ENEDED

I remember someone asking, and I also remember this comment above, meaning I don’t recall having read a defined answer.

I’ve read the same thing too, someone asking if Astrolux would cheap out on the new batch. And someone replied and saying it would be very dumb for them to go cheap on the second batch.
TBH I feel my Q8 is making stuffs easier to see

I got used to Nichia LEDs with tints below Black Body Locus reference and my MF-01 v2 is above the BBL. At first the difference let me think that it was lower CRI Nichia but after more comparisons and time to got used to this difference, I guess both used 219C R9050 but with different tint batch.
The overall tint of my v1 is “whiter” with a hint of magenta that makes colors look more saturated. The v2 is more yellow with a hint of green, orange and red colors look less denses, red colors are more orange and blue colors are a bit green. At first I hated it but I probably need more time to get used to it, once the brain white balanced the beam tint, it’s not that bad.

I thought 700 lumen was low and 1100 was medium. Moon, low, med, high, turbo?

To me, it looks like the runtimes are for the xpg3 version, not the 219 version.

What is meant is you turn the light on turbo and measure till the batteries run down. This is common practice and very few companies give specific details. Olight for instance will be more specific and say turbo- 3 min then high for 20 min then med for 3 hours. So don’t be fooled by the runtime specs. You have to know their tricks. Plus common sense will tell you it can’t sustain the heat nor will 4 18650 cells have enough capacity to sustain the amp draw for that long. You’d need what, 50 batteries to maintain 20 amps for 3.5 hours?

Hey, i 3d printed light diffuser, so happy, the tint is very good
Also this is the V2 nichia led under UVight, it is less yellow compare with my astrolux s42(80+ cri, no, it’s 90+, sorry)
I dont know what it means, hope somebody make it clear for me

According to maukka astrolux s42 219c is 90+CRI

oh i didnt know that, thank you

The figures for the 219C are given in the instructions as:

Low, 70 lumens, 214 hours.
Med 700 lm 14h
Med 1 1100 lm 4.7h
High 6800 lm 4h
Turbo 11526 lm 3.5h

These numbers don’t make much sense to me, e.g. Med 1 at 1100 lm only lasts 4.7h, whereas High, at more than six times the lumens supposedly lasts 4h, and Turbo with ten times the output is quoted at 3.5h.

They also don’t stand up to a quick estimate, e.g. it typically takes at least 3.5A of current from a single LiIon cell to produce about 1000 lumens from a decent LED. So a single 18650 of say 3000 mAh capacity would only be expected to supply e.g. 1000 lumens for less than an hour. Or with four cells, less than four hours. Certainly not 6800 or even 11526 lumens, for several hours.

And this estimate is in line with what I found on medium, 700 lumens, 6 hours instead of the quoted 14 hours.

When running on High, my torch also steps down in brightness very noticeably, after about 15 minutes. It is warm by this point, but not hot. I would guesstimate that brightness was perhaps halved during the step down. So the reality seems to be that the torch only seems to maintain strong output for 15 minutes or less. It will not run continuously at full output on the high setting, which is a disappointment, but perhaps also explains the implausible run-times stated for the high power levels.

Perhaps someone with suitable equipment could measure the actual output of the torch under realistic operation (not just the initial few minutes).

Is that V1 or V2 you’ve got? Probably V2…

I assume second wave would be version 2.

Good. V1 with ~6000 lumens high steps down after about 2.5 minutes or so. So V2 with ~3000 lumens high stepping down after 15 minutes makes sense. My M43 with high of ~3000 lumens also steps down after about 15 minutes, although much more gently.

My actual measurements for v2 219 are
low 24 lumens,
med 780 lumens,
med1 1450 lumens,
high 2975 lumens,
turbo 11200 lumens

Yes it is Nichia, version 2. Probably one of the first delivered, direct from UK warehouse. Ordered October 9, shipped October 11, Royal Mail tried to deliver on October 17. Meanwhile I have been travelling and only collected it this Wednesday, 1 November.

