ENEDED

All replied.

I received mine today!

It’s beautiful and quite heavy. Output is plenty - seems to beat my Mi7 Ti, but rather floody. The inside of the body tube (under the CF) is plain copper, but nobody sees it. The CF gold accents are a perfect match for the brass ring on the head. Very classy. My cutest light so far.

I’m somewhat disappointed by the tail switch though. It does look good but it really feels cheap to operate. I was hopping for an eswitch à-la Tool Ti but it’s a plain mechanical switch with a rattling metal cover.

Once again i could not use one of the KeepPower protected 14500 800mAh i recently bough. This time because of an unexpected sort of raised ring around the positive contact on the driver side. The battery raised top is apparently not raised enough to reach the inside and it does not work. I had better luck with other cells. I suspect flat tops will not work… Is that a reverse polarity protection of some sort?…

Great collectible AA light!
Thanks Freeme!

Edit: some picts…

Patmurris, thanks for the pics and comments. So other than the raised ring in the head, can you tell or measure the maximum battery length and diameter that would fit? Looks like the ring could be machined down, or the center built up.

Interested

@Etex: I’ll check the tube ID with a caliper and let you know. Regarding max battery length i’m not sure how to determine it… So far all i can tell is the protected KP did fit and they are certainly the largest 14500 i have. They dont fit the Mi7 tube ID (i had to use pliers to extract a stuck cell) and they dont fit the Utorch UT01 because they are too long… So i’d say the little prince is quite accommodating regarding battery size. Now for the ‘protection ring’…

Hi.
Measured some 14500`s and the light takes my buttom tops, and they are from 50.06 mm to 52.13 mm. (Standard AA`s fall in between.)
The “ring” in the head raise approx. 0.83 mm.
The inner tube diameter is 14.9 mm.
The overall tube-length is 52.07 mm.
Tube length with the switch on is 53.25 mm.
…so there you go. Hope it helps.
Very nice light, my wife fall in love with it… :sunglasses:

@hunter1: thanks for the dimensions.

The light is a beauty i agree. The CF has some depth to it that’s really adding a classy touch. Not mentioning the polished SS and brass accent. :heart_eyes:

However i’m going a bit mad with the switch rattling cover… Unless you press it right in the middle and very straight it produces a metallic scrapping noise that is totally out of place for such a nice light. It’s like owning an expensive sport car that sounds like a wreck when you start it… How do you cope with that? I’d be happy to hear about a fix. Was the 18650 Prince the same?

Hi @patmurris
Try a little lubrication or a drop of sawing machine oil… Give it a little use, and it should be OK after a while.
(But if you pay the ticket I will come down to Nice and fix it for you. I´ll bring both the lubrication and the oil.) :sunglasses:

Thanks for the tip hunter1.

You’re welcome to drop by whenever you want before May… if you don’t mind staying late at night and spending time beaming lights around in the garden like deranged people. I’m running off the coast and renting the place during summer…
BTW: i would not mind paying you a visit too. I once went all the way up to Narvik. Loved the fjords and little towns along the coast. :slight_smile:

Thank you both patmorris & hunter1, I had also emailed lumintop and they stated battery length under 52.5mm & diameter 15mm. No low voltage protection in light, so use protected cell.

Which particular cells work for you?

Glad that you are enjoying your new light. I didn't know that inner tube is made of copper.

Hi patmurris.
… I was down in Nice 9 years ago at the end of January. Had to go up to Grasse to get some parfume. After a week, took the train to Paris before returning back home… If you ever come up north again, go further than Narvik - that is just half way up in Norway - and there is lots to see further up north. But if you go by summer, no need for flashlight - I probably can arrange some midnight sun - 24/7 - for some months.

Hi Etex.
… I am using some old AW cells, protected, putton top - 51.34 mm.
Also tested some protected Ultrafire, one measuring 50.06 mm and one “abnormal” sized (compared to the others) on 52.13 mm.
(But who knows what is inside.!)

My Cu Prince switch does rock in the recess, no noise tho. I considered it a feature as you can switch modes by rocking it as in a half press.

In for a price check at the very least

Does anyone know if they have plans to make a copper and/or brass version?

Right now i use (against my will) protected TrustFire 900mAh Flame 14500 - button top.
I wish i could use protected KeepPower 800mAh but the top button is not tall enough to reach the inside of the “protection ring” around the driver positive contact.
I have a couple unprotected Efest 14500 V2 i have yet to try.
I’m short on ‘good’ 14500…

Edit: Efest IMR 14500 Li-Mn V2 700mAh BT (red) do work. The light does not perform better then with the above TF cells though - even a little less. Both cells are about two to three years old. I don’t know how that matters.

…and a AAA version? :heart_eyes:

Just received my Prince Mini (not part of the group buy, unfortunately). I also ordered Fenix ARB-L14-800 (Protected 14500, button top battery). I can confirm that this battery does work in the light, I cannot confirm what the actual lumen level is, but seems good to the eyes. This is probably the longest battery I would care to put in it, since starting the fine threads is a little touchy (in retrospective, I probably should loosen opposite end a turn or two, first).

One thing I did not expect was it came with a glow in the dark diffuser cap. More later….

Edit: Battery measures 52.37mm long.

Freeme, could I please get a price?

Mahalo!

So here’s the scoop on the Mini’s tail switch. I’very isolated the rubbing / scraping to be related to two things. 1) on the metal button cover there is a very small retaining lip, that when the button is not pushed straight in, it scrapes. It is not the main part of the button. 2) because of the way the metal cover sits on top of a rubber boot cover, it’s like it ‘high centers’, due the nub (plunger) on the inside of the metal cover, thus allows it to rock side to side. I’m still trying to figure out a solution.

Here’s a short video to demonstrate:

Thanks for the button tear down!
I hope you come up with an easy fix for it…
How about cutting/opening the top of the rubber cap so that the ‘tit’ on the metal cover goes straight to the switch?

Does Lumintop know about this issue?