP35 / 26650 / usb rechargeable)(in progress) - #51 by giorgoskok

And that’s a D4 bin @ 25°c junction temp, pretty much best case scenario.

A conservative 20% optics loss would give below 900 lumens OTF for a led current of 0.7A.

If your multimeter and leads combo is correct you’re seing less than 900 lumens.

2-3 lumen ?

Seems too low . Are you using any form of a calibrated “light box” ?

No it was too low,for bounce testing, so my free estimate is 2-3 lumens because it is barley a little brighter then BLF A6 moonlight.
I can watch directly to led with bare eye without a problem…

Still vacillating- hope the 15th deadline is extended, comments so far seem very mixed.

The black and red probe leads are 18 AWG? Sorry, they looked like stock leads with the heavy insulation and thinner wires inside. How long are the leads? I use 12-14 AWG 12" leads directly plugged into the meter and bare, soldered ends - no probes at all.

They are stock Mastech probes 80cm long with true 18awg inside,and I am using them for readings under 4-5 Amp. Above that I have a lot thicker short wires directly to the meter as you do, but no need for that at this readings…

Giorgoskok got the same result in his testing 0.7A on highest mode

Exactly , and was tested with clamp meter .