The tint is really nice, the CRI seems excellent. The brightness is good and the floody beam will be very useful. It doesn’t compare with the Q8 for throw, the tighter hotspot on that is so much brighter, and I think can probably be sustained for longer. Once the MF-01 turns itself down, it is still a pleasant torch, but of course not as dramatic as when running brief bursts of enormous power. My quibble about quoted run-times vs. lumens is simply that they seem quite unrealistic, I never expected four 18650s to blast out e.g. 6800 lumens for four hours, in fact my test of “high” mode has just concluded after 2 hours 22 minutes, (switch LED went red at 3.24 volts in cells) most of that time spent very much turned down, frankly I doubt it has been delivering more than maybe 1500, at most 2000 lumens on “high”, even my BLF A6 still out-shines it conclusively in the hotspot on high (but not with the MF-01 on turbo, obviously).

I daren’t let it run down completely, because the first time I tried that it took the cells all the way down to 2.7V before cutting off, not too happy about that. Though it did prove how well the boost driver seems to perform, still seemed to be working brightly even with virtually dead cells.

I do have an issue with the weight of the thing, mainly due to the massive brass battery carrier. Compared with e.g. the Q8, it is a beast, approximately 750 grams. c.f. 600, loaded up with cells. Of which about 145g is entirely down to the battery carrier. A lightweight version in aluminium and/or plastic would be desirable, better still a simple tube. I don’t see the purpose of the carrier, which also makes loading the cells tedious. The TIR optics are compact and lightweight, the torch could also be so, but instead it seems unnecessarily heavy to me, almost “steampunk” in construction.

That carrier alone weighs nearly as much as the cells. Or several of my other torches. Including (a real favourite) a Nitecore EC4s that despite being a relative antique, still does a great job of spitting out 2000 lumens plus, seemingly rather efficiently from 2 cells, more elegantly. And fits in my pocket. And runtimes are correct and believable. And I keep a box of four more cells in the other pocket, so am never without. Oh, and the whole thing weighs only 20 grams more than the MF-01 battery carrier.

Nevertheless I do like this thing, bonkers and limited in real world use though it is. I am glad they made it, and glad that I own one, recognising what it can do, and also cannot, despite wishful thinking and a tenuous grasp of the laws of Physics by whoever wrote the spec. sheet. And 18 LEDs in the front do look rather cool, even when they are not, and maybe four would have been enough to do the real job.

Thanks for those numbers. Sadly I don’t recognise the “high” of 2975 lumens because for all useful purposes it steps down quickly, 15 minutes maybe, to what looks like Med1 or even less. I.e. it is really just an ordinary 1000 to 1500-ish lumen torch, which might run at most for four hours or so at that level, off four 18650s. I didn’t even get 3 hours, from brand new 3000mAh cells.

I would love to be proved wrong with better measurements, but I don’t think I will.

The turbo is impressive, but unsustainable beyond a very few minutes.

It is still a nice torch with good LEDs, that can wow you in short bursts, but please don’t expect miracles. An 18650, or four of them, can only do so much.

ANSI runtime was specified years ago before led lights were so powerful that they needed to step down due to heat. As long as output is above 10% of output at 30 seconds from start up, it’s ok. So an aggressive step down of the MF01 to ~2000 lumens is only in the benefit of ANSI runtime.
nevertheless the figures are pretty messed up. Clearly there is a difference in mode spacing between V1 and V2. Well that’s what this forum is for, and Freeme’s help is also much appreciated.
Surely there is a bit of mystery going on with this light in terms of specs, but it sure is one heck of an amazing light. :sunglasses:

Lights are only capable of maintaining what their mass allows them to run as far as heat is concerned.

Yes, but it is the programmed heat management that determines whether the light is actually performing what it is capable of physics wise.

That’s true people just need to remember it’s that way with most performance lights. I’m going to try mine on high to see how long it can maintain it.

Got 26 mins at 2950 on high throttled down to 1950 still running at 38 mins.see how long it stays.

Maybe 2, perhaps 2.5 hours left, with diminishing output I confidently predict. Not sure how you got yours to maintain 2950 for 26 minutes, mine seems to step down reliably after 15 and I don’t over-heat my house. Don’t let it suck your cells dry, it will if you let it. Stop the experiment once the green led turns red. Let it run down below that and you could be damaging your cells, it won’t turn itself off until the absolute minimum last gasp